.22 pocket guns:what load?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by earthworm, Jul 28, 2020.

1. earthworm

earthworm

I have friends who habitually carry .22 pocket guns (I know & the arguments are ongoing).Given the short barrels (+/- 3") the question of what ammo come up. Stingers vs MiniMag vs standard? HP vs solid?

2. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

3. Terry G

Terry G

Better than nothing. Actually, a whole lot better than nothing. CCI 40 Grain HP's. Probably sting like Hell. Carry a TX22 and shoot 16 times.

DAW9347, 1187mg, evlbruce and 2 others like this.
  4. fastbolt

fastbolt

What functions in his .22LR?

Does the gun maker of his gun recommend against HV loads, like Stingers?

With loads that are approved for his gun, and which actually reliably function in his gun (notwithstanding the potential rimfire ignition issues), what loads can your friend actually shoot accurately in his gun?

I tend to favor Stingers and MiniMags in my NAA .22LR. Not sure it's going to matter much whether solids or HP's are used in such short barrels and reduced velocities.

NAA used to have a page on their website where they'd tested various LR & MAG loads out of their guns, for velocity averages.

-JCN- and snowbird.40 like this.
  5. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Stingers are overrated. They consistently penetrate far to shallowly. If you want a hollow point, go with a velocitor.

Out of a short barrel though, I'd recommend just HV LRN for maximum penetration.

6. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

My choice would be a 40 gr solid, high velocity.

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Another vote for Velocitors over Stingers. You're only going to get so much velocity from a 2" barrel so I'll take the extra mass.

SevenSixtyTwo and DonGlock26 like this.
  8. texduramax

texduramax Shooter

Recently inherited a Beretta 21A Bobcat and have thought about dropping it in a jacket pocket as a backup.

In for the info.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

FWIW, I like the Stingers in my .22's because they're tack-drivers in my guns. (A couple Rugers and a couple NAA's.)

I have some other assorted CCI .22's, and may have picked up some Velocitor when I was rebuilding my .22LR inventory and buying whatever I could find of the CCI line when the ammo was scarce (but I'd have to look), but if so, I haven't yet test-fired them for practical accuracy.

I was very satisfied, borderline amazed, at how well the Stingers grouped out of the 2" barrel of my NAA Black Widow, using the LR cylinder.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  10. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

CCI Velocitor 1435 fps Available in HP and SP
    Aguila Interceptor 1470 fps Available in HP and SP

both 40 grain

11. Terry G

Terry G

Cool gun, but check the penetration at say 10 feet. I bought a PT22 and a friend bought a 21A for our Wive's. After picking the spent rounds out of a half inch sheet of plywood with our fingernails we re-thought using short barreled .22's. S&W Bodyguard were tried next. His Wife liked it, mine chose a CZ 82. Don't ask me why.

12. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

I would not carry a “pocket rimfire pistol” for any serious defensive purpose. But if I had to, my personal choice would be Aguila 40gr Interceptor HP for its superb reliability of ignition and consistency. If that is not available, I would go with Winchester Super-X 40gr Hyper-Speed HP, followed by CCI Stinger. Unfortunately I have not had luck with CCI Velocitor...

[This is all based on shooting them from my LCP-II 22LR. Other guns my work well with CCI Velocitor.]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Pistolay and gamecocks like this.
  13. ksblazer

ksblazer

Gold Dot short barrel .22wmr for the NAA Pug.

-JCN- and 1eyedjack01 like this.
  14. NewYorker

NewYorker

Minimags is a good choice. I like me some hyper velocity ammo as well. But a 22mag is always good.

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

After owning a number of tiny .22s over the years, I'm sticking to revolvers because rimfire ignition is not especially reliable, esp as the guns get smaller with less hammer or striker mass.
    All that crap aside, I like 40gr mini mag solids or velocitors.

16. TeaDub

TeaDub

IF I carried a pocket sized 22, it'd probably be loaded with mini-mags. The solid one. Very few, if any, 22LRs will expand at snub barrel velocities.

IMO, Ruger killed any use that I have for a tiny 22. Their LCP (now joined by several manufacturers) gives a bigger bang in a truly tiny form.

The one exception for 22s in a SD role for me is when age or infirmity make shooting centerfire guns problematic. I have a Ruger 22/45 that could one day become our HD gun. Very accurate and reliable with most quality ammo. It's also easy to load/unload with limited grip strength. Trigger pull is almost 1911 weight.

We may never get there. As I get older, I work on maintaining strength. Keeping a reliable 22 "on deck" still seems prudent though.

For the Tiny role? I'd likely pick a small revolver in 38 special. Steel, loaded with medium velocity wad-cutters. Generally, a 38's trigger can be tuned better than a rimfire revolver. A few extra ounces to carry is the trade off for accuracy with follow up shots.

17. texduramax

texduramax Shooter

Thanks for the heads up Terry.

18. gamecocks

gamecocks

In rimfire SD, I'd put reliable ignition as my #1 priority by a long shot. I'd then want a high velocity solid round nose for penetration, I suppose...but I'm in no way an expert, so my input isn't even worth 2 cents.

19. LOWBOY

LOWBOY

You only use the round that allowed your gun to function best. .22 cal is #1 hit man round. must work ok at minimum.