.22lr pocket pistol

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jefe, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jefe

Jefe

I am looking for a 22 pocket pistol for backpacking (it has to be a 22 as the laws in NC only allow 22 on gamelands outside of hunting). Right now it is between the Beretta Bobcat 21a or the Walther P22 with a 3.4 inch barrel.

Is one of these more reliable than the other? Also, does the extra inch on the walther make it significantly more accurate or increase muzzle velocity?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

The Beretta 21A is one of the best of these type pistols in my opinion. I had one a few years back, but unfortunately decided to trade it. The tip-up barrel is handy for loading and unloading, and mine did seem to produce decent velocity with some of the hotter .22LR offerings available.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010

3. Atomix52

Atomix52

I have both, and I like the Beretta for what you are talking about (more compact). The Walther is a fine gun, too. I guess I like having options.

4. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Of the two I'd pick the Beretta. Have you looked into some of the excellent .22 revolvers that are available?

5. Protector1911

Protector1911

I carry a 22mag, North American Arms revolver with me at all times as a backup. It makes a great little gun backup gun, and pretty accurate at close range. I alos have a p22 that i do not carry it was purchased more for fun, and somthing my sons can learn to shoot with than carry. Check into those mini revolvers, you can pick them up for about 150 bucks.

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I wouldn't call the P22 a pocket pistol, nor especially reliable. My two are 100% w/ their preferred ammo and some tweaking, but they're definitely picky.

Um, would an extra .003" sneak past?

7. Jefe

Jefe

How is the reliability of th p22?

8. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Agree... this is a great little pocket gun.

[​IMG]

9. Dogguy

Dogguy

While I would never recommend a .22 for self-defense, I have been known to drop a Beretta 21a in my pocket on occasions. Mine has been very reliable for over two decades but I admit it is not carried or shot very much.

10. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

I wouldn't mind selling mine. It has less than 20 rounds through it. Also, wooden grips. $325 for gun & Superfly holster. PayPal only plus actual shipping charges from my FFL to yours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

I have a P22 and I think it is a great pistol.

With Fed Champion 40gr LRN bullets (the ones in the 50rd box for $1.42) it will shot a 4" group at 20yds off handed.

After +2,500rds, mine has been 100% reliable with the only hiccup being a dud load from bulk ammo.

I have even thought about buying another one w/ the longer barrel.

Paul

12. napp32

napp32

Does it have to be a pocket pistol? If I were backpacking in the woods, I would probably prefer one of the larger .22 cal pistols even at the expense of a little extra weight. This would open up a lot more choices for you in both automatics and revolvers. Just my thoughts.

13. Jefe

Jefe

NC law only allows ".22 caliber pistols with barrels, not greater than 7.5 inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition" in National Forests.

I think carry in the pocket will be the easiest way to make it quickly available while backpacking.

14. stengun

stengun

Hwdy Jefe,

Heck, in this case I would pick either a Browning BuckMark (my #1 choice.), Ruger MKIII or maybe a S&W .22LR pistol and get aan Uncle Mike's hip holster and wear it on your belt.

No need to carry a little pocket pistol.

Paul

15. Spankywombat

Spankywombat

If you are really looking for a "pocket pistol," you really might find a small revolver more comfortable and reliable. I happen to have one for sale in the Firearms section if you're interested......

16. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

This would fit the bill nicely.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=370&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

8 rd cap. in .22 mag, 9 rd cap. in .22 LR, adjustable sights, guaranteed to go bang, I would no way carry a .22 pistol for defensive purposes that didn't have a second strike capability. Rimfire ammo isn't exactly known for reliability.

Personally I'd lean towards the .22 mag version and some CCI Maxi-Mag FMJs, but if you are limited to LR only the LR version with some CCI Velocitors wouldn't be bad.

17. glockman23

glockman23

I've shot a P22 a couple of times and was underwhelmed by it to say the least. Looks cool though :cool:.

If I was looking at an auto I'd look into the berettas.

I'm a huge NAA fan, but it may be too small for some and only has about a 10 yard effective range. More of a last ditch self defense pistol or a "face gun". Definetly have to get up close and personal.

18. GlockontheRocks

GlockontheRocks

Revolver 4" barrel. Hip Holster or shoulder holster. .22 mag preferred. Do you local laws allow .17hmr? That would be a nice hot little load comparable to .22mag.

19. R_W

R_W

I have a similar issue. I end up carrying my Glock with Advantage Arms .22 conversion.