.22 pocket guns:what load?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by earthworm, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ronin.45

ronin.45

I wonder how they got all the hitmen to answer the poll.

Rellik likes this.
  2. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

The ammo quest guy on you tube has already figured this one out, testing in a NAA mini revolver

Some meet the FBI minimum penetration

3. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

CCI used to make a 50 gr Gold Dot for the 22 Magnum. From the mini revolvers, it always expanded to 40 cal in the gel.

For 22lr, the 60 gr SS goes in about 12 inches and tumbles making a larger wound channel. That round from my Ruger 22/45 short barrel was accurate to 50 ft.

4. LOWBOY

LOWBOY

Statistics from mob hits over the years.

5. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

6. hannstv

hannstv

The load that cycles the most reliable. Nothing else matters if it doesn't go bang and cycle.

GlockyQ and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

8. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I agree 100%. Which is why I would recommend CCI MiniMags with a 40 grain RNL bullet. There are exceptions but as a general rule if a 22 semiauto won't run well with that ammo it won't run well with anything. I am assuming that someone who buys a 22 for self defense is not the sort of person that is going to run 100 rounds of 8 different types of ammo through it to find out what type works best. If they cared that much they wouldn't be carrying a 22.

That ammo would not be a bad choice for a revolver either. A 22 is not going to have enough expansion or penetration regardless of what type of ammo is used. I would rather emphasize penetration.

Right now the best type of ammo would be whatever type they can find.

9. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Just an FYI,

Particularly in 22, rated velocities don't hold true with shorter barrels.

I recently tested 15 brands of 22lr ammo through my chronograph in guns with barrel ranging from 3.5"-10", specifically 3.5, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 10".

Not one of the 40 grain HV ammo did over 1000 FPS until you got up to a 6" bbl. Some of the 36 gr stuff topped 1K fps at 3.5" bbl but just a few.

Stingers did 1110 fps out of 3.5" bbl.

The Ruger LCP II 22 has a 2.75" bbl (which I didn't test) but you'll do less than that and less the 1K FPS with just about everything else.

A good balance between velocity and penetration might be a HV solid point 36 gr bullet. Hollow points aren't going to open up under 1K fps anyway so you may as well use a solid point with a little velocity behind it.

On the other hand while stingers may not penetrate deeply, few people could withstand a swarm of them. I tend to fall into the bigger and heavier is better camp but I wouldn't be too concerned if all I had were stingers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  10. Terry G

Terry G

Recently tested these for accuracy, reliability, and grip. I found that all shot ammunition with a listed velocity of over 1200 FPS with complete reliability. The Ruger MKII was just thrown in to compare it's accuracy against the shorter barreled guns. IMG_3715 (3).JPG

ksblazer likes this.
  11. misterpepper

misterpepper

With an autoloader your first consideration should be reliability. Everything is going to hurt like hell, provided it makes it out of the barrel. Getting a 22lr to run reliably is difficult enough in a normal sized pistol, not to mention a pocket gun. I have a Walther TPH, pretty much the Cadillac of pocket 22lr's -- fully stainless, precision machining, cleaned and smoothed up for the best reliability and I still have to be careful how I grip it with most types of ammo to prevent failures.

12. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Stingers, or Velocitors, but I won’t carry it. My minimum is a 9mm.

13. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I would never carry a .22 as a self defense round. But if I did, I have often wondered if .22 birdshot might be the way to go. Hard to miss and it would surely cause some pain to the attacker. Maybe almost a non-lethal? Serious post, I’m curious.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

I seldom carry one of my NAA's, too.

I couldn't before I retired, once they'd restricted off-duty calibers to no less than .32ACP and above.

Nowadays, I only slip my .22LR or one of my .22MAG NAA's into a pocket for those times I feel like having an "Onion Field", last-resort "hide-out" CQ gun.

IAhunter likes this.
  15. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

I would carry a solid and hope for enough penetration to do the job. I'd also hope the gun doesn't jam if it was a semi. A .22 semi is not the most reliable gun around. I have a new M&P .22, a little over 300 rounds thru it(mostly CCI) and it already has 3 jams.

16. earthworm

earthworm

Thank you one & all for your feedback. After this & info from other sources one is looking at a J-frame S&W & the diehards are buying 40gr MiniMags.
    A couple are considering alternating solids with HP for carry (assuming function). Opinions?

17. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

Another vote for Aguila Interceptors. My wife has an LCR .22lr, and I have and LCP II Lite Rack. They're not carry guns, but we assume that any gun we own might potentially be pressed into service for whatever reason, so we keep a couple bricks of the Interceptors on hand. You just never know.

My LCP has had a few light strikes with Mini Mags, but it's been 100% with Interceptors.

GlockyQ likes this.
  18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I'm told that Mini mags and CCI Blazers are the same ammo, made on the same line. The difference is Mini mags are quality inspected more frequently to remove dud rounds thus insuring more reliability, thus more expensive.

IMO, HPs aren't going to do anything out of short barrel J frame. Best to go with a 40 gr solid point

19. misterpepper

misterpepper

If I recall correctly Blazers aren't copper washed and have wax lube on them, unlike Mini Mags. They may be otherwise identical, though.

20. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

I wouldn’t bother. Like mac66 wrote, you’re not going to get sufficient velocity for expansion out of a 1-7/8” barreled revolver. Your best bet is to go with 40 grain solids and hope for sufficient penetration, in my opinion.