221B Tactical Maxx-Dri Vest Review

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by bccop, Aug 15, 2015.

1. bccop

bccop

I did a search before posting this thread and saw nothing about this product.

I'm sure many of us hate wearing our vests in the summer but still wear them. I will be the first to admit I sweat a lot. I mainly deal with crime scene exams and we wear uniforms and vests. I have actually thought about bringing a towel with me on some days because I am dripping in sweat. My vest just seems to trap the heat in and the sweat just pools. By the end of a shift my underarmor shirt, uniform shirt, and external carrier are drenched. I recently read a review about 221B Tactical's Maxx-Dri Vest and figured what did I have to lose after reading the positive reviews. The business is owned by an LEO.

He sells the Maxx-Dri vest which has a honey-comb structure that allows air to circulate under the vest. I ordered version 2.0 since I sweat more than most people and had to wait a couple of weeks because they can't keep up with demand. The are not cheap but 1 is enough.

I have worn the vest for the past week and have been amazed by the results. I have worn the vest between my undershirt and uniform shirt and have noticed my vest does feel considerably lighter. I can also feel the air circulation under my vest and have noticed my undershirt is considerably drier since the air circulation allows my sweat to evaporate. The temperature here has been 30 degrees Celsius/86 Farenheit during the day. So far my external carrier has been mildly damp and has dried out relatively quickly.

I have noticed while driving with the window open I can actually feel the wind blowing through the vest even at my back as well.

I have posted links to the website and a review on officer.com

http://www.221btactical.com

http://www.officer.com/article/12006196/maxx-dri-ultra-comfort-vest-wear-test-and-review

nursetim likes this.
  2. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Looks interesting, wonder how it works in 100+ degree heat in central Texas.

3. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Looks like a good idea.

4. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

I've been wearing one of those for about 2-3 weeks. The difference is very noticeable. It is much more comfortable with an extra layer between me and the vest.

5. ray9898

ray9898

I have been wondering about those, interesting concept. The price has kept me away so far though. I read several reviews in the past talking about the vest riding up under the vest throughout the shift, that also concerned me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Might need to try one now that I'm back on a bike full time.

7. nursetim

nursetim

Years ago, long before underarmor, there was a t-shirt made for vest wear. I had columns of round cloth that created channels for air circulation. Never tried it so don't know how it worked.

This products, with your personal experience, sounds like a winner. Thanks for posting it.

8. bccop

bccop

I wear it between my undershirt and uniform shirt and haven't noticed it ride up very much at all. I wear suspenders on my duty belt and an external carrier. I have noticed the vest seems to relieve the pressure on my back and shoulders as well.

The vests are expensive but you really only need one. With the Canadian dollar down the toilet I almost cried when I worked out the cost. They are easy to hand wash and dry quickly.

9. ray9898

ray9898

I may give it a shot, anything to make this GA heat more bearable.

10. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

I had one; still have several. They weren't very comfortable but better than cotton.

I wear some type of synthetic t-shirt. I loathe compression shirts.

Some of the guys have them here and love love love them.

If I was on the road still and not trapped in the Ivory Tower, I'd drop the coin on a couple.

11. ray9898

ray9898

Good to know. I am going to give it a shot.