close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

223 HD ammo recomendations

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 1canvas, Feb 19, 2010.

1. 1canvas

1canvas

i have been trying to decide on a good home defence round for my ar [20'' 1 in 7 twist], something that won't over penetrate. i see most high quality ammo runs over 1.00 a round so i want to make a good choice. i already have a couple thou 55 fmj picked up from different places.
    right now i'm looking at 60 grn hornady tap. is there anything else i should concider?

2. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Even softpoint of hollow point is going to over penetrate. Unless you live in a rural area with no close neighbors, a .223 is less than an ideal HD round. If you insist on a long gun, look into a shotgun. You can tailor the shot size to your situation.

3. hurley842002

hurley842002

Actually, the chances of a 5.56/223 overpenetrating are slim to none (9mm has a better chance of overpenetration). With your 1 in 7 barrel I would recommend the 75gr Hornady TAP in either 5.56 or 223, whichever you can find. If overpenetration were a concern with a bullet the size and weight of the 5.56/223 offerings, then the cartridge would prove to be quite worthless. This round relies on fragmentation for much of its effectivness.

4. N/Apower

N/Apower

+1 Hornady T2 is good stuff.

5. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

another thumbs up fot the hornady TAP. i kept a couple mags of the 60gr TAPs with my old AR. ill probably do the same with my next build but i will step up to the 75gr TAPs.

i also saw an add for Speer GolDots for the AR in a gun magazine. never seen them in person though.

6. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

55 grain soft points should do.....................:whistling:

7. rwrjr

rwrjr

I guess I'm a chump for figuring that XM193 would work pretty well in my 20" AR. Even in my 16" AR I'm happy with it.

Are we splitting hairs once we get into the high power rifle rounds?

8. lee1000

lee1000

I use 55 grain Hornady TAP FPD. I have a 16" 1 in 7 twist. I've shot about 45 rounds of this stuff and it feed well and it was accurate at 100m. I had about a 4-5” spread with iron sights.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I went with 55 grain on the assumption that a lighter bullet will over penetrate less. Would anyone disagree?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    One thing you should keep in mind is that a 223 round indoors is extremely loud. I took my AR to an indoor range and after the first 30 round mag people started leaving. I would take yours to an indoor range to get acclimated to it.<o:p></o:p>

9. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

www.hornady.com .....I think it's under the law enforcement tab on the webpage....tons of test data on the TAP rounds from several barrel lengths/twists.

I issue the T2, along with bonded JSPs for barriers, at work. We run mostly 16", 1/9 twist.

I personally wouldn't use a .223 as my first choice indoors, esp. a 20" (unwieldy to me in close quarters). That, and the noise ( did that, once....sucked!).

10. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

20" Barrel/1:7 Twist Rate

Here are my choices and what I have loaded in my magazines, stored in ammo cans and purchased and waiting for new ammo cans. In order of preference.

MK262 MOD1 5.56mm (Black Hills 77 Gr. OTM w/cannelure)
    Hornady Tap 75 Gr. OTM .223
    Privi Partisan 69 Gr. OTM .223
    Winchester Ranger 64 Gr. PP .223
    Federal TRU 64 Gr. SP .223
    Privi Partisan 62 Gr. M855 5.56mm
    Federal TRU 55 Gr. SP .223
    Privi Partisan 55 Gr. M193 5.56mm

Remember, you have a 20" barrel. That gives you all the velocity you want and need for great terminal performance. FMJ, OTM, JHP, SP, PP ammunition will yield you great results in my opinion.

Now, if you were going to use a SBR for HD, I would recommend that you use an OTM/JHP instead of a SP/PP/FMJ. I would also recommend a heavy weight bullet for a SBR as opposed to a lighter weight round.

With that, I would recommend that you go and research what would be the best for YOU and YOUR rifle and home. But, I don't think you could go wrong with some of the choices that have been listed.

Keep your powder dry!

11. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

In my opinion, I wouldn't use a bullet designed for varmint use.

The bullet that Hornady loads into some of their .223 rounds are designed for limited penetration and complete deflagration. Meaning, their 55 Gr. VMAX bullet is usually used for small thin skinned animals.

With that, I don't think that is a bad choice. I would maybe bump it up to a heavier weight bullet. Their 60 Gr. is a good choice. but again it's an VMAX bullet. If you can find their 62 Gr. SP that would be a great choice. I put a list in my last post with some recommendation. They work well with a 20" barrel and 16" barrel as well as a 13" barrel.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  12. N/Apower

N/Apower

Can you find a source stating the 60GR loading is the AMAX? I believe it to be the VMAX. It's what I keep loaded in my AR (I live in an appartment). While it doesn't reach the minimum penetration I desire, it's in a platform with minimal recoil and a 30-round magazine. Excuses, I know, but I have faith in it.

Their 62gr loading is a barrier round, specificially designed to defeat the metal doors in a reactor facility, IIRC. Not something I want to let rip with in the appartment, lol

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  13. 1canvas

1canvas

the ar isn't my first choice, handguns first or the 870. i had a situation a few years ago that required a rifle for defence. i was able to stop the threat with presenting a shotgun [no shots fired] but it wasn't a bad choice for that situation. thinking i would never really need a rifle for home defence i didn't have one ready. so i just want a mag ready to go of the best ammo for defence.

14. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I just use M193 with confidence.

15. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

I will edit my post to reflect VMAX...Sorry about that. I confuse the "MAX's" a lot.

With that, I'm not saying that it's a horrible choice. One of the reasons I recommended a heavier bullet (60 Gr.). But again, remember that it was designed for varmint use.

Their 62 Gr. is in fact considered their "Barrier" round. However, think of it as a SP bullet. It will do the same as any other SP bullet from my experience. I've tested quite a few of them.

16. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

Back in "The Day", I was doing weapons training and desert survival training at Ft Bliss and we were in the field for two weeks. I had some live ammo, std GI 55gr ball (don't remember number maybe M855 or M193, just don't remember) and I decided that I would shoot a couple of jack rabbits with my M-16.

Well, I shot one through the ribs from about 30yds and I had to chase him down and kick him in the head to finich him off.

I looked down at my M-16 and said "WTF, my next stop is Honduras and I'm supposed to use this to kill people?".

Use SP or HP ammo for SD/HD.

Paul