GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I worked at a gun store we had a lady come in. She had arthritis issues with her hands however she loved to shoot and her Roger 22 worked for her. She wanted something for,home defense I told her more ammo and mags she was great with her Ruger,22 I saw many of her 25 yd targets and she was deadly.
One or our

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry machine s red up He recommend a colt 45. With her issues I. Wasn't possible she got a,new refer 22 ruler with many extra and. Ci mini mag ammo and lived happily ever after

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
The argument is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the same: 'There are better choices'...the 38 is better than the 22, the 10mm is better than the 38, on and on and on it inevitably goes...every. single. time.

Ultimately, if you're not carrying around a Barrett 50...well, you'll be attacked because 'hell, you ain't a real man'...you're just another uninformed idiot who makes poor choices.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
When I worked at a gun store we had a lady come in. She had arthritis issues with her hands however she loved to shoot and her Roger 22 worked for her. She wanted something for,home defense I told her more ammo and mags she was great with her Ruger,22 I saw many of her 25 yd targets and she was deadly.
One or our
Reminds me of an event years ago...

My friend (78 then, long gone now) shot his Mark I Ruger .22 daily-in his basement and at our range. (He lived in Upper Merion Township which is not rural.)

Also very proud of his garden One day sitting on the back porch he saw a rabbit eating away at his plants. So he did the only proper thing-he dropped it with a head shot.
One of his neighbors-who was willing to tolerate the muffled reports from the basement BUT NOT THIS, called the po-lice.

Officer arrived.My friend said "Can't lie-i shot a rabbit eating my garden up."
"WHAT!" said the officer-"discharge of a firearm within the township is a prohibited act!!"

My friend showed him one of his targets-a one inch hole in the 10 ring of a target. "This is 50 rounds of .22 at 25 feet."

Officer, "oh...well...be careful."

·
17,599 Posts
Never shot one and I’ve only seen them shot at an indoor range with ear protection on so I can’t even comment on the muzzle report either. I was just going on of what guys have told me about their recoil/reliability. I feel like anything shot indoors is going to suck for your ear drums lol.
Back in the 60's when I didn't know any better I fired 8mm Mausers and 30-30's and 12 gauge shotguns and a 38 Special and a 45 Auto sometimes without ear protection but other times I'd use cigarette butts and this was all outdoors and it made my ears ring but it wasn't bad.

But one time years later I fired a 30 Carbine Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel outdoors and I was with a bunch of guys and we were taking a break at the top of a hill with the back stop behind us and we all had our earplugs out. That day we were shooting at old bowling balls to see which gun would do the most damage and one of us got teh bright idea to roll one down the hill and we all drew our guns and started blasting away at it with out putting on our ear plugs.

I immediately lost 90 percent of my hearing and it didn't come back for six hours and my ears were hurting and ringing after that all the next day. The temporary hearing loss was first of all, troubling, because I wasn't sure if it was ever going to come back, but also disorienting and effected my balance an made me nauseous. I also began to lose my hearing in my 60's and now in my 70's I wear hearing aids today but I don't think it was just that one incident but I'm sure it didn't do me any good.

So yes, all guns ar loud but some a LOT louder than others as measured in decibels. You can read reports on the decible levels of different guns but the figures are never exact because it differs with barrel length and indificual guns.

But the reason why some guns are a LOT louder than others is because decibels are measured on a logarithmic rather than a linear scale and a gun that is 3 decibels louder produces TWICE the sonic energy.

Here's a table showing the estimated decibel levels of certain calibers and I already see one obvious error and that is that they are estimating the decibel level of 22 pistol or rifle rto be teh sam while most other sources say that the 22 pistol is at least 3 decibels higher than a 22 rifle and anyone who has shot both, know that the pistol is louder than the rifle.

https://www.usacarry.com/select-pro...for-shooting-to-avoid-permanent-hearing-loss/
  • 25 ACP – 155.0 dB
  • .32 LONG – 152.4 dB
  • .32 ACP – 153.5 dB
  • .380 – 157.7 dB
  • 9mm – 159.8 dB
  • .38 S&W – 153.5 dB
  • .38 Spl – 156.3 dB
  • .357 Magnum – 164.3 dB
  • .40 S&W – 156.5 dB
  • .41 Magnum – 163.2 dB
  • .44 S&W Magnum – 164.5 dB
  • .44 Spl – 155.9 dB
  • .45 ACP – 157.0 dB
  • .45 COLT – 154.7 dB
  • 12 Gauge Shotgun – 155 dB
  • .22 Pistol or Rifle – 140 dB
  • M-16 – 160 dB
(edit) Note that the 45 colt produces 3 DB less sonic energy than the 45 ACP and the only other cartridges that are only one or two decibels quieter are the 32 auto and the 32 Long.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
The argument is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the same: 'There are better choices'...the 38 is better than the 22, the 10mm is better than the 38, on and on and on it inevitably goes...every. single. time.

