Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ever happened to the .22 Long. I never see them on the shelves. Are they made anymore?

Reactions: deputy tom

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The only application I can see for .22 Long (or short) is one of the few guns made specifically for the round. The Winchester 1890 pump is probably the best. You could get it for Short, Long, Long Rifle, or WRF, but not interchangeably. I think Bernardelli made a pocket auto in .22 long because it would fit the action length of a .25.

So it is not likely to be found on store shelves, but you can order it from places like:
https://ammo.com/rimfire/22-long-ammo

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
Beretta hand a pocket pistol in 22 Short. Friend of mine like gallery rifles had six or so. High Standard Sport King was nicest of the bunch I think. I used shorts for hunting for a while then switched to 22 mag. I had a Remington 572 that ran shorts, only semi auto I ever seen made for LR and run shorts. Only tried a box I had since so hard to find and pricey now.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Considering we are just recovering from the great .22 ammo shortage I suspect makers are still focusing on long rifle ammo primarily. My local sportsman’s warehouse has cci cb long high velocity long and Winchester high velocity long as well.

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
Beretta hand a pocket pistol in 22 Short. Friend of mine like gallery rifles had six or so. High Standard Sport King was nicest of the bunch I think. I used shorts for hunting for a while then switched to 22 mag. I had a Remington 572 that ran shorts, only semi auto I ever seen made for LR and run shorts. Only tried a box I had since so hard to find and pricey now.
When I was very young, my first .22 caliber rifle was a Winchester model 74 specifically for .22 Short. I shot it for many years then gave it to my son and he has given it to his daughter.

My childhood shooting friends had a mix of .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 long rifle. It was a mess when they mixed up rounds accidently. I even shot a .22 long or long rifle (don't remember which) in my .22 Short only rifle. It was a semi-auto and for that reason saved my ass from harm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jva3GNo5S4

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I was young in the 1960's we bought 22 longs cause they were cheaper than long rifles. We bought them at hardware stores. In those days an eight year old kid could buy ammo. If you could not afford a full box of 50, they would break open the box and sell you however many you could afford. Simple and good times back then.

·
NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Remington Speedmaster will shoot the shorts also. Shoots S,L,LR

Reactions: janice6

·
****** Viejo
30,445 Posts
What ever happened to the .22 Long. I never see them on the shelves. Are they made anymore?
Two days after your post I went to a gun show.. One vendor had four hundred rounds of CCI Longs on the table. I thought of you. tom. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Never understood the long. Short bullet with a LR case. I remember as a kid quite a few stores carried them for old timey guns. But I haven't seen any in years.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Historically the short was first then the long and later the long rifle. As mentioned some guns ( the. Winchester 1890’s being the prime example) were specifically built for longs. The rifling twist rate was optimized for the smaller 29 grain bullet and if if they will chamber a long rifle won’t be accurate as the twist rate is not fast enough to stabilize the longer 40 grain bullet in the lr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.