GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,560 Posts
That’s not true. Have you ever studied this, for example in defensive calibers there’s very little difference in effectiveness between the various service calibers like 9-40-45, heck statistically on humans a good 9mm isn’t less effective than a .44mag. And those we can legitimately get into caliber wars over. but all are much more effective than a .22lr. not to mention it’s a rimfire.

When we take people out black bear hunting behind dogs we don’t mind if they use .243-45/70 or 12-20 gauge slug shotguns or .357 and up handguns. We don’t want them using less than that, like wise if they show up with a 50BMG we’d laugh them out of the woods. Again the right tool for the job within certain perimeters. Doesn’t have to be the biggest.
What do you mean, 'that's not true'? It's absolutely true, there's always bigger calibers than .22LR.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
You know, we can go back and forth all day on this, but the argument is always the same, that's a fact. It's called a 'caliber war' and it never ends.

You see, even you say 'find better options'...there are always 'better options', all the way up to an M1 Abrams tank...but let's say they get a .32, and you will piss on that choice, too...then up to a .380, and hey, that's too weak, also...and like I said, on and on and up the caliber ladder it goes, no matter the choice.
What do you mean, 'that's not true'? It's absolutely true, there's always bigger calibers than .22LR.
You said there is always better options up to tank. You said if they get a .32 I’ll piss on that and on to .380 and I’ll say that’s to weak. Did you even read what I posted. It’s not true.

If they opt for a .38 spl, I’m not going to argue for a .357 because there both viable defensive calibers. If a guy brings a 30/30 to bear camp I don’t argue he should be using a 45/70 because both work just fine, if he shows up with a .22 hornet then I’m going to argue for something bigger even though it could work. Like I said if that’s all you have or can handle have at it.

·
Premium Member
10,560 Posts
Okey dokey then.

Reactions: fg17

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My preference is a 9mm for defensive use. That’s just my opinion after listening to the recommendations of the NRA and given the choice I believe most defensive handgun trainers would agree.

But it’s up to the individual to decide. .22 wouldn’t be my choice for home defense (unless it has a “3” behind the first “.22”) but to each their own.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm generally a 9mm guy. I LOVE my Glock 17L. But, today I got to handle (not shoot), a Taurus TX 22. My experience gelled with some things I've been reading and with some friends experiences as we all age.

One friend (mid-70's), has a Ruger SP101. She finds it very hard to pull DA and the recoil of any .38 Special (it's never seen Magnum ammunition since she bought it), hurts her hands. She doesn't practice anymore.

She can't rack the slide on my old Browning High Power (they can be hard to cycle). My Glock 17L kicked too hard.

I have other friends in similar situations. I think that the TX 22 is a natural for them. I like the ambi-manual safeties that, to me, make the gun a lot safer than a Glock for some people (I found them easy to operate), and the trigger is quite good and is of an interesting design that gives a good smack to the rimfire cartridge. Paul Harrell has done a good review of the TX 22 on YT.

There are other examples out there, but I think the TX 22 is a 21st century Kit Gun, a firearm that a lot of outdoors people used to carry, and the fact that it has a 16-round magazine doesn't hurt.

Is the .22LR a really great combat cartridge? No, of course not. But if it's something that you can get better hits with and it doesn't hurt your hands, your wallet, or your eardrums nearly as much, then it's a much smarter choice than what some consider a "serious" handgun.

·
NRA Life Member
5,656 Posts
Following that train of thought I take it you have a S&W 500 next to your bunk or you're compromising .

The 22 wouldn't be my first choice, but it's better than nuthin'.
I actually love .22LR, have far more guns in this caliber than any other. It’s not my bedside gun or the first I’d want if i knew trouble was coming, but it gets a lot of range time and field carry. And it’s not just better than nothing, no one wants shot with one, it would be a very effective deterrent.

That doesn’t mean I think less of it, I just happen to have better options for my “plan A”.

·
Registered
418 Posts
.22LR is cheap and it's going to hurt like hell if you hit a home invader with it. But I think I would want something that can put away a home invader with fewer shots. For example, if the guy is hopped up on drugs, .22LR is not going to be effective unless you hit an artery or CNS component. Then again, 9mm may not be either.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
https://www.usacarry.com/select-pro...for-shooting-to-avoid-permanent-hearing-loss/
  • 25 ACP – 155.0 dB
  • .32 LONG – 152.4 dB
  • .32 ACP – 153.5 dB
  • .380 – 157.7 dB
  • 9mm – 159.8 dB
  • .38 S&W – 153.5 dB
  • .38 Spl – 156.3 dB
  • .357 Magnum – 164.3 dB
  • .40 S&W – 156.5 dB
  • .41 Magnum – 163.2 dB
  • .44 S&W Magnum – 164.5 dB
  • .44 Spl – 155.9 dB
  • .45 ACP – 157.0 dB
  • .45 COLT – 154.7 dB
  • 12 Gauge Shotgun – 155 dB
  • .22 Pistol or Rifle – 140 dB
  • M-16 – 160 dB
A 9mm is twice as loud as a 40? And nearly as loud as an AR-15?