Ultimately, if you're not carrying around a Barrett 50...well, you'll be attacked because 'hell, you ain't a real man'...you're just another uninformed idiot who makes poor choices.
That’s being overly dramatic. Sure it will work but there is a thing as correct tool for the job. Within that correct tool there are many variations. If that’s all you have or all you can handle have at it, but some time you can find better options that are much better and only marginally harder to handle.

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
That’s being overly dramatic. Sure it will work but there is a thing as correct tool for the job. Within that correct tool there are many variations. If that’s all you have or all you can handle have at it, but some time you can find better options that are much better and only marginally harder to handle.
You know, we can go back and forth all day on this, but the argument is always the same, that's a fact. It's called a 'caliber war' and it never ends.

You see, even you say 'find better options'...there are always 'better options', all the way up to an M1 Abrams tank...but let's say they get a .32, and you will piss on that choice, too...then up to a .380, and hey, that's too weak, also...and like I said, on and on and up the caliber ladder it goes, no matter the choice.

·
17,599 Posts
When I worked at a gun store we had a lady come in. She had arthritis issues with her hands however she loved to shoot and her Ruger 22 worked for her. She wanted something for,home defense I told her more ammo and mags she was great with her Ruger,22 I saw many of her 25 yd targets and she was deadly.
One or our
Most older people with arthritis are not Annie Oakley or Wild Bill Hickok. The best home defense weapon for someone who has trouble racking a slide or pulling a DA trigger and without much training is a Ruger 10-22 carbine with a factory 25 round mag loaded with CCI Velocitors.

The Velocitors will do anywhere from about 1375 to 1400 with a 40 grain gold dot JHP that will actually expand at those velocities but out of a 4 inch pistol barrel it's down to 1050-1100 fps and won't expand as much. The Aguila interceptor 40 grain JHP's generally produce more velocity than the CCI Velocitors but the Velocitors are more accurate in my 10-22's and 10-22 Charger.

But the biggest advantage is you have 25 round to get the job done with an it's easier to aim and chamber a round and it's easier on the ears indoors.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You know, we can go back and forth all day on this, but the argument is always the same, that's a fact. It's called a 'caliber war' and it never ends.

You see, even you say 'find better options'...there are always 'better options', all the way up to an M1 Abrams tank...but let's say they get a .32, and you will piss on that choice, too...then up to a .380, and hey, that's too weak, also...and like I said, on and on and up the caliber ladder it goes, no matter the choice.
That’s not true. Have you ever studied this, for example in defensive calibers there’s very little difference in effectiveness between the various service calibers like 9-40-45, heck statistically on humans a good 9mm isn’t less effective than a .44mag. And those we can legitimately get into caliber wars over. but all are much more effective than a .22lr. not to mention it’s a rimfire.

When we take people out black bear hunting behind dogs we don’t mind if they use .243-45/70 or 12-20 gauge slug shotguns or .357 and up handguns. We don’t want them using less than that, like wise if they show up with a 50BMG we’d laugh them out of the woods. Again the right tool for the job within certain perimeters. Doesn’t have to be the biggest.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Most older people with arthritis are not Annie Oakley or Wild Bill Hickok. The best home defense weapon for someone who has trouble racking a slide or pulling a DA trigger and without much training is a Ruger 10-22 carbine with a factory 25 round mag loaded with CCI Velocitors.

The Velocitors will do anywhere from about 1375 to 1400 with a 40 grain gold dot JHP that will actually expand at those velocities but out of a 4 inch pistol barrel it's down to 1050-1100 fps and won't expand as much. The Aguila interceptor 40 grain JHP's generally produce more velocity than the CCI Velocitors but the Velocitors are more accurate in my 10-22's and 10-22 Charger.

But the biggest advantage is you have 25 round to get the job done with an it's easier to aim and chamber a round and it's easier on the ears indoors.
If I had to use a .22 that’s not a bad choice. Maybe look at the magnum research or other in 22 mag.

·
Premium Member
25,309 Posts
Shooting someone with a 22 is gonna make them mad!

Then he'll have a better reason to do bad things to you and your wife.
You do realize the 5.56 is only minutely bigger? In common loads it’s similar, hair more weight? Volicity, bullet composition are biggest differences. I find it amazing the hate for the lowly .22. Are there better choices? IMO yes. But it’s not the worst.

·
Huge Member
11,063 Posts

·
17,599 Posts
You do realize the 5.56 is only minutely bigger? In common loads it’s similar, hair more weight? Volicity, bullet composition are biggest differences. I find it amazing the hate for the lowly .22. Are there better choices? IMO yes. But it’s not the worst.
"I find it amazing the hate for the lowly .22."

I don't hate it, I love it. When fired from a rifle, it's deadly far out of proportion to it's size.but fired out of a pistol it loses a great deal of it's magic.

So if anyone for any reason doesn't have the skill or the strength or the ability to shoot a real defensive handgun, they should get a semi-auto Ruger 10-22 which is easy to aim, easy to shoot and easy to chamber around and is 100 percent reliable with a factory 25 round mag.

