GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Millenium #3936
6,295 Posts
I'm not saying a larger caliber is less accurate. I'm saying hitting the target with a 22LR is better than not hitting it at all.
It may be essentially the same as not hitting the target (at all) if the target manages to attack you anyway. I am not sure how many effective strike opportunities people expect to have during a violent confrontations but I would not be willing to waste that opportunity on a 22LR.

Reactions: Borg Warner

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Machetes are cheaper, cause more trauma and are very quiet. :duel:

Reactions: 45caldan

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Some jakal gets in there with horrible intentions of hurting you and your family, don't give up any advantage. Bigger is better. Use hollow points; they don't go through as many walls. Your ears will most likely recover. Yeah, .22 lr can surely kill someone- about 39 hours later!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
How many police departments are using 22LR pistols considering all the alleged advantages? The money they would save in training/qualification ammo alone would be considerable.

In any case 22LR would certainly not be my choice as caliber to immediately "stop" an imminent threat. I can understand that it is an option for those that simply can not handle shooting anything more powerful, but for the rest of us there are far better choices.

·
17,582 Posts
Hi, I will certainly get lot of different opinion on this subject, but I always find a lot of useful info in this forum, so here it is.
I have recently switched my nightstand gun from a higher caliber one to a 22LR. After careful consideration I have come up with the following points:

-Firing a 22LR indoor will not destroy mine and my loved ones eardrums.
-Minimal wall penetration that could possibly harm family in other rooms of the house.
-Lower recoil, muzzle flash and noise means that my wife could take the gun and use it in case I'm unable to. (My wife is not into guns and not interested in getting more familiar with guns)
-I've had to use it couple times in the last year to chase coyotes away in the middle of the night (coyote behind the window wanting in the chicken coop, wake up but still 1/2 asleep, 22LR is easier caliber to manage, take care of business and go back to sleep without waking up the neighbor at the ranch down the road).

Seriously considering switching from a semi 22LR to a 22LR revolver, to minimize risks of malfunctions and further easiness of use (see point number 3 above).
Thoughts? Anyone else with a 22 in the nightstand?
If you have to use a 22LR handgun, You should use one with at least a four inch barrel because while the 22 LR is deadly out of a rifle, ir loses all of it's magic out of a pistol and is worse out of the shortest barrels and you'd be much better off with a reliable and easy to aim 10-22 carbine beside the bed with a 25 round factory magazine loaded with CCI Velocitors. Even the Ruger10-22 Charger with it's 10 inch barrel will yield velocities pretty close to rifle ballistics

Or for a pistol that is more handy in close quarters there are some that do more damage to the ears than others And a 357 Sig, or any magnum is never good in close quarters. But a .380 is not bad, and both the 380 and the 38 Special are low pressure, low recoiling cartridges and produce fewer decibels than the 9mm, and the 45 ACP produces about the same as 380 but less than a 9mm and additionally the 45 ACP is subsonic even with 230 grain Plus+P ammo.

Sound is measured in decibels (db), much like temperature is measured in degrees and speed in miles (or kilometers) per hour. Like most other units, the bottom of the scale, or 0 db, is an arbitrary setting, which is set at the hearing threshold.

One difference between the decibel scale and most of the other units of measurement, is the fact that the decibel scale is not linear, but logarithmic. In a linear scale, like velocity, if someone's car is moving at 100 mph, we know that he is moving at twice the speed of someone else who is doing 50 mph, i.e. 2x50 mph is double the velocity of the second car. In logarithmic scales a sound which is only 3 db higher than another, has twice the energy. For example, the 9mm Para cartridge at 160 db has twice the sonic energy of the .45 ACP cartridge which is measured at 157 db.

For comparison, the 22 LR out of a rifle is 134 DB while out of a pistol is 152 and the 380, 38 special are all close to 157 db. These figures are not absolute and differ from various sources and have a lot to do with individual firearms and different barrel lengths.

In my opinion, the Glock 30sf or regular G30 for those with bigger hands, with a compact suppressor for shorter overall length, and a Glock 21 magazine would be the ideal home defense weapon. The 45 ACP is not a particularly hard recoiling cartridge and I've seen small women and pre-teen children who could shoot 1911's very well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If your going to go big, go big.
If you're going to go small, go small.

Since you're going small, go all the way!

North American Arms makes a Derringer revolver that shoots .22 Short exclusively.
Unfortunately, they don't make that handgun with a threaded barrel for a sound suppressor.

In this case, I suggest a high powered pellet pistol since tinnitus and hearing loss will be a factor in almost all in-home/in-vehicle self defense shootings. Good luck in solving your dilemma.

·
G43 Fanboy
1,649 Posts
I can see why the OP has made the decision. As several members have already pointed out, a 22LR pistol, IF it works reliably, is far better than not having a gun. That being said, I would not keep my 22LR pistol as a nightstand gun, so long as I have a better choice (e.g., 9mm or even 380). My two main concerns are reliability related to the rimfire ammo and the lack of power.

IF I must rely on a 22LR hand gun for home defense, I will use a DA revolver and load it with Aguila 40gr Interceptor to make sure that all rounds in the cylinder will go off when I press the trigger.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Why not a ruger 57? Way less recoil then any other caliber other then 22lr of course. It seems to be reliable from what I’ve heard. I don’t own one but wouldn’t mind. High velocity/low recoil although the ammo is more expensive.

·
NRA Life Member
5,634 Posts
Most bad guys don't want a snout full of those little 40 grain bullets. It sure beats nothing.

Edit to add.....Make sure the gun is 100% reliable...lot of 22 pistols have issues, partly due to the rimfire ammo.
It “might” be enough and “might” work if you use very reliable ammo like CCI Minimags. I’m sure there would be times it would work. There are also times it would fail and fail miserably.

You will likely never have to shoot to defend your home, but if you do, noise is the least of your problems. A serious home defense gun starts at 9mm but .45acp and 12 gauge are even better.

Reactions: B C

·
Registered
20,228 Posts
I wouldn't just because I wouldn't want to out gunned if the perp has gun as well. Someone with an AR or 12ga vs 22LR isn't going to go well.

·
Premium Member
25,277 Posts
I’m amazed at the amount of folks who condone using a rimfire handgun for home defense. I don’t get it even a little bit.
Condone is not the same as recommend. I recommend a 9mm or larger with a suppressor. But as I don’t have one...
For a night I felt just fine with .22 as handgun. AR in room.
Heck of a lot more useful then the death ray 10mm locked in the safe.

·
Just lack finishing up
3,606 Posts
Most everytime I go to the range I see somebody shooting a pistol and the target looks like it's been hit by a shotgun. Holes all over the place and few in the bullseye. I wonder if these guys feel prepared to defend hearth and home?

Hits on target will win a fight. Caliber is secondary to hitting what you aim at.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Most everytime I go to the range I see somebody shooting a pistol and the target looks like it's been hit by a shotgun. Holes all over the place and few in the bullseye. I wonder if these guys feel prepared to defend hearth and home?

Hits on target will win a fight. Caliber is secondary to hitting what you aim at.
My shotgun prints a pretty tight group at typical handgun distances.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts