GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
125,573 Posts
Condone is not the same as recommend. I recommend a 9mm or larger with a suppressor. But as I don’t have one...
For a night I felt just fine with .22 as handgun. AR in room.
Heck of a lot more useful then the death ray 10mm locked in the safe.
I think more people should be telling him he’s out of his mind since he asked, quite frankly.

·
Premium Member
25,362 Posts
Most everytime I go to the range I see somebody shooting a pistol and the target looks like it's been hit by a shotgun. Holes all over the place and few in the bullseye. I wonder if these guys feel prepared to defend hearth and home?

Hits on target will win a fight. Caliber is secondary to hitting what you aim at.
If they are hitting a target it’s still a hit. Maybe a 10” group COM at 40’ under stress is good enough? If centered...

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Use what you have and what you are comfortable using. Yes, a caliber with a bit more oomph that .22 is preferable. But if all you have is a .22, there you go.

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
... I have recently switched my nightstand gun from a higher caliber one to a 22LR. After careful consideration I have come up with the following points:

... I've had to use it couple times in the last year to chase coyotes away in the middle of the night (coyote behind the window wanting in the chicken coop, wake up but still 1/2 asleep, 22LR is easier caliber to manage, take care of business and go back to sleep without waking up the neighbor at the ranch down the road).

Seriously considering switching from a semi 22LR to a 22LR revolver, to minimize risks of malfunctions and further easiness of use (see point number 3 above).
Thoughts? Anyone else with a 22 in the nightstand?
My F-I-L was a WWII small arms instructor in the Army. After the war he was a revolver man. As a senior he had a Ruger Single Six convertible but he just used the .22 LR cylinder. He had a ranch out in the desert and a snake problem. The .22 with snakeloads was perfect. Bigger problem? A Winchester .30/30 was in the closet. :cowboy:

·
Gunslinger
1,660 Posts
Given the relatively minute chance that I will ever have to wake up and shoot someone in my home, I am willing to live with the potential risks of hearing damage/over penetration (can’t name an instance where this has ever been an issue). I sleep with a .40 cal on the nightstand, and an AK leaned against it. The wife has her 12 gauge on her side of the bed.

If you feel that the .22 is suitable for your needs, then that is all that matters. Chances are you will never need it, and if you do, I don’t imagine any bad guy standing around to determine what caliber the piece is that you just blasted at him with.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
-Lower recoil, muzzle flash and noise means that my wife could take the gun and use it in case I'm unable to. (My wife is not into guns and not interested in getting more familiar with guns)

-I've had to use it couple times in the last year to chase coyotes away in the middle of the night (coyote behind the window wanting in the chicken coop, wake up but still 1/2 asleep, 22LR is easier caliber to manage, take care of business and go back to sleep without waking up the neighbor at the ranch down the road).
I think most people are reading to much into the OP's post. On a ranch a revolver is good to go. You shoot a few coyotes, wild dogs and occasionally a snake. :cowboy:

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,776 Posts
Shooting someone with a 22 is gonna make them mad!

Then he'll have a better reason to do bad things to you and your wife.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,776 Posts
double tap
Nah ---- 15+1 taps.

10mm with XP Underwood in a room will deafen you - but that's the lessor of many evils - some of which I am not going to visit here and now.

But the CNS from a 10mm XP is gotta count for SOMEthing - right?

Of course, that's all speculation since I only want to shot offending bears.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,288 Posts
If that is the largest you can handle, then it is better than nothing. I have several 22LR guns I sometimes pocket for SD. They include an NAA, PPK/s, TPH, .... But that is usually because they are the largest I can carry at the time.

That said, if you don't have to conceal something, then larger is better. My HD nightstand gun is currently a 10mm.

Other negatives may be: A 22 out of a pistol length barrel may not expand. May not create much of a wound channel. May not have great penetration into bodies especially if heavy clothes are worn.

As a compromise, could you stash two weapons? One for you in a more adequate caliber and one in 22 for your wife. But then, if she isn't interested in getting proficient, why put a gun in her hands?

·
Lifetime NRA member
2,621 Posts
I would have no problem with a .22 in my nightstand.
As long as my .45 was lying on top of it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If you're worrying about fumbling around with safeties in the mifddle of the night or rimfire ammo failing then just use a 5 shot .38spl revolver like a S&W 60 loaded with some good defense ammo; just retrieve it, point, and pull the trigger:

20170701_091902.jpg

·
Native Mainiac
20,698 Posts
It “might” be enough and “might” work if you use very reliable ammo like CCI Minimags. I’m sure there would be times it would work. There are also times it would fail and fail miserably.

You will likely never have to shoot to defend your home, but if you do, noise is the least of your problems. A serious home defense gun starts at 9mm but .45acp and 12 gauge are even better.
Following that train of thought I take it you have a S&W 500 next to your bunk or you're compromising .

The 22 wouldn't be my first choice, but it's better than nuthin'.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have you ever shot one? There's very little recoil but the muzzle blast is very loud.
Never shot one and I’ve only seen them shot at an indoor range with ear protection on so I can’t even comment on the muzzle report either. I was just going on of what guys have told me about their recoil/reliability. I feel like anything shot indoors is going to suck for your ear drums lol.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
When my wife went for her concealed carry permit she attended a local class here taught by some guys that were in law enforcement for years but now run a gun range. She was the only woman in the class that day and the instructors made several comments throughout the class about how they weren’t there to show anyone how to load, aim shoot etc and she said it was directed at her, which is no big deal to her she just smiled and paid attention to the class. When it came range time later that afternoon, she pulled out the Smith and Wesson lightweight 6 shot .22 revolver I had sent with her, and proceeded to outshoot everyone in the class that day, handling the gun proficiently and following all instructions, and all shots were in the area of a soup can on the center of target. Her instructors were impressed and told her so. What they didn’t know is that she can shoot other calibers just fine, but I trained her on the .22 way back when we started dating and she was and is very comfortable shooting that caliber and shooting it accurately. What are you comfortable with?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
How about a Ruger PCC 9mm with a can? You’ll probably be even faster and more accurate with it than a .22 pistol. Doubly true for your wife most likely. A braced weapon under duress will always beat a pistol in accuracy when the adrenalin is flowing. Plus you can put a light and red dot on it. That longer barrel will knock the decibels down even further and boost the ballistics of the 9mm round. And the recoil is truly minimal. With a good self defense round like Federal HST in 147gr., you are now armed with a very competent self-defense weapon.

I have a Browning Buckmark Contour that I am ridiculously accurate with. It’s extremely reliable. And yet, I’ve had too many rounds fail to ignite due to the ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
People are seriously worried about hearing loss in a defensive shooting? LOL.
I don’t even worry about it when a big buck comes running in.

·
Florist
19,922 Posts
From the OP's post, it sounds like defending the chicken coop is much more likely than against 2 legged intruders. In that case, I guess a .22 is fine.

For HD/SD the .22 is better than nothing, but there are better choices. How about a .38 cal. revolver, which can be loaded with everything from mild shooting 148gr WC to .38+P 158gr LSWC-HP to "modern" .38 HPs?

Why not have both a .22 and a .38 in the nightstand? This way, if the SHTF you have a .38 and your wife can back you up with the .22.

Reactions: Glock Commander
61 - 80 of 121 Posts