GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a .22 shooter I'm sure you remember the almost four year drought of any .22 LR ammunition and here it is again. All centerfire ammunition with few exceptions is pretty much unobtainable due to mass buying by new and experienced shooter's. I can understand that. Recent statistics show 25 Million new gun owners. A couple boxes of handgun ammunition is a lot of ammo nationwide, but .22 again? Here's hoping it's not gone for another four years.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I agree there has been somewhat of a drought for the past 5+ years for .22lr ammo. However I have seen locally that there are periods when there are vast amounts of ammo inventory priced out a prices of the bygone days. There has been spikes for me from a brick of 500 non target different manufacturers rounds going from $15 a brick to $140 over the past year.

Stay vigilant and check prices and inventory often especially at Walmart.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I have been able to buy 22 LR for 5-6 cents a round at LGS up until about a month ago for Federal 40 GR American Eagle, Federal Automatch, or Browning BPR 40 GR. They still have a decent supply but now 10 cents a round for Aguila 40 GR Match, Federal 40 GR Match (no limit), or Winchester Wildcat (no limit). I have a pretty good stash of 22 LR but if the election goes a certain way I may buy few more bricks even at 10 cents a round since wife has also started shooting and loves our Browning Buckmark.

Online pricing is crazy high for what 22 LR is available though.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Thanks for the snotty answer. The shortage DIDN'T hit me. I learn from the past.
Your post clearly showed surprise. Have you known about this for 8 months and just decided to start a thread? Sorry if I misunderstood.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your post clearly showed surprise. Have you known about this for 8 months and just decided to start a thread? Sorry if I misunderstood.
I bought 3000 rounds of CCI Blazer in plastic ammunition boxes at 6 cent's three weeks ago so yes, I was surprised. I don't live under a rock, just out in the woods.

·
Venor ergo sum
3,297 Posts
I stocked up over the past few years, 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 Special, and .22 LR. Been shooting a good bit of 9mm in practice and competition. Once my ball ammo is gone, I’ll shoot .40, then .38, then .22. By then hopefully this BS will be over.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I stocked up over the past few years, 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 Special, and .22 LR. Been shooting a good bit of 9mm in practice and competition. Once my ball ammo is gone, I’ll shoot .40, then .38, then .22. By then hopefully this BS will be over.
I‘m with you. It gives me a chance to work my way through the stash. When I start shooting my 10mm and 9x18 Makarov then the Pandemic can officially suck it!

·
Aw sheet main
1,551 Posts
I just don't get how gun owners can go through a drought like we did, and neglect to buy when ammo became available. Especially .22LR.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Have you been under a rock since February?
If you remember the other shortages, how did this one get you?
I just don't get how gun owners can go through a drought like we did, and neglect to buy when ammo became available. Especially .22LR.
No joke, I got 29K rounds and can't even remember the last time I shot 22- I think I use it when acclimating women to pistol shooting. My grandkids might run out of my ammo, but I sure won't. And I don't even have children. Maybe I'll trade it for weed after the coming bans, I'm sure there are some industrious middle school kids who'll sling weed and ammo to desperate middle age white men.

·
If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?
1,011 Posts
If you are a .22 shooter I'm sure you remember the almost four year drought of any .22 LR ammunition and here it is again. All centerfire ammunition with few exceptions is pretty much unobtainable due to mass buying by new and experienced shooter's. I can understand that. Recent statistics show 25 Million new gun owners. A couple boxes of handgun ammunition is a lot of ammo nationwide, but .22 again? Here's hoping it's not gone for another four years.
You’re right on. Here, it’s been that way since March and the lockdowns. Then add the riots over the junkie felon ODing, and the quadannual election scare - it’s a perfect storm. .22 has been included in that, that’s why we have the 3 box limit.

EVERYTHING is selling. Although we have .357 Sig, .25 Auto, and .32 ACP left. Even most of the hunting ammo is gone.

·
Just lack finishing up
3,384 Posts
No joke, I got 29K rounds and can't even remember the last time I shot 22- I think I use it when acclimating women to pistol shooting. My grandkids might run out of my ammo, but I sure won't. And I don't even have children. Maybe I'll trade it for weed after the coming bans, I'm sure there are some industrious middle school kids who'll sling weed and ammo to desperate middle age white men.
Dude, you're rich! Good plan!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts