Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts
Around my area 22's are really scarce. I like shooting standard velocity ammo behind my house on a bench. That ammo has become impossible to find locally. Ive been forced to go to Gunbroker. Just no other choice if I want to shoot. Ive managed to stockpile some this way. Some of the asking prices for ammo are completely stupid though.

I scored 1600 rounds today at Gander Mt for $99. They only had 1 case and I got it. They had about 50 boxes Remington thunderbolt 525 round boxes that were gone in about 10 minutes.
Our local Gander also got a shipment earlier in the week (Thursday, I think it was?). I just happened to be standing there when they rolled the pallet over to the ammo shelf (I had stopped to look around on my way to work; pure luck).

This is what I saw: a case (10) of Champion .22 rimfire value packs (525 rounds) @ $22.99 each. I bought two; one for myself, and one for my son. About a half-case of Thunderbolt .22 rimfire in individual 50-round boxes, a case of Spitfire rimfire ammo (couldn't see any details), a case of Independence .223 FMJ (in 20-round boxes), and a bunch of miscellaneous centerfire rifle ammo in various calibers (2-4 boxes of each).

This store still has centerfire handgun ammo in-stock (both FMJ and JHP loads), but their prices are high (I assume that's why they still have some available).

I called a few folks to let them know about the rimfire and .223, and a friend who got there a few hours later said it was all gone. The ammo IS still moving to the stores, but quantities are low, and demand is still high. When everybody has a personal communicator an arm's length away 24/7, word of new stock spreads quickly and stuff doesn't last long.

Keep looking, folks.

Just did a scouting trip of my local Wally world this past Friday to get a snapshot view of the situation at the moment.

Basically, for non-shot cartridges, if you don't have anything that shoots .22-250 or .243, you're screwed.

There was an assortment of .410 and 20 gauge shells -- they all looked to be either target or bird loads.

Found some .22lr.
Prices are outrageous.
The Blazer was $17.99 before the panic and $9.99 about a year ago.

They also had 100rd packs of CCI subsonics for $12.99 . . .
Word from the gunshop worker is that Federal shipments are now held up due to problems getting orders packaged.

Found some .22lr.
Prices are outrageous.
The Blazer was $17.99 before the panic and $9.99 about a year ago.

They also had 100rd packs of CCI subsonics for $12.99 . . .
Word from the gunshop worker is that Federal shipments are now held up due to problems getting orders packaged.
I guess "any port in a storm" might apply -- but at that price, I think I would definitely try to space out my existing inventory...

I hit up 3 walmarts today. The surprising thing was no more 100 round 12 gauge shells. Tons of turkey shells, and lots of 20 gauge 100 roun packs. I think the nuts have already started buying them up Round here as well.

After hearing about the supposed shortage of .22 ammo, I decided to to check out the local ranch store. When I asked the manager if he had any, he just laughed at me. So I asked when he might be getting more. He says " September". I thought he was joking so I smiled. He said " no joke, we should get ammo in time for hunting season" I was stunned.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Idiots and panickers--like some of the posters on this thread, who've said they're buying up everything possible--are the ones to blame. Sure, the idiots in Washington, D.C. are partly to blame, but also are the people who buy every last round available. And stockpiling thousands upon thousands of rounds NOW? And .22 LR? What, do you think .22 LR is gonna be outlawed? You're out of your minds, and the 10% of y'all doing it are the reason the other 90% of us can't find or afford enough of anything to even fill a magazine.

I was at a Walmart yesterday in a small town in SC. Just for kicks I went and checked the ammo counter. Empty of course. I talked to the guy at the counter and asked him about the ammo shortage. He said he had three cases of 22 the day before. He said ammo lasts no longer than 20 mins once it hits the shelf.

There isnt the abundant supply there was before I will 100% vouch for that..BUT at least here in North Central PA I can still get it just about anywhere including the LGS(various brands but the best deal was Remington "golden bullets"),WalMart(where I just picked up 2 325 packs for 550 total rounds of Winchester match ammo...and left more on the shelf BTW) and even Gander Mountain had the big bulk(expensive) plastic ammo can type deals last time I was there. Not as much and not as much Variety but still can find it.

Idiots and panickers--like some of the posters on this thread, who've said they're buying up everything possible--are the ones to blame. Sure, the idiots in Washington, D.C. are partly to blame, but also are the people who buy every last round available. And stockpiling thousands upon thousands of rounds NOW? And .22 LR? What, do you think .22 LR is gonna be outlawed? You're out of your minds, and the 10% of y'all doing it are the reason the other 90% of us can't find or afford enough of anything to even fill a magazine.
I can't help chuckling at the commentary by those who did not see... nay.... refused to see this coming. The reason we bought a crapload of .22LR (among other calibers) had nothing to do with expecting a ban.

Over the last several years, I have regularly bought ammo (that I did not immediately "need") like many "dollar cost average" their investments.

It's a commodity that I will eventually use. It's a commodity that which I expected a shortage. I also expected prices to go up.

"Buy it cheap and stack it deep" is another way of saying "hedging against price increases and shortages in the future." It's just SMART.

Turns out that those of us who saw this coming were not "paranoid" as we were often characterized only a few years ago. We were RIGHT! And, now those that didn't prepare are pissed. And, just as the anti-liberty people want to find someTHING to blame for atrocious crimes, those without ammo want to blame someONE for their situation.

I only wish I had bought more. But, I'm good-to-go for now... and for quite some time.

:panties:

Some people were smart enough to see this coming, but evidently, you were not. The fact that ammo shortages surprise you is astonishing. Nobody stocked up on .22 LR because it might be outlawed, they knew it would become scarce and that prices would skyrocket. You may think somebody is an "idiot" for having been prepared, but they're not the ones complaining that they don't have any ammo. You were free to plan ahead as well and buy when supplies were plentiful, but you chose not to. Blaming those who did is ridiculous.

Ive been away from shooting the past few years. I just recently started getting back into it big time. Im actually curious what is causing this run on 22 ammo. Why did some people see this coming? I honestly just dont get it.

Ive been away from shooting the past few years. I just recently started getting back into it big time. Im actually curious what is causing this run on 22 ammo. Why did some people see this coming? I honestly just dont get it.
The "run" on .22LR is a natural extension of the "run" on the other calibers. Because of the current environment, centerfire calibers have gotten scarce and expensive. Many of us would still like to enjoy range time without depleting our now much more expensive centerfire ammo. So, we default to the .22LR. So, now we have a run on that.

Why did we see this coming??? Are you familiar with our current President and his acolytes? Were you not aware of their LONG-HELD agenda as it pertains to guns and the 2A? They haven't been bashful about it. Accordingly, we haven't been dismissive of it. And, we acted on it preemptively. It's rather simple and logical.

I think the mass panic is largely due to people being to paranoid. After all the rhetoric I don't see any major gun legislation happening. People are hoarding ammo out of fear. I was working at a gun shop when the Brady bill was passed. It was similar to this back then. The black helicopters are coming,our guns will be confiscated. It never happened. In my opinion this shortage of ammo is due mainly to an irrational knee jerk reaction by consumers.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.