close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.223 or .308 for coyote?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by C9X19, Jun 22, 2004.

1. C9X19

C9X19

Which would be more effective and interesting?

2. Cicero

Cicero

On a recent hunting trip I had a pair of coyotes run straight at me (honestly I don't think they knew I was there). When the one with the nicer pelt broadsided about 15 yards away, I shot it in back of the front shoulder with my .270 using 140 gr. nosler partitions. The nosler expanded nicely in such a small critter and the exit hole was about 2 fists wide. Death was instantaneous and the coyote just dropped on the exit wound side. Internal damage was extreme in the chest cavity, even where the round hadn't hit. Essentially everything turned to jelly except the heart (what I could find of it). I think a .308 would do similar damage and would be effective at a longer distance.

3. firminw

firminw

Either one! I prefer .223 but the 308 will buck wind better on the far out ones.

4. mudfootball

mudfootball

a two fist hole? yeesh, not if that pelt was of any value to you, i could definetely see that happening, the .223 may be more interesting in that you may want to wait a little longer for a good broadside shot where any angle with a 308 will knock one flat and to be honest a 150gr rem core-lokt bullet will not make that big of an exit whole, on deer shot through the lungs the hole isnt bigger than a quarter in most cases. Me i would get the 308 because it is so damn versatile and could be your next deer/elk/blackbear gun.
    kt

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

AR-15’s are getting REAL popular here in Michigan for “dog hunting”… no magazine capacity limits on varmint hunting here so 20 or 30 or 40 rounds can be a nice thing to have on those fast movers/mutable targets!

6. Cicero

Cicero

I was using those loads for elk, so it should have just gone right through a small animal like a coyote. It will be an interesting pelt when I'm done tanning it.

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

.243 would be superior to either, given the use(s) of the rifle.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I take my AR when we call for 'yotes. The .223 is a very effective for varmint hunting.

I can't imagine taking one with a .308, probably splatter it everywhere. Another disadvantage is follow up shots will be harder, keep in mind, those yotes are fast little buggers.

I would almost rather take a .22 than a .308 but I shoot .223 anyways so whatever.

9. firminw

firminw

The 243 may questionably be better than .223 but get real if you think it's superior to 308. The 243 is an aberation that is too big for varmints and too small for large game. If you look at some serious stats it's wounded and maimed more than it's killed.

10. IDC

IDC

Do you reload or just factory ammo? also what rifle is being used(AR, bolt.. ?). Hard to get a 80 gr 223 to fit in mag unless you single load and doesn't work well in low twist barrel ie. 1-10 or slower

11. mudfootball

mudfootball

ouch! that is a dispute i aint going anywhere near, seen to many 3 month long threads on the do's and donts of that one
    kt

12. C9X19

C9X19

Well, I'm kind of deciding on either a .223rem bolt or a .308 bolt. But i just talked to my old man about it and he doesnt want to go hunting with either.:( But I did find this thread useful anyway.

PS. The rifle will be a Savage.

13. noway

noway

{The 243 may questionably be better than .223 but get real if you think it's superior to 308. The 243 is an aberation that is too big for varmints and too small for large game. If you look at some serious stats it's wounded and maimed more than it's killed.
    }

then the .270win might be an better alternative vrs the small .223 or three 0 eight or even the .243.

Theirs something for small game up to the bigger game animals on plant earth known as North American using the 130gr or heavier loads. easy to buy, easy to reload and alot milder than the 308 but doesn't have the reach out and touch something capabilities. I would rather use a .270win on the animals mention before picking up a .223 or 308

just my 0.02c.

14. firminw

firminw

I use several calibers and rifles for takin' varmints but I would never say one was superior to another. My own experiences have shown that all suitable calibers are capable but none of them are the endall or beall. Personally I like something light in .264 best. In my world it comes closest to perfect for most conditions. I must admit to being horribly prejudiced against anything 6mm. I've seen to many cases where they wounded and maimed before they caused something to die. I cant help it I just hate 6mm and nothing will ever change that. I may say or boast many things but I would never say any caliber is superior to another as long as both are capable.

15. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

The .223 will nail these old Arkansas coyotes as far as I need to be shooting 'em...

[​IMG]

16. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Well this answer has 2 solutions. One if you just want to kill
    them, use whatever you want. Second, if your after the pelts, you
    had better choose an appropriate varmit rifle with the right
    bullet....my 2 cents!

17. C9X19

C9X19

Remember where I live! If ARs were legal here, I would've had one a long time ago:(

18. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I was speaking of the cartridge, not the gun.

19. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Don't know about you personally, but your conclusions are F.O.S. You speak authoritatively about a subject about which you obviously know little-to-nothing.

20. noway

noway

{The 243 is an aberation that is too big for varmints and too small for large game.}

ironically I had to call my dad at work a few minutes ago. I remember he bought a win Mod70 varmit rifle last year called guess what ? "Coyote" and it's chamber in the .243.

So I guess winchester saw the need for a 243 as varmit round.
    ;)