Glock Talk banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
I think this is going to go on for a long, long time.

People will need to be convinced that ammo will be readily available again before this will panic buying will stop.

And how can they be convinced if they keep buying????

I think this is going to go on for a long, long time.

People will need to be convinced that ammo will be readily available again before this will panic buying will stop.

And how can they be convinced if they keep buying????
My thoughts exactly. People have artificially created this problem. The gun supply will probably get better first due to the cost involved. The fear with ammo is like a contagious disease.

I think the mass panic is largely due to people being to paranoid. After all the rhetoric I don't see any major gun legislation happening. People are hoarding ammo out of fear. I was working at a gun shop when the Brady bill was passed. It was similar to this back then. The black helicopters are coming,our guns will be confiscated. It never happened. In my opinion this shortage of ammo is due mainly to an irrational knee jerk reaction by consumers.
Knee jerk reaction? Hmmm... I've been buying extra ammo for about 5 years now. :supergrin: Right now... I'm not buying ANY. Knee jerk? Paranoid? Really?

I think the mass panic is largely due to people being to paranoid. After all the rhetoric I don't see any major gun legislation happening. People are hoarding ammo out of fear. I was working at a gun shop when the Brady bill was passed. It was similar to this back then. The black helicopters are coming,our guns will be confiscated. It never happened. In my opinion this shortage of ammo is due mainly to an irrational knee jerk reaction by consumers.
I don't see any mass panic; there haven't been any "ammo riots" or gun shops burned or looted.

The various loose definitions of "paranoia", as used in an informal manner, usually include words like irrationality, delusion, and unreasonable fear.

After a person has seen and lived through a similar situation, as many of us did around 2007/2008, the term paranoia really doesn't apply.

- It's not an irrational concern that you may run out of ammo, if you depend on factory ammo and you've run out during similar situations in the past.

- If you check the usual sources for ammo twice a week for a couple of months, and don't find any 9mm ammo, you aren't delusional; there is very little ammo moving, and it rarely sits around on the shelves/websites due to quick purchases as soon as it appears.

- Once you haven't been able to buy ammo for several months, it is not an unreasonable fear that this situation could go continue for a much longer period of time.

In fact, I could make a much stronger case for folks who HAVEN'T stocked-up being irrational and delusional. They seem to irrationally believe that something that happened once could never happen again, and even if it did, it wouldn't last as long (or longer) than it did last time. They delude themselves into believing that just because a large selection of ammo has USUALLY been available at their local stores and online, that it would ALWAYS be available at one or both of these sources, despite previous shortages and the fact that NOTHING had changed since the last problem.

Finally, when a person learns from their (or other folks') previous mistakes, and takes action to prevent a recurrence from affecting their target-shooting lifestyle or a personal defense situation, this is not "hoarding"; it is prudent planning for the future. The term "hoarding" however, is useful for identifying those who were not prudent in their planning, or suffered from poor timing.

This could be much worse; what if it wasn't ammo we were talking about? How much toilet paper do you have on-hand in your house right now? How long would it last you/your family? The same just-in-time supply system is used to produce, distribute, stock and sell TP.

I checked cableas.com today and I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw a picture of Federal bulk packs...but it was only available in stores - not on line.

The week prior to the Newton shootings I could walk into any LGS and buy any AR-15 I wanted. Any Glock and the ammo to go with it. Within days of the shooting the shelves were empty as we all know. That's the definition of knee jerk panic. All driven by fear. The fear is like a wildfire that spreads out of control.

I checked cableas.com today and I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw a picture of Federal bulk packs...but it was only available in stores - not on line.

:rofl: I just did the same exact thing. I was like :wow:, clicked on the link, then I was like :upeyes:.

The week prior to the Newton shootings I could walk into any LGS and buy any AR-15 I wanted. Any Glock and the ammo to go with it. Within days of the shooting the shelves were empty as we all know. That's the definition of knee jerk panic. All driven by fear. The fear is like a wildfire that spreads out of control.
Well, I stood in a couple of local shops as they sold ARs hand-over-fist, and what I heard wasn't panic or fear. It was more along the lines of:

"I was going to get one of these next month/next year/eventually, guess I better get it now before prices go up."

"Dang .GOV might say next month I can't have one, so I'm gonna buy TWO today! One for me, and one for my son..."

Multiply by several thousand, and next thing you know, there isn't any more ARs in the racks. I'm not saying NO ONE was buying out of fear, but if so, it was more like fear that the Feds might pass another law like the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban (which also included magazine restrictions), which again, is more along the lines of "learning from the past" and "prudent planning" than "OMG! I gotta get Xxxxxx RIGHT NOW!!!"

There were also some speculators, hoping to buy low and sell high, flipping the guns for profit at a later date. I hope those guys somehow get caught holding the bag...

People were buying because they thought the shootings would initiate major gun legislation. I couldn't find a parking spot at the gunshop on my first trip after the shooting. Every LGS here was the same. Everbody was afraid they wouldn't be able to buy those guns anymore. This wave of hysteria is far worse than when Clinton passed the assault weapon ban.

(snip)

This could be much worse; what if it wasn't ammo we were talking about? How much toilet paper do you have on-hand in your house right now? How long would it last you/your family? The same just-in-time supply system is used to produce, distribute, stock and sell TP.
Well put, DJNiner.

Well... except the part that now has me freakin' out about TP! ;)
Heading to the store at lunch and going to buy every roll they have.
Exhibit A:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/16/venezuela-toilet-paper-shortage-50m

I wish my predictive skillz worked on lottery numbers...

Just received e mail add for a supposed sale on ammunition. What it turned out to be as far as I was concerned was a Smoking Bad Deal. 325 rounds of Federal 36 gr. lr junk in a peanut can,for get this 79.99. This was from a very recognizable national distributor,PASS. SJ 40

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.