20M 1/4 wave vertical antennas... any commercial ones out there?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by InjuriousGeorge, Jun 4, 2007.

1. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Does anyone make a full 1/4 wave 20M vertical antenna with radials for elevated mounting?

I'm trying to figure out what material to use for a self-supporting 16-1/2 foot radiator and want to get some ideas from a commercial manufacturer's site.

I tried making an all-wire 1/4 vertical and hoist it up in the trees but my G5RV beats it easily. I think I need more elevation to get above the canopy and clear the ridge line.

2. martho

martho

3. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Thanks for the link. Those look kind of like what I was thinking, but using 6' telescoping sections of aluminum from Texas Towers for the active element.

My concern is by the time I get done farting around with the elevated radials I'm using the same footprint as a 5 band hex beam.

4. FN64

FN64

Have you considered a ground mounted vertical with a bunch of radials??
    I had decent results using one at the lake last month. I used 12Ga solid for the vertical inside a 3/4 pvc conduit & "wreath wire" (~~24ga soft ferrous) for the radials.
    The reason for the iron wire is that I can get miles of it & toss it when I'm done...great for experimenting.

73..FN

5. martho

martho

I don't remember the exact number, but its something like 4 elevated radials are equal to 128 radials on a ground mounted antenna.

6. FN64

FN64

I think 128 is the optimim.. beyond that there's no gain..
    I generally run 20-24 in a "bowtie" configuration & it suits my needs quite well. Of course I'm right on a lake shore as well so theres likely good capacitive coupling to ground.
    ALSO it's miles from other electrical QRM.. something that buries me at home!!

Lake QTH = N 44.83626 W 67.44606

FN

7. martho

martho

Another idea here....

Go to a couple hamfests and buy some old crappy verticals for the base plate and aluminum. Then, make a true 1/4 wave vertical. You only need approx. 16' of vertical radiator. I bet you can easily build it for under $100.

I have two homebrew 1/4 verts. One is 23' tall for 30m and the other is 33' tall for 40m. I used the plates from the hygain AVT/AVQ series. I buried the radials in the ground with lawn staples and both antennas work excellent.

8. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Very good idea.

As an added bonus the look on my wife's face as I start hauling used "treasures" from a hamfest in to the garage will be priceless. :rofl: