close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

21SF shooting low only-how to correct?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pm666, Jan 9, 2010.

1. pm666

pm666

I'm shooting my Glock 21SF low (very, very few to the left). I tried a friends' Taurus .357 revolver (using .38 Special ammo) which I shot very well. The diagnosis chart I looked at stated "breaking wrist down" and/or "drooping head". I have some idea what these mean, but was wondering if someone could expand on this and offer some advice on how to correct.
    Just becaue I shot the revolver better, I still don't believe the Glock is at fault. I think it's something I'm doing different when I shoot the Glock.

Thanks,
    paul

2. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I've had the same dilemma with Glocks-I sometimes push the gun forward and get low centered shots-anticipating?
    For me I had to separate my hand(s) from the trigger finger
    To me the good shot is both both hands relaxed(main hand more so) trigger finger only moves and letting the gun recoil
    I finally shot a group I'm proud of today-1300 rounds later:upeyes:
    I don't have the same problem with my other guns

3. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

This is most likely correct. ;)

GLOCKs generally require a "combat hold" insteasd of a "6 o'clock" hold to be accurate.

What I mean is this: when lining all three dots in a row (or keeping the dot in the exact middle of the "box" on GLOCK standard sights), put the center dot OVERLAPPING the intended target.
    A 6 o'clock hold would have the center dot just UNDER the intended target.

:wavey: I think if you learn to hold the GLOCK this way you will have much better luck in drilling out the X ring.

4. kda

kda NRA Life Member

When I shoot low with my Glocks (or someone I am helping to learn to shoot is shooting low and not low left or low right), it is invariably because we are jerking the trigger. Unlike a revolver, often shot single action, the Glock has a longer trigger pull and it is surprisingly easy for newer shooters to get impatient for the weapon to fire and thus jerk the trigger for the last small distance ... which pulls the shot low.

To help with this, I've learned to "stack" the trigger, then refine the sight picture and finally to pull the trigger through the last 1/4" or so (never measured) needed to fire.

Start with an empty weapon so you can dry fire. Cock the empty weapon, then while watching your finger on the trigger, pull back until you meet serious resistance. You should notice that very little trigger pull is left and it will take serious pressure to move the trigger that last 1/4" or so and cause the firing pin to drop.

Practice a bit and you'll learn that "stacking" the trigger is really easy and safe. Then when you are at the range and ready to shoot, practice as follows:

Point at the target
    Stack the trigger
    Refine the sight picture on the target
    Squeeze the trigger through that last 1/4" to fire the weapon.

It might be the cure to your shooting low and will definitely improve your groups too. At least it has worked that way with those I teach to shoot.

5. teknicfz1

teknicfz1

i have the same habbit, shooting low and a bit left with my glocks(21sf and 17) but dead center with my 357 revolver. i am not a beginer shooter but fairly new to the glock world and have never really known how exactly the sights are suppose to align, thanks MainStreetIowa!

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

How low, and at what distance?

Have you changed anything on the gun? Like sights? Or anything else....

What ammo are you shooting?

Got dummy rounds?

7. pm666

pm666

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them. I've changed the mag release and the slide lock (take down). About 7 inches low at 21 feet. I don't think I have a dummy round, I will have to check. 230 grain .45 acp - either American Eagle or Winchester White Box.
    I am slowly gaining trigger "awareness", today was the first time I've tried shooting using trigger reset.

8. Evela

Evela

This is a pretty common problem, and you will get all manner of corrective actions or issues. Milking is very common (search on it) and should be eliminated before trying anything else.

9. Butch

Seven inches is a LOT at 7 yards, I've never seen a Glock that was that far off, it's always been a trigger control problem, you're pulling the gun down as you pull the trigger. Some call it milking the grip, I call it pulling the gun down as you pull the trigger. Yes, it can be done pretty consistently.

That can make a big difference all by itself, but if you can find a dummy round or two (snap caps work too), mix them into a mag of live ammo so you won't know when you'll hit them. If you are watching the front sight like you're supposed to be when you hit a dummy round, you'll be able to see yourself pull the gun down into the area of the target where your rounds are impacting it now.

In other words, you'll see that you are not squeezing the trigger the same way that you do when you dry fire.....you do dry fire....right?

Suggest that you check out my blog for 'how to' posts on trigger control, sighting, targets etc....

10. pm666

pm666

Hi Butch,
    I'm not even considering blaming the gun at this point. I didn't know you had a blog...sounds awesome! Where can I find it? Thanks, p

11. Butch

It's right below my avatar picture, click on the '8'...

<-------

12. pm666

pm666

Oops...I didn't know that was for that. Thanks!

13. Bones507

Bones507

Might be a flinch also and youre not seeing it so what was said about the dummy rounds will bring it right to your attention. One thing to be aware of that i never was before is to keep your eyes open throughout the whole shot. This sounds like common sense but i read up about it on Brian Enos site and its something to look into. While youre pulling the trigger if youre flinching, you close your eyes for a split second and that ruins the shot also. I was doing it for years and was never aware of it, Brian calls it follow through or calling the shot. If you go his site the guys there explain it way better than i can, a lot of great info there from top shooters.
    You really got to take your time when pulling the trigger and be totally relaxed, if not the stress will creep in and you go off target. Its just something we do without ever being aware of it.
    Heres a link for you and i hope you find something there.
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=81

14. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Try ignoring the dot completely, and place the very top surface of the front sight (when level with top of rear notch) directly on center of target...

The dot on front sight is for fast use/crude indexing, and is not really the precise aim point.

15. pm666

pm666

Thanks! Plenty of ideas to work on and plenty of info to read up on.

16. Seawolf

Seawolf

Here is an excelent video by Todd Jarret explaining proper grip and tecnique. He is primarily a 1911 shooter, but the same is true for the Glock as well.

Something I had to get used to with the Glock is the trigger reset. Glock has a nice crisp reset on the trigger so what you have to do is train yourself not to let the trigger all the way out. Instead you want to release only until the trigger resets and then press again for your followup shots. Once you learn this tecnique you will get a lot tighter groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Here is another example of how to properly grip the pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvJzFdcYSag&feature=related

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010