Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 22 mag..practice and find your limitations, the round will do the job if it's put in correctly. Years ago I owned a NAA 22 mag and dispatched a deer that was wounded from a car and it just dropped with a single round in the proper spot..everybody gets so uptight about caliber/ stopping power, you can stop a boar or a bear with that round, or piss it off and guarantee your demise it's all in your hands. There's documentation of a female Inuit that would hunt regularly for polar bear with a single shot bolt action 22lr rifle, look it up.

·
Registered
127,525 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 22 mag..practice and find your limitations, the round will do the job if it's put in correctly. Years ago I owned a NAA 22 mag and dispatched a deer that was wounded from a car and it just dropped with a single round in the proper spot..everybody gets so uptight about caliber/ stopping power, you can stop a boar or a bear with that round, or piss it off and guarantee your demise it's all in your hands. There's documentation of a female Inuit that would hunt regularly for polar bear with a single shot bolt action 22lr rifle, look it up.
Hunting and stopping a charge are two totally different things.

Using a rimfure for self defense is not wise, regardless of what spin you try to put on it.

·
Registered
127,525 Posts
I sometimes carry a NAA Pug .22 magnum. With its XS sights it's more accurate than you'd think. Much more than "minute of head" out to 15 yards or so. But it's more of a phone booth distance weapon.

If the pill doesn't kill them, the flame out the front just might. :)
That flame is where you’re losing so much velocity though. Lots of unburnt powder in the barrel.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
That flame is where you’re losing so much velocity though. Lots of unburnt powder in the barrel.
No doubt.

But the size of this gun truly makes it an "anywhere" gun. Regardless of power loss, trumps fist, foot, or knife anytime. :)

I've owned NAA minis, off and on, for over 20 years, either .22 or .22 mag, or combo. The Pug is the first one that I've had that has usable sights. Same for the Black Widows, but I haven't owned one of those.

I'll never sell my Pug. Just too useful when everything else is too big.

·
Registered
127,525 Posts
No doubt.

But the size of this gun truly makes it an "anywhere" gun. Regardless of power loss, trumps fist, foot, or knife anytime. :)

I've owned NAA minis, off and on, for over 20 years, either .22 or .22 mag, or combo. The Pug is the first one that I've had that has usable sights. Same for the Black Widows, but I haven't owned one of those.

I’m not sure I could operate one efficiently under stress.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No doubt.

Public restroom poop stall gun

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I’m not sure I could operate one efficiently under stress.
Sure you could. Easier than you think.

If you've ever considered opening a knife one handed, say while in a ground fight, this is easier.

Cock, poke into (chin, chest, groin) and pull trigger. Repeat as necessary. :) It does have enough accuracy though to walk a tin can out to 15 to 20 yards. I've done it.

Folks have been using SA revolvers, large and small, for a long time. This won't replace G19, but as a last ditch, it has a lot to recommend imo.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure you could. Easier than you think.

If you've ever considered opening a knife one handed, say while in a ground fight, this is easier.

Cock, poke into (chin, chest, groin) and pull trigger. Repeat as necessary. :) It does have enough accuracy though to walk a tin can out to 15 to 20 yards. I've done it.

Folks have been using SA revolvers, large and small, for a long time. This won't replace G19, but as a last ditch, it has a lot to recommend imo.

I wouldn't mind having one of those PUGs

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,265 Posts
I know first hand, what a .22 caliber bullet can do to my shoulder. As to a .22 magnum for SD? I DARN SURE WOULD NOT WANT TO BE HIT BY ONE! You may do as you wish!

Flash

·
20,732 Posts
I ask cause I just bought a revolver that can shoot .22LR and .22WMR
It depends on barrel length. You need at least 1 3/4 -2 inches of barrel length to get velocities that are higher than a 22 LR when fired from the same gun. 4 inches is better and six or more inches is better yet.

A 22 Long Rifle when fired out of a rifle barrel aat 1200 FPS is deadly but out of a pistol barrel at 900 fps it is weak. the beauty of the 22 mag. out of at least a 2 inch pistol barrel, is that it can achieve that magic 1200 fps with a 40 grain bullet.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts