.22 long rifle

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Kentguy, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Kentguy

Kentguy

I managed to pick up a couple of hundred rounds of Winchester Super X, 40g, .22 LR. Went to the range with my rifle and a couple of my .22 hand guns to try them out. My Savage rifle just ate the up and spit them out - nice accuracy as well. I have a Ruger Mark IV (target model) and although I had no feeding issues, I did have a couple flyers. I guess that could be expected with most any .22 lr. My Ruger wrangler (6-shot revolver) really liked these rounds! Nice tight groups.

I haven't shot any .22's in a guess almost a year or so, I also forgot just how much fun you can have with these tiny rounds. I have a pretty good stash of .22 lr, some are getting just a bit up there in age. I found a box of Federal 525 rounds with a price tag on it of $10.95. Now that was a while ago.

I heading back to the range this weekend and warm up those .22 pistols & rifles I have. So, for just target shooting has anyone else been shooting .22? What brand do you find works best for you?

Berto likes this.
  2. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

Kentguy, I have a 10/22 I enjoy shooting. It seems to feed pretty much any brand of ammo. I have a few high cap mags that don't seem to be as reliable as the Ruger mags though. Also have a High-Standard Dura-Matic that's fun to run, and a very old H&R Side-Kick 9 shot revolver. I need to let a gunsmith look at it. It fails to fire one round out of the nine in the cylinder every time. I have a lot of love and affection for 22LR and 22WMR. My 22WMR bolt gun is a tack driver. Many nuisance pests have bitten the dust because of it. Headshot. One shot, one kill. I do administer the occasional curtesy shot. Occasionally.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Kentguy likes this.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I like playin with the .22 when I can, always have. It's just flat fun, and a break from all the big cals... I have a number of them. I like shooting the Ruger 10/22, and my Late son bought me a Ruger MK 2?? I think it is, and that is a fun gun as well. All mine are.

I recently bought the Ruger Wrangler, and have popped one round through so far. Need to step out and shoot it more when I have the time. Seems like a nice $160.00-ish gun. But I like all things Ruger.

I use what is one hand for ammo. I lean to CCI more than anything else probably, Federal, Remington next, Winchester.

Have fun.

CM
    :horse:

IMG_3212.jpg

4. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

CCI Mini Mags only for me. I have lots.

CanyonMan likes this.
  5. Kentguy

Kentguy

I like the CCI line of .22 products as well, I keep a good supply of each on hand;
    Velocitor - 40g cphp
    Mini-mags - 36g cphp
    Stinger - 32g cphp
    Standard velocity - 40g lrn
    The "stinger" is my favorite for small game hunting or varment control - great for ground hogs. love them out of my Savage Mark II BXP (bolt action), even with the 4x32 Bushnell scope, not the best but it works just fine.

CanyonMan likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

What about this new CCI Copper 22 stuff? Super high velocity...

7. collim1

collim1

I have recently rediscovered .22 LR as well.

I haven’t shot it in years, but had a pretty sizable stash of it at home I had more or less forgotten about.

I bought a Beretta M9 when the coronavirus ammo crunch began.

I have enjoyed shooting it. It’s not fun shooting ammo that I can replace l, so I haven’t touched my stash of 9mm.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Kentguy

Kentguy

Those CCI rounds I have listed above are just what I have on the shelf at the moment. Would love to try some of those SHV rounds.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Jim2527

Jim2527

I have a lot of it on the way.... I only range shoot but like to try different types... should make a nice sound with that 1850 velocity.

Doc Holliday likes this.