.223 for cougar?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Herb Twoleaf, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

Opens 8/1 here.

I'd like to try the AR as I can also use it for squirrels. Just not sure it's enough gun for the kitties.

I'd need to find some 5rd. mags, and am open to ideas as to ammo.

So, whatcha think? No worries, big brass balls, or Darwin laughing?

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Most kitties are under 200LBS so I'd say with proper shot placement and the right round you'd get a one shot kill at up to 300yards.

But thats just me.

Growing up in AZ lot of us hunted them with a 30-30, so I'd say .223 is fine.

3. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

IIRC, the old gun writer Bob Milek hunted them (treed by dogs) with a .22 Mag Ruger Single-Six revolver and HP ammo. If you place the shot, I don't think they're that hard to kill.

If you DON'T place the shot well, a ticked-off 150+ pound feline can be expected to deliver a bit more retribution than, say, a cottontail rabbit, so...

...place the shot REALLY well. :thumbsup: :supergrin:

5. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

223 for squirrels? I dunno man thats awfully risky. What if you miss a shot, Then you got stray bullets to worry about! For cougars it will be fine. Just use good bullets and place your shots well!

6. lwt210

lwt210

I used .223 soft point ammunition on coyotes with devestating results for several years.

It should do just fine.

7. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Federal loads a 60 grain Nosler Partition in the 223.I would think this would be more than enough for any cougar.

8. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Win 64gr PP is your answer.

9. MARTIN FISHER

MARTIN FISHER

The 55 gr. Sierra Game King is a great bullet. I would say without dogs, getting a shot at a big cat is pretty rare. I have hunted them hard calling for the last three seasons and never even seen one. I carry 55 gr gamekings for every hunt. Back up gun is a G23 with 180 Grain Gold Dots.

I have shot three large Bob Cats with the .223 each one was a clean one shot kill the longest shot was about 20 yards called in.

10. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

A .22 conversion or an .22 upper would bust squirrel's buns.

:supergrin:

11. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

If you are hunting with dogs, then any head shot with the 223 would work.

I shot a big Texas cat in 2005 that went 160lbs. I took a running shot at him at a little over 200 yards and racked him through the right rear leg up into his body with a 180gr. Hornady SP out of my '06.

It did not slow him down much.

We had to go into heavy brush to get him. My Uncle got the kill shot. '06 with 165gr. Hornady SP at about 3 yards in the chest. The bullet did not exit.

They are way too heavily muscled to be taking body shots with a 223.

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Your 223 will work, but personally, i would really rather see you use somethng a little bigger, especially if a 'body shot' were needed.

I'd personally make the "minimum" a 6mm remington, with soft point ammo. A 25-06, or 270, is a good choice, and get this...A lever action 30-30, 0r 35 remington, with a "heavy soft nose bullet" is also an excellent choice.

I agree that even a 22mag to the "head" will work, but this is not real practical. "To often body shots are needeed...." My brother guides for cats 'exclusively' on his 7200 acre spread in the Ft. Davis Mountains in W. Texas. $5,000 a pop with dogs, and mules supplied for mountain travel in the 7,000ft elevations, and rugged country. All kinds of shots can be presented to you, not "just a tree'd animal." I really would opt for a bit larger caliber than the 223. Not knocking it, just "don't think it is practical" for that type hunting, IMO.

Good luck
    Good hunting

CanyonMan

13. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy

More often than not I'll have a .45 colt in the scabbard when hunting lion. I usually use a pistol in the same, but it's nice to have a rifle in case a longer shot is needed. If calling I'll have some sort of .22 or .17 centerfire. Both work very well, and more importantly, don't leave you sewing gaping holes at the end of the day.

I would never shoot a lion in the head unless it was standing on top of me. It's a complete waste and there's no reason for it. Even if you're just hunting to have your picture snapped with a dead animal, it makes for a poor picture when the critter has it's head pulled open. Even worse if you actually want to keep something from your hunt besides the meat.

If you're being guided on a hunt with dogs, listen to the guide. Relax, take the time to get some pictures while it's treed and then take the shot. Lions won't normally come out of a tree or off bay. A bear will sometimes wait until it catches it's breath then take another run. A lion will hold, so don't be in a rush.

If you're calling, then it's just like any other called predator. Take a shot when you have the shot.

I've never felt in danger when dealing with lions. They aren't what they're made out to be by a lot of folks. That isn't to say one should be complacent, just not afraid.

For what it's worth most of the lions I've killed have died at the end of a catch pole choked out. I've hunted and trapped lion in various places around the west and mexico for a number of years. I'm not telling anyone their wrong, just putting forth my experience. There's surely more than one way to go about things.