Glock 17 22lr conversion for G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PeaceKeeper, Nov 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

I bought an Advantage Arms conversion the other day. Waiting for a free day to go to the range.

2. LOWBOY

LOWBOY

You will love it, my .22g19 is the most fun .22 I ever had and as accurate as anything out there. I shot several rattlers with it from 20-25' 50% hit in head 1st shot, 30% 2nd shot never takes more than three, but empty mag on em anyway just for fun!

3. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

Plus, it will give my wife plenty of training for GSSF shoots. She wants to out shoot some of my old sheriff buddies. Some of them won't take much effort.;i

4. 357glocker

357glocker

I've had one for almost 2 yrs now for my G31. Love plinking with it. It doesn't like the standard winchesters at all but will gobble up remington golden bullets value pak or any CCI round I will give it. As said in another reply, VERY accurate for a conversion kit.

5. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

I'm about to buy one of these for my G19, and I expect to fly through ammo (since my wife will also be shooting her 22LR pistol). I've seen Remington HiVel 36 grain 22LR for $10.01 for 525 rnds at natchez shooters supply, but with shipping and the $35 min order and such that ends up being a bit silly (lemme see, figure I wanna spend the least on shipping and get the best return, so... Call it 10 boxes with $15 shipping means $115 for 5250 rounds. Hrm, that's a lot of ammo...).

Anyone know a better bulk place that sells .22LR? I checked ammoman/bulkammo.com and didn't see anything that Advantage Arms had recommended for approx the same prices (even though they cover shipping if you buy 5 boxes or more).

Thanks!

6. 357glocker

357glocker

go to walmart they usually have the 550rnd golden bullet for around 9.00. Glocks love to eat em up.

7. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

The 2 walmart's here in Louisville didn't have any bulk boxes when I checked; I usually buy 9mm Winchester whitebox ammo there, so it was the first place I looked :) All they had was Federal, 50 rnds for $.98, and AA has told me they don't like the Federal ammo in the conversion kit. I'll try back during the daytime when people at WalMart seem to have more of a clue (no offense to any WalMart employees, but it *seems* like the people who work grave shifts there couldn't care any less, and don't have any idea about anything beyond 'this pile of boxes goes over HERE and this pile goes HERE...'. I know I'm painting with a broad brush, but it's to the point I can't hardly stand to go there outside evening 'rush' hours if I'm not just picking up milk and bread :)

8. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

I just called, and, to quote the guy at the sporting goods desk "We have them. You probably came in to check at night, didn't you?". Heh. They have them, $8.97 just like you said. Cool :)

9. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The AACK is the best on the market.

A guy using his AACK cleaned everyone's clock in a recent steel plate shoot usually limited to .380 ACP on up.

Just follow the instructions and buy some decent hi velocity ammo!

10. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

Ordered it, just got it in.

Quick review, after putting ~200 rounds through it today.

I ordered an extra mag, and although it's marked for my G19, it doesn't want to let the slide run correctly, so I've put it aside for the moment. I'm assuming it's either mismarked (doubtful) or has some sort of burr I need to talk to AA about (seems slightly more likely, since it fits into the magwell just fine, and the slide ALMOST runs it's travel). That's a separate item tho, so I'll stick to the kit itself.

The bad: The mags seem a bit flimsy. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm used to other heavy duty mags or not, but they seem to let the 22 rounds sit a little off-centered one on top of another; not exactly a double stack like my HiCap mags, or exactly single stack like the others I've used. The loader is also just a bit off in terms of depth, so it's not as smooth to load the mags as with my stock G19 loader and mags. Having to stick my weapon muzzle down on the table and push the barrel in to get the slide to release is dosconcerting at best. It's apparantly sensitive to a lax rack to chamber the initial round; they're EXPLICIT about making sure you let the spring slap that round home, so no limping it in, eh?

The good: I ran 200 rounds through it (golden bullet HP hi velocity 550 round box $8.96 at WalMart) and had only a single FTE on the 3rd round of the third clip (I've put 1500 rounds of Winchester White box and Blazer 9MM through the stock G19 w/o a single failure, however). I was loading 10 rounds per clip, and sped up as I went (the first clip REAL slow to see how it handled, the next reasonably fast, and the last as fast I could get them out of the gun and hit a paper target at 45 feet). Now, just a note here: My FASTEST is gonna seem really slow to the supershooters here, okay, but to me it's pretty dang fast. That was the only error round I got; cleared it and the rest of the mag fired clean. After a few more mags of 10 each at a moderate pace, I tried several more at that fast pace, and never got any other hang or slow slide return or whatnot. I figure it needed just a little breaking in, or the 2nd round in that clip was a bit 'slow'. It's VERY light compared to the G19 slide, but with the .22 ammo, it's got very little kick (duh). It's very accurate (as far as I can tell, seeing as I'm not that accurate), and I was getting much better groupings even at slow fire rates than w/ the stock slide and 9mm ammo. I expect since I'm not very strong in the shooting muscles yet that I'm wavering with the heavier gun, and it's not showing w/ the lighter slide (I'm probably not jumping from recoil anticipation, since I've been shooting 22LR rifles since I could walk...). It also seemed very consistent, so I figure if I can get better with it, and then run 9mm through, I'll be able to see what I'm doing wrong; that's a nice feature when I can take some of the recoil out of the equation (at 1/5 the cost for ammo!). The case it comes in is very slick, holds everything nicely.

I can see doing a lot of plinking with it. I just hope I can get the extra magazine issue straightened out, since I feel I'll put a lot of ammo through this on a fun weekend...

For those curious, I bought it through TopGlock. I ordered it end of last week and got it today, so they shipped superquick. I also ordered some extra 9mm mags (so I can quit using my HiCaps!!!), a jentra plug (which instantly made the gun look better in my opinion, and I'd swear it makes the receiver feel more stable, although I figure that's imagination more than reality), and a dis-assembly and cleaning video (to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid, and to help clear up a few Q's I had from the Glock Faq's cleaning guide). Everything was fine except that 1 magazine issue, and I fully expect that'll be resolved quickly.

If anyone has any specific Q's, lemme know, and I'll be more than happy to try to answer it in my best newbie fashion *sigh*