I agree with everything else you said in this post but these numbers are off. A 9mm is certainly a lot louder than a 22 but nowhere near as loud as an AR-15, even one with a 20 inch barrel. And 40s always seemed louder than 9mm to me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
M
This is us.
She is NOT a gun person and all I can get her to shoot is a .22.
My side is usually a .45.[/QUOTEmaybe your wife should not have a handy gun if she is not a gun person. Or maybe you should never get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom?

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Recoil reduction, for your wife, is the main advantage, IMO. Perhaps a big steel-framed gun in 380 might work? It would feed/fire more reliably than a 22LR and make bigger holes. I’m in the camp that says a 22LR would probably work fine, but a bigger caliber is much more likely to work, if you do your part. Everything’s a trade-off, and it’s up to you to decide.

Oh, and getting a bunch of time behind your gun of choice, no matter the caliber, will make all the difference in the world. If you just have your wife put 50 rounds through a gun, she will know how it works but handling it will not be second nature. Under stress, she will only be able to pick it up and pull the trigger. Again, maybe fine if everything goes perfectly (bad guy doesn’t take her by surprise, stands still for her, she gets perfect hits, ammo all feeds and fires perfectly, she doesn’t need to reload, bad guy cares about getting hurt, the safety (if present) isn’t engaged). Will everything go perfectly?

·
Huge Member
11,072 Posts
Mac's 5 Rules of Self Defense

1. The mere presence of a gun stops most contentious behavior. Nobody wants to get shot.

2. Any gun is better than no gun

3. Shot placement is more important than caliber

4. Hits count

5. If you have/carry a gun you must be ready, willing and able to use it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If they are hitting a target it’s still a hit. Maybe a 10” group COM at 40’ under stress is good enough? If centered...
The key phrase here is UNDER STRESS. That "moment" does surprising things to ones fine motor skills. Some see more clear and things slow down, others go to condition black. Or a combination of both. Back to the OP's question, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

·
I. B. Glockin'...again. :^)
1,719 Posts
While it's true that there is no substitute for the well placed shot, my thinking here is that in a situation where the intruder will likely be very close to you when you first become aware of his presence and you may be coming up out of a sound sleep, You may not have time to fire many shots. If your first one or two don't hit a vital spot you may have a problem.

I prefer something with a little bit more "stank" on it myself. After all, if I have to shoot someone I don't want to shoot them just a little bit.

That's a good point about the noise factor but job #1 is to stop the bad guy. My G-20SF is my current bedside and travel choice. I feel pretty good about that.

Reactions: rlewpolar

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Back in the 60's when I didn't know any better I fired 8mm Mausers and 30-30's and 12 gauge shotguns and a 38 Special and a 45 Auto sometimes without ear protection but other times I'd use cigarette butts and this was all outdoors and it made my ears ring but it wasn't bad.

But one time years later I fired a 30 Carbine Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel outdoors and I was with a bunch of guys and we were taking a break at the top of a hill with the back stop behind us and we all had our earplugs out. That day we were shooting at old bowling balls to see which gun would do the most damage and one of us got teh bright idea to roll one down the hill and we all drew our guns and started blasting away at it with out putting on our ear plugs.

I immediately lost 90 percent of my hearing and it didn't come back for six hours and my ears were hurting and ringing after that all the next day. The temporary hearing loss was first of all, troubling, because I wasn't sure if it was ever going to come back, but also disorienting and effected my balance an made me nauseous. I also began to lose my hearing in my 60's and now in my 70's I wear hearing aids today but I don't think it was just that one incident but I'm sure it didn't do me any good.

So yes, all guns ar loud but some a LOT louder than others as measured in decibels. You can read reports on the decible levels of different guns but the figures are never exact because it differs with barrel length and indificual guns.

But the reason why some guns are a LOT louder than others is because decibels are measured on a logarithmic rather than a linear scale and a gun that is 3 decibels louder produces TWICE the sonic energy.

