.223 Dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Fwdftw, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

Went to order my lee dies tonight (pacesetter) and of corse midway and lee Factory sales are both out of stock. Any other sites youd recomend ? Arg. Thanks.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Dillon would be my first choice but I'm actually using some old RCBS dies. I also have the Redding Competition Bushing die set but I haven't tried them.

At one time I thought I would try to make some very accurate ammo for the Savage .223. Turns out it shoots the stuff that comes off my 550B just fine so I haven't felt a need to do that single-stage trickle charging process.

Richard

3. sourdough44

sourdough44

No problem with Lee here. I'd go with RCBS if they have them though. Most fussing you hear about with reloaders is more of an operator problem than an equipment problem.

4. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

Did you look local? Our Bass Pro usually has Lee dies in stock.

5. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

I want to stick with lee dies , any other websites I should look into to order from ?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. SigFTW

SigFTW

Try 10ring.com, they usually have them in-stock. Or call the store and see if they will ship a set to you.
    BKB Outdoors, Inc. 10ring.com
    12779 Jones Rd. Ste. 103B
    Houston, Texas 77070
    Fax: 281-894-7923

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. ColoCG

ColoCG

Try Cabelas.com or Midwayusa they should have them.

If your planning on loading large quantities of .223 brass and reloading them many times, you might consider getting an RCBS X-Die at some time.

You only have to trim your brass once befor you use it and the die keeps it from stretching and saves a lot of work having to trim them multiple times.

8. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

I tried bass pro 1st out of stock explain this x die I definatly plan to load bulk ,

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. ColoCG

ColoCG

RCBS X-Die is a fl resizer die that uses a mandrel inside the die that prevents brass from lengthening. Before you use the die you have to trim the brass once .020" shorter than maximum. The brass should not need to be trimmed again. You can purchase the die seperately or with a seater die also.

Set correctly this seems to work great. It is not cheap but it saves a lot of work trimming brass and chamfering and deburring the Brass. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/789631/rcbs-x-die-full-length-sizer-die-308-winchester

This link may explain it better and you may be able get it cheaper somewhere else, most places sell it.

10. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

They should be back in stock very soon. Keep checking. They are popular dies and sell quickly.

11. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

Midway says 6/xx lol

and natchezz wants 16 bucks to ship the dies.. lol

and i dont remember my user name on kempfs site -.-

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. n2extrm

n2extrm

13. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

i just dont understand companies.. i ordered 500$ worth of ar15 parts from brownells for 8$ shipping.. i want to order 1 set of dies from multiple companies for 13-15$ shipping.

midway changed back stock date to 5/1 ill wait it out :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  14. n2extrm

n2extrm

I have to agree. I understand you have the exspense of shipping, not just the cost. But really? I bought a $12 spring and paid $9 shipping. It arrived in a padded envelope with a dollars postage on it.

I try to figure shipping into anything I order and I try to make the order count. Get what ever I can in one shot. Or at least what I can remember :embarassed:

15. alitke15

alitke15

Not to highjack this thread but figured I will ask instead of posting a whole new thread.

Does anyone suggest the Redding dies?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/307180/redding-3-die-set-223-remington

I am attempting to get into .223 reloading but am not sure where to start. each site you look at says something different. Currently I have only my Hornady LnL press and nothing else so I am starting fresh when it comes to rifle.

Not looking for precision super rounds just to reload rounds for range time and varmint.

16. n2extrm

n2extrm

I use them, never had a problem. If you are loading for an AR or any auto loader you can get the 2 die set. You won't use the neck die in an auto loader.

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I would suggest Redding ANYTHING. This 3 die set has a full length sizing die (necessary for ammo in a semi-auto) and a neck sizing die (most likely for bolt-action rifle where the case size is fire-formed) and, finally, a bullet seating die. You would pick one of the sizing die alternatives and the seating die. The other sizing die would not be used at the same time.

You still need something to get the powder into the case. I don't know anything about your press but, in the case of Dillon, there is a proprietary powder die. Probably the same for Hornady.

Richard

18. clarence2005w

clarence2005w

I neck size for my AR-15, more accurate and brass last much longer.