22lr precision 50 yard scope info needed ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by WarEagle32, Jan 14, 2017.

1. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I've got a serious chipmunk problem in my yard. They have taken over my yard. I Thought I had an erosion problem but just found out that they are they are burrowing near my very nice concrete driveway and could easily ruin it as they have a closer neighbors. I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME! I just moved in this very nice home the end of summer and realized right before winter that I have a MAJOR chipmunk burrowing problem that is for the record books. I've just purchased a couple of spade female cats that are better hunters than males, and also I have a local pest control company that is experienced with killing them coming on Monday. I just bought a very sweet Savage FV SR threaded, fluted bull Barreled 22lr with the Accutrigger that is a real real tack driver. I put my Vortex Viper FFP 4-16 on it and it will knock the fleas off a dog at 45 yards. Though I need another Scope that is cheaper than my FFP Viper that will basically do very very similar. My longest shot will be 47 yards but typical shot will be 30-40 yards, but need to be able to hit a silver dollar at those distances. I know the right subsonic Eley, Norma, Lapua, CCI and Federal to use. Scope is my missing puzzle piece! I'd love to spend between 2-300 not counting that I already have the mounts. I'm looking at a 4-12x40 Leupold VX-1 LR Plex. Or a Vortex Diamondback 4-12-40 V plex.... I need a thin thin crosshair (reticle) Scope for not a ton of cash. I can honestly shoot as good as my equipment in all honesty I just need a good enough tool at scope to do the job for the least $. I know that shooting a 22lr very precise at around 50 yards is an Olympic art! I'm sure there are other scopes that I have NO clue about that I would love to hear from guys! Or agree with one I'm looking at. Serious Opinions wanted! Thanks a ton!

2. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

I've used a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9x40 with good results, but mine has the BDC reticle. It's good glass and won't break the bank. I've gotten dime-sized groups at 50 yards using it. Reminds me that I need to take the 10-22 on an outing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Mystro, zukyota and glide like this.

3. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I've got Mueller 8.5-25x44 and 8-32x44 on my two most accurate 22LR's.

Both are rock solid and crystal clear.

Around $200 to $260.

4. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

5. plp

plp

I've had a BSA Sweet 22 scope on the wife's FV SR now for about 5 years, and is dialed in at 75 yards. She is good to 100 or 50, POI is only a fraction high or low for either. It has been rock solid reliable, two weeks ago she took it out of the case and put the first 10 rounds at 50 yards within 2 inches, first time she has shot it in a year. No adjustment needed.

Yes, it is inexpensive, but not cheap.

https://swfa.com/bsa-3-9x40-sweet-22-riflescope-1.html

BTW, have the 36 grain mount, and all she shoots are the 'supposely crappy' Remington Golden Bullets, which will totally kill a clay pigeon, laid out on a backstop, at 115 yards, with boring regularity.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  6. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I am assuming you do live out in the country with not many neighbor's, correct.

wp

WarEagle32 likes this.
  8. plp

plp

Another couple I recommend are the Bushnel Banner and the Nikon Pro Staff, both very durable (don't have either on .22LR, but do quite well on more powerful calibers) scopes that won't break the bank.

Nikon optics, in my opinion, are the best bang for the buck. I have an older Nikon 422 survey instrument that is almost 20 years old, and the optics are incredible for a 3000 dollar total station back when it was brand new.

9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Had problems with them eating my bird feed.

I use a Havahart trap. Though by the time I get home, somehow they're half eaten by the birds.

Then raccoons wanted a piece of the action. Trapped them, too.

10. peng

peng

All you need are those cats, they are stone cold killers. Problem will be gone in a week, they do not only kill to eat. Make sure the pest control guys know you have cats if they are using poison. At those distances you could use any old fixed 4x cheapie also. Good luck and have fun getting rid of your problem.

plp likes this.
  11. Current Resident

Current Resident

I have the BSA Sweet on a couple of my .22, one I can put 10 rounds in a business card at 100 yards with RGB bulk.

I also bought and installed some BSA centerfire scopes and installed them on other .22 rifles. I've had great success and zero problems with them.

plp likes this.
  12. ede

ede

I'd spend the money on poison if you want to kill the critters. As for a scope I go with Weaver's for low end rifle and Leupold for high end rifle. At the distance you want to shoot I'd look at a fixed power scope, you'll get more scope for the money. Down side is fixed power scopes are harder to find anymore.

Current Resident likes this.
  13. ronin.45

ronin.45

I put a Nikon Prostaff 2.5-10x on my 10/22. It's a nice piece of glass for $200. You could always go more power in your budget too. The 3.5-14x would come in under your budget on amazon.

plp likes this.
  14. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

The Nikon 3-9x rimfire prostaff will run you $120-130 or so if you shop carefully. Sometimes they are on sale for less.

The Mueller APV 4.5-14x will run you about the same, sometimes cheaper at sportsmansguide. I tend to think however that a 4.4-14x is too much for the distances the OP mentioned.

If you want cheap, the Simmons 3-9x 22 Mag AO will run you $60-80

15. willieH

willieH

This is the same rifle with a couple of additions, one is the inexpensive Mueller APV AO 4.5-14x40mm Scope. It will work very well for your purposes. The scope isn't this long, the optional sunshade adds to the length.

I might add that this bolt rifle is usually shot suppressed and it is exceptionally quiet, more so than a semi-auto 22lr using the same ammo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I vote for the leupold because I think they have better glass than Vortex on the ones I've seen. In good daylight it doesn't matter much and I like the value of the Vortex, and they are well made. But in dim light, Leupold will be better.

I'm sure this can vary by specific models, but overall is my opinion :)

17. ede

ede

I had a couple of the Savage rifles and couldn't get them to shoot very well with any ammo I tried. Go with a Leupold.

18. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I read and watched tons on what top notch 50 yard 22lr. competitive shooters recommend and use themselves and have decided on a Pride Fowler 3-12x42 SF FFP illuminated Scope. It will be here before the weekend. I was in a place where I could spend a bit and my wife was on board with the terrible situation she sees. I hadn't heard of Pride Fowler other than their super high tier spec ops scopes. The videos on YouTube as well as the excellent reviews sold me on it. This one was about 350 and I'm going to order mounts shortly. I really wanted illuminated super thin crosshairs like on my FFP Vortex Viper. Therefore, I ultimately decided I was going to get an FFP to go on it. It came down to a 3-15 Weaver Super Slam(VERY VERY UNDERRATED). A close friend bought one and it's Scary AWESOME, but I went for this 3-12 Pride Fowler that's tailor made for a 22lr because if this bad boy does it's job it is gonna be a lifetime tack driver for me! However, if I get this Pride Fowler and hate it I am going to send it back and really splurge to get a Weaver 3-15 FFP Super Slam. Though I really have a good feeling on this Pride Fowler I've got coming! Me, my wife, and the concrete in my driveway are counting on it lol!!!!

19. glide

glide Just sayin'

I went with a Nikon Pro Staff Rimfire scope for my Ruger Tactical Target rifle and my Benjamin pump air rifle. Very robust and well made for the rigors of shooting .22 pellets and .22LR rimfire. Prices you just can beat for the features and quality this scope has.

20. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Primary Arms has several high quality scopes that rival higher priced ones.