close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20ga. for Turkey?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SkippyThe, May 12, 2003.

1. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

Does anyone use a 20ga. for Turkey hunting? And if so any special tactics? Thanks ST

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Just real quick here Skip..... we have see a cajillion killed with 20ga. Just do what you would do with a 12ga.. but limit your shots to about 30yds. use good # 4 or #6 shot, aim for the head.

we've been guiding hunts for these birds for lots 'o years now, and i have seen plenty of gobblers brought down hard with the 20ga..

12 is better... But, i have "NEVER," hesitated to hunt, or guide a hunt, with a 20 ga. Have fun and don't worry about! (full choke if you can).

Good luck!

3. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

CanyonMan to the rescue.

But as he said, 12 is standard but I understand there are some 10 gauges out there that extend your range out even further.

You'll just miss out on all of the calling.

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

CanyonMan

So do you know of any guides in Washington State?

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

duncan,

To answer your question...."NO". I know of no guides in Washington.

All our guiding has been done on the ranch in N.W. Oklahoma, (my home where i have spent most of my life), and now, here on the ranch in W. Texas, with my brother. (home now).

Never been to Washington. Heard it was some pretty country.
    BTW.. I don't feel much like a 'rescuer'... Just done this and cowboyed most of my life...... And still know absolutely 'nothing!' :)

I do know this... my day is ruined with a 10ga.
    The ranch foreman gave me one to shoot once, an old 10ga. double barrel. Got me back about 50 yards from a 55 gal. drum and said 'shoot it.'

i did, and i won't again. At least not with and old salty like that one. To much gun, (actually, not needed) for turkey, geese, ok, but really no need for it on a tom. I've even shot a gobbler with a 410 killed him dead as a hammer. I/We, do prefer 12ga. with #6. and a good x-full choke though "above all else.."

i just wanted to encourage 'SkippyThe', that his 20 was enough!

Come out and hunt with us some time duncan, for a Rio Grande, "on the house!"

Bless ya!

CanyonMan

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My old man got a single shot 20ga with a mod choke, for his birthday when he was 9. That gun has been used to take more game than every gun I own combined. Turkey should be no trouble as long as you know your range.

A 3" magnum 20ga is pretty darn similar to a 2.75" 12ga