.223 at 600 yards match results

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Boxerglocker, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Shot the first 600 yard bench rest match of the season today. It was cold at 49 degrees but dry, overcast, 5-7 mph winds. My Remington SPS Tactical in .223 did pretty well. This was the first time I have shot it that far since getting my Nightforce NXS 8-32 scope.

[​IMG]

This was my best string of 10 shots, just under MOA. Load is 25.5g of Varget pushing a 69 SMK, Lapua match brass, with a Federal Match SRP. OAL is 2.260 (1.875 measured off the ogive).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Nice shooting. Pretty neat feeling when all you worked for comes together on paper.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Quite good for the 223, wind, always the damn wind.

4. Boxerglocker

Thanks, I was quite impressed myself. That was the 3rd of 4 strings, took me a few to get settled on the bench to over come some posture issues. The bench was concrete and difficult to consistently preload my bipod. My worst group was just over 10 inches though, so I know its a pretty good load for my gun.

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Looks good. Not a lot of vertical dispersion.

Anymore I have a hard time shooting a rifle off benches if using a bi-pod.

6. JBnTX

JBnTX

That's outstanding shooting!...:thumbsup:

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

That's what I was thinking. I have a bipod on my general purpose '06 and it was harder to use than I thought it would be. I don't shoot BR, but the guys I've watched do it use a rest built like a bank vault with dials and levers on it. They look like a friggin steam engine or something.

With my Stevens 200 I'm happt to hit the 6" 300 yard gong. I don't have the attention span to do the hard stuff.

8. Boxerglocker

I learned that loading the bipod forward made me so much more consistent. Next time I'm going to bring some sandbags to lean the bipod legs against or was thinking of a strip of 1x2 wood clamped to each side of the bench.
    I'm looking forward to getting a F-Class match or two in this year. I'm a better shooter prone than on the bench. In fact, I set my gun and optic up in the prone, and just adjust my posture on the bench.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  9. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I used to shoot that far but now I can't see the target anymore. Isn't getting old fun.:crying:

Nice shooting.

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Very nice, Boxer.

Is that the string of targets that I faintly see in the background?

11. Boxerglocker

Yup, long way out there....

12. phonejack

phonejack

If your rifle has the correct twist, 80 smk's will work much better

13. Boxerglocker

The rifle is currently a 20 inch 1-9 twist. Once I shoot it out... I'm going to go with a AI .223. Have it barreled and the action tuned by Benchmark Barrels here local. I'm going to go with a 22 inch, 1-8.
    For now it works just fine and being inside MOA at 600 to me is a great achievement. I'll be using the rifle to shoot some F-Class later this summer.

14. Tom D

Tom D

I like your load. I found Varget at about that weight very very predictable. My favorite bullet is the 69 SMK out of my Colt Lower White Oak Upper, JP trigger.

Sort your brass by weight (case volume get into it) I really love my Norma brass. LC too. but volume is critical and de-burr your flash hole inside for sure on all of it.Bullet run-out should be looked at. I like it under .003"

I tried the heavier bullets but always came back to the 69 or 77gr on a windy day. I never did well with anything heavier and over 77gr you need to be thinking about 1:6.5.
    IMO get to a 1:7 and learn to love it (U will)

I see 4 in the 10 rings and 4 in the 9 ring then your 1 in the 7 ring and string left to right. Loose the bipod and get on some bags. You can really bring that baby into 10 tens easy. Doping the wind is the key to it all. I never could do it will but always take the wind into consideration. If you compensate for elevation move only half it always works.

600 is a gas. I shoot prone with a sling and never tried BR.

Use some baby powder on your forward rest so its slides freely fore and aft and hold it in tight, free recoil has its "ups and downs".

Off a bi-pod that's some good shooting but its harder to control than off bags. You'll feel a lot more control. Nice scope man. Keep it up

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. Boxerglocker

All my brass for this gun is Lapua match (300 pieces) and pretty much perfect out of the get go. I do give it a good once over and slightly deburr the flash holes. After form firing I clean in stainless after depriming and neck size with a Lee collet die, get well within 0.003 run out.
    Appreciate the tips on the rest but my intention is to shoot this gun for F class T/R and I want to be as consistent as possible configured as it is. I may have to borrow a rest and try it out though just to see. I'll be sticking to the 69 smk and Varget for the next couple thousand rounds having stocked up on components for that load.

16. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Good Shooting man. Is that the range you were talking about?

17. Boxerglocker

Yup, that's it. Upper Nisqually. It's members only other than open competition days, you get a key to the gate and blast away. The 50 bmg boys use a line that runs diagonal from the right which stretches it out to 800 yards once a month. It's a 90 minute drive for me from home but worth the $60 a year for me to go there a few times a year to go there. I'll take you down there next time you visit.

18. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I hadn't realized that there was that long of a range on this side.