But to say that the 223 is only minutely more powerful than the 22 rimfire is absurd. If that were true our military would be using 22 rimnfires instead of the .223. And to say it's not the best but it's not the worst is simply not true. Ballistically, when fired from a short barrel, the only thing that's worse is a pellet gun.

And while even a pellet gun can kill you, in a defensive situation, the object is not to eventually kill the attacker but to immediately stop the attack before the attacker can do you great bodily harm or kill you.

·
Premium Member
25,309 Posts
"I find it amazing the hate for the lowly .22."

I don't hate it, I love it. When fired from a rifle, it's deadly far out of proportion to it's size.but firred out of a pistol it loses a great deal of it's magic.

So if anyone for any reason doesn't have the skill or the strength or the ability to shoot a real defensive handgun, they should get a semi-auto Ruger 10-22 which is easy to aim, easy to shoot and easy to chamber around and is 100 percent reliable with a factory 25 round mag.

But to say that the 223 is only minutely more powerful than the 22 rimfire is absurd. If that were true our military would be using 22 rimnfires instead of the .223. And to say it's not the best but it's not the worst is simply not true. Ballistically, when fired from a short barrel, the only thing that's worse is a pellet gun.

And while even a pellet gun can kill you, in a defensive situation, the object is not to eventually kill the attacker but to immediately stop the attack before the attacker can do you great bodily harm or kill you.
Oh this is getting fun. Thanks op. I mentioned in size, weight they are close. I even hinted where the HUGE difference is. Velocity. 6x is possible. And bullet composition.
Worse? A harsh (or terrified) word.
I carry a knife. (Especially when I can’t carry a gun). I had minimal training. Just enough to know if they have a knife. My current speed, movement. I will get cut. A single youth, no training. I’m at a disadvantage with a knife. I won’t give up but deception, surprise are my best options.
My .22 at under 20’ I can dump 10 rds into face. I doubt more then 3 will be needed to change intentions. Even if rushed COM it will distract non armored attackers. (True a leather jacket, denim shirt over cold weather clothes could slow it)
Last 6 yrs I switched toward “failure to stop” thinking. If not instant results to com, change target. Up, or down depending which I have best line. (So mostly up)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

You make excellent points. But wielding even a carbine can be very clumsy when we are talking about an older person w/o upper body strength.
OTOH there are good .22 pistols with 6” barrels.

·
17,599 Posts
Oh this is getting fun. Thanks op. I mentioned in size, weight they are close. I even hinted where the HUGE difference is. Velocity. 6x is possible. And bullet composition.
Worse? A harsh (or terrified) word.
I carry a knife. (Especially when I can’t carry a gun). I had minimal training. Just enough to know if they have a knife. My current speed, movement. I will get cut. A single youth, no training. I’m at a disadvantage with a knife. I won’t give up but deception, surprise are my best options.
My .22 at under 20’ I can dump 10 rds into face. I doubt more then 3 will be needed to change intentions. Even if rushed COM it will distract non armored attackers. (True a leather jacket, denim shirt over cold weather clothes could slow it)
Last 6 yrs I switched toward “failure to stop” thinking. If not instant results to com, change target. Up, or down depending which I have best line. (So mostly up)
I used to carry a knife for defensive purposes (a Spyderco Endura) when I lived in Los Angeles and I did construction work all over the city but often in Watts, Compton, Inglewood, and East L.A. an dI even lived in an all black neighborhood in Pacoima for a while near the Foothill division where Rodney king got pulled over.

But that was when I was in my late thirties early 40's and capable at hand-to-hand combat and in good physical condition and I'm a big guy, 6'3" 220 but was a little heavier back then with more muscle mass. But now I'm 73 years old and the absolute minimum I will carry is an 8 round 32 Keltec which I consider far superior in every way to any short barreled 22 handgun especially those NAA five shot single actions where even the 22 magnums have piss-poor ballistics out of a one and a half inch barrel.

·
17,599 Posts
You make excellent points. But wielding even a carbine can be very clumsy when we are talking about an older person w/o upper body strength.
OTOH there are good .22 pistols with 6” barrels.
On the other hand, there is something less clumsy and more maneuverable in close quarters and that is ther Ruge 10-22 charger "pistol" with a ten inch barrel and greater ammo capacity and better reliability than any 6 inch barreled handgun.

But if you could handle a 6 inch barreled handgun, a far better choice than a 22 would be a smith and wesson model 10 shooting low recoil target wadcutters. Or if you like semi-autos, a CZ83 has 15 plus 1 rounds of light recoiling 32 ACP goodness and is also ballistically superior to a 22 rimfire.

·
woo woo
30,553 Posts
If all you can manage is a .22 pistol, use it. It would be advisable to make it a DA revolver, 9 shot with 4" or more barrel.
People don't typically regret having too large or loud of a gun after surviving a gunfight, but people also dont stick around long after getting shot with most anything, including .22s

81 - 100 of 121 Posts