GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a number of .22 lever actions over the years. The most famous is the Marlin which traces its ancestors to the late 1800s.

Has the Marlin or any other .22 lever action ever had a side loading gate?

·
NRA Life Member
5,541 Posts
[QUOTE="railfancwb.

Has the Marlin or any other .22 lever action ever had a side loading gate?[/QUOTE]

I’ve never seen anything but a tube fed rimfire lever action. If there ever was a side loading gate on a rimfire, it must have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Reactions: CanyonMan

·
Sinistram delenda est
323 Posts
Marlin 1891 is the only .22 lever action I can think of with a side loading gate.

·
98.SiG and Rising!
720 Posts
My lever action Marlin .22mag is tube fed.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have only seen tube fed at silhouette matches, including vintage. Given how delicate the round is, I would be concerned about loading through a gate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
94-22 is a great gun. Solid quality and smooth action. Had one but sold it. Couldn’t keep the darn mag tube locked in. Seemed to be a common problem. And it didn’t like ejecting some ammo. Still have my marlin 39 made in 1960s. Runs like a champ and one of the more accurate 22s. I like the henrys too, smooth action and reliable. But they don’t seem to have the accuracy of the marlin to me.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,265 Posts
To only lever action 22 I've ever had was an Ithaca single shot. I've never had much use for lever or bolt (except target) rifles just because how small the cartridge is and the pain of loading tube magazines, the limited capacity of most magazine feed 22's, and the weight. Then the 10/22 came around.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know there have been a number of .22 lever actions over the years. The most famous is the Marlin which traces its ancestors to the late 1800s.

Has the Marlin or any other .22 lever action ever had a side loading gate?

No side loading gate on my Henry.

Just very accurate!!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
There is a rare .22 mag version of the 1894. But I think even that was under the tube feeding.

Don't know what it would get you. I'd think any speed you could pick up would be offset some by fumbling with smaller cartridges.

Maybe topping up but...not like it's hard to do with the tube feeding as is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Had a Marlin around 2006 or so--and didn't care for it--at all ----sure its fairly well made but I don't get the reverence held for it.

Have a BL22 now ---much better rifle and one of my most fun guns

1 - 20 of 20 Posts