GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the shortages I've decide to buy a .22 adapter kit for the Colt series AR-15's. I would appreciate any advice on a kit and a source. Thank You for any input.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
If you're going to go the .22LR AR route then you should buy or build yourself a dedicated .22 rifle or pistol instead and you'll be happier. Why? As mentioned above the conversion units aren't as accurate, and the rifling of the standard AR barrel is too fast at 1/7, 1/8, 1/9, etc. (standard .22LR rifling is 1/16), which can lead to premature barrel leading and even gas port blockage.

A while back I decided to build a dedicated .22 AR pistol as a suppressor host, and used a CMMG 4.5" barrel/bolt/carrier setup with a Spike's Tactical Crusader lower, and it runs great and is accurate for what it is, a fun and casual plinker. And since it was born as a pistol it can be transformed from a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol legally. The same cannot be done with a firearm that started life as a rifle...just something to consider :)

·
Premium Member
24,806 Posts
If you're going to go the .22LR AR route then you should buy or build yourself a dedicated .22 rifle or pistol instead and you'll be happier. Why? As mentioned above the conversion units aren't as accurate, and the rifling of the standard AR barrel is too fast at 1/7, 1/8, 1/9, etc. (standard .22LR rifling is 1/16), which can lead to premature barrel leading and even gas port blockage.

A while back I decided to build a dedicated .22 AR pistol as a suppressor host, and used a CMMG 4.5" barrel/bolt/carrier setup with a Spike's Tactical Crusader lower, and it runs great and is accurate for what it is, a fun and casual plinker. And since it was born as a pistol it can be transformed from a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol legally. The same cannot be done with a firearm that started life as a rifle...just something to consider :)

Are you sure? I thought it could NEVER go back to a pistol if it was EVER a rifle. (But I never checked. Just thought it was one way only)

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I have a Ciener kit that has provided many years of dependable service and very good accuracy.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Are you sure? I thought it could NEVER go back to a pistol if it was EVER a rifle. (But I never checked. Just thought it was one way only)
Yessir, I am positive...from originally a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol is legal, but going from an original rifle to a pistol length barrel w/stock (the latter of which is part of the definition of a rifle) requires an approved Form 1 to SBR status.

·
Premium Member
24,806 Posts
Yessir, I am positive...from originally a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol is legal, but going from an original rifle to a pistol length barrel w/stock (the latter of which is part of the definition of a rifle) requires an approved Form 1 to SBR status.
Ok. I thought when I bought Virgin lower I was told if it ever was a rifle, it could never go back. But I wasn’t sure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had a Ciener for years that I've gotten a ton of use out of. I use Blackdog mags. Mine runs better with a generous amount of oil. Typically shoot Federal bulk pack.

Have some occasional failure to extract issues ... if you google around you can see some mods people have done. I've never gotten around to modding mine, but it's in the "to consider" column.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Just buy a 15 22. They work good.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Wood butcher
2,368 Posts
My 15-22 sees a lot of rounds and works very well. Granted, it's so much lighter but the controls are the same. It disassembles/reassembles the same and length as well. For me, it was the more inexpensive option and have no regret.

I'm a little surprised that someone doesn't make a counter balance weight system to more evenly match it to it's big brother. In my skeet years, there was a weight you would put on the bottom bbl when shooting 12 to evenly match the weight when using tubes.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You'll have to re-zero your AR every time you switch back. Buy a dedicated .22LR AR instead.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The CMMG conversion kits are good to go. I personally would go with a dedicated 22 upper for all of the reasons already mentioned.

I had to occasionally use conversion kits while in the Army and shooting 22lr out of a 1-7 twist M16A2 barrel was not veery accurate. The M16A1 with the 1-12 twist did a bit better.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I have a Ciener kit that has provided many years of dependable service and very good accuracy.

If you do not mind sharing. What twist-rate is your barrel? What ammo is accurate?

I bought the CMMG and I found reliable ammo, but none was accurate. Gave up on it and bought a 15-22.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts