21SF Ambi mag release upgrades?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hump, Jan 15, 2010.

1. hump

hump

I bought a 21SF today and like the idea of the ambi mag release but it sure could be smoother. Does anyone offer upgrades for these. I may end up taking it back and ordering one with the standard release but would rather keep what I have if I can get it to work properly. I have read a bunch of posts about issues with this setup but cannot find any resolutions to the problems.

2. Taz

Taz

I have one as well that I am contemplating converting to a 22LR only set up and getting a new RTF version and standard mag release. I love the idea of being able to use my index finger to activate the mag release, but its not the best designed system out there. I have also thought about seeing if i can get my hands on couple of spares and adding an oversized button to it to see what happens.

As far as 3rd party support goes, I think were out of luck seeing that Glock has abandoned the design in favor of the reversible concept ala the M&P for the gen 4 frames.

I guess its another excuse to get that GSSF membership and cert.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

That's because the only solution that 100% works is to get a new frame with standard mag release. Some people have had them break, sent them back to Glock, break again, sent them back to Glock again and Glock ends up replacing the whole frame with a standard mag release frame.

4. Jim S.

Jim S.

I have to wonder about this subject. I have a 21SF with the ambi release. I have over 7000 rounds through her without a problem. That includes the ambi release.
    When I first got the gun the release didn't feel right. I stripped the gun and looked her over. When I put it back together I made sure to seat the pivot pins of the mag release mechanism fully into their slots and have not had a problem with it. I had to use a small flat screwdriver to get it to go down all the way.
    I also am in the habit of pushing up on the mag as I release it. I know a lot of people don't want to do that but it doesn't bother me.
    Mine works so I have to wonder what makes some not work.
    Before giving up on them try to see if the release is seated all the way into the frame slots.