Here's a table showing the estimated decibel levels of certain calibers and I already see one obvious error and that is that they are estimating the decibel level of 22 pistol or rifle rto be teh sam while most other sources say that the 22 pistol is at least 3 decibels higher than a 22 rifle and anyone who has shot both, know that the pistol is louder than the rifle.

https://www.usacarry.com/select-pro...for-shooting-to-avoid-permanent-hearing-loss/
  • 25 ACP – 155.0 dB
  • .32 LONG – 152.4 dB
  • .32 ACP – 153.5 dB
  • .380 – 157.7 dB
  • 9mm – 159.8 dB
  • .38 S&W – 153.5 dB
  • .38 Spl – 156.3 dB
  • .357 Magnum – 164.3 dB
  • .40 S&W – 156.5 dB
  • .41 Magnum – 163.2 dB
  • .44 S&W Magnum – 164.5 dB
  • .44 Spl – 155.9 dB
  • .45 ACP – 157.0 dB
  • .45 COLT – 154.7 dB
  • 12 Gauge Shotgun – 155 dB
  • .22 Pistol or Rifle – 140 dB
  • M-16 – 160 dB
(edit) Note that the 45 colt produces 3 DB less sonic energy than the 45 ACP and the only other cartridges that are only one or two decibels quieter are the 32 auto and the 32 Long.
Yes...a .45 Colt revolver (non-ported) makes a great HD gun. A set of Crimson Trace grips and you are good to go.
The one ND I have had (so far) in 40 years of shooting was a .44 spl. Inside our house. Not a problem with my ears at all.
Tore up the two pillows the muzzle was pointed at though..

If you are willing to go to two rounds I guess you could use a Bond Arms 4.25” . No barrel-cylinder gap....

·
17,637 Posts
Yes...a .45 Colt revolver (non-ported) makes a great HD gun. A set of Crimson Trace grips and you are good to go.
The one ND I have had (so far) in 40 years of shooting was a .44 spl. Inside our house. Not a problem with my ears at all.
Tore up the two pillows the muzzle was pointed at though..

If you are willing to go to two rounds I guess you could use a Bond Arms 4.25” . No barrel-cylinder gap....
The only problem with a 45 colt revolver is that ther aren't very many to chose from. Those that are smaller and lighter for people with small hands are 5 shot guns and for a 6 shot your only choices are either a S&W N-frame (which I wouldn't hesitate to use) or a Colt Peacemaker clone which is great if you could shoot like Bob Munden, but generally DA revolvers are superior to single actions but you do need some training to be able to use them effectively.

And that Bond derringer would be a poor choice for several reasons, the first being that you have to cock the hammer for every shot and worst being that you only have two shots. They also have a grip that's too small in proportion to the gun and isn't very ergonomic.

Of the five shots, Charter arms makes one, and Taurus used to, but it was ported, But now Taurus makes the Judge which also fire .410 but the 45 colt is ballistically superior and is a better defensive round In spite of what some people think about being able to fire a "Shotgun" shell out of a revolver. But the fact is that the .410 loses a lot of it's power when fired out of a 3 or 4 or even a six inch pistol compared to a 24 inch shotgun barrel.

And the only really good defensive load for the .410 pistol is the 3 inch shell with 5 pellets of 000 buck and that has more recoil and muzzle blast than the 45 Colt. In my opinion the Taurus Judge in .410 is best for shooting either aerial targets or snakes, but not necessarily the big ones with two legs. It would hurt to be shot with one, but it might not stop an armed attacker with a birdshot load at reduced velocity out of a pistol barrel.

And also, since the 45 ACP is not that different from the 45 Colt, a Glock 21 is probably the ideal home defense weapon with it's ammo capacity, ease and simplicity of operation, and reliability, and recoil is really not all that bad. I have seen small women and 10 year old kids shoot 1911's with a great deal of skill. And the G20 with the SF frame or the gen 4 with the smallest backstrap can fit smaller hands.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Wow CanyonMan! That is really cool. A Ruger? Pardon my ignorance.

I have only once used a single action for defense. Wifey and I vacationed in Delaware and I had no CCW valid in DE. (I do now.)
So I brought my Vaquero special edition with a 3.75" barrel. (.45 Colt.) When we went out I took the cylinder with me-figured a gun part would not be illegal. And did not want to leave a functioning gun in our room
Was thankful for that Vaquero-it was the end of the season. The motel was closed but they honored the reservation they made. At night there were no staff and our room was the only light in the building. Weird.
They had closed because A bunch of drunken kids had rioted and wrecked stores on that street.
Every street light was busted out. Every parking lot light was out.

It was like being in the last living cell of a dead body.

I was so glad I had that Vaquero. (And a flashlight.)
Still have it. If we vacation again in DE, I can carry on my Utah permit.

·
Registered
906 Posts
...my wife could take the gun and use it in case I'm unable to. (My wife is not into guns and not interested in getting more familiar with guns)
Leaving a gun with someone untrained above and below the neck is dangerous. These types often find themselves on the business end of their own gun. Or hurting themselves/an innocent.Terrible idea. Same for .22 - just enough to piss-off but probably not stop someone...and then they really want to hurt the shooter.:(

101 - 120 of 121 Posts