close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20ga for Dove/Quail

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by striderglock, Aug 16, 2004.

1. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

20 or 12 for Dove and Quail? Is there really that much difference?

2. MrMunster

MrMunster

If you like to eat them there is.

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Yeah, if you like to eat 'em, get the 12! ;)

4. AR15'em

AR15'em Roll Tide??

With standard "value pack" loads, there isn't a lot of difference. However, the difference is significant when you go in to the heavier loadings, and the 12ga clearly holds an edge. But, when the birds are flying pretty close, you won't see much of a difference. Ammo is virtually the same price, so you might as well stick with the 12ga (unless you are recoil sensitive).

Good luck!

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I used to hunt quail with a 12ga, but switched to a lighter 20ga. It's only a pound lighter, but after miles of walking any weight savings is good. For doves when you mostly stand in one location and make passing shots weight doesn't matter and both kill just fine.

6. noway

noway

Big difference when it comes to shells payloads. The 12ga and or 20ga both can handle taking these game birds, the 12ga just gives you alot more options.

7. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

The only thing I've ever hunted, or intend to hunt is Dove/Quail.

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

How could a dove bushwhacker possible offer anything remotely germane to this thread??

9. muddydog

muddydog

i hunt quail and even ducks in timber with a .20.

close shots..big horsepower really isnt needed.

i dont think you could pay me to lug a .12ga on a quail hunt..pheasants i would but not for quail.

10. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Seconded. All in favor say Aye.

I've shot dove with the same 20-ga A-5 since I was 17. No complaints. I'm as likely to bring home my limit as anyone in the field. But now that my eyesight is beginning to show my years, I'm seriously pondering switching to a 12-ga.

11. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

^6 Must be talking about AR15'em.

12. AR15'em

AR15'em Roll Tide??

Anything to keep you busy, so no need to thank me...

13. TexAg

TexAg

If the only thing you ever intend to hunt is Dove/Quail a 20 is fine. I learned on one and still shoot better with the one I learned on than I do with a 12. It doesnt tear Quail up either if you hit them close range when they flush. Learn to be a good shot with the 20 and you'll have no problems.

14. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

I've decided on a 12 because I already have a set of remington 12ga choke tubes, I might hunt Pheasant or other game later in life that would behoove me to have a 12, and I need all the help I can get. ;Q ;f

15. klmmicro

klmmicro

My dad gave me his Fox 20 gauge side by side years ago and I have used it to put upland game birds on the table since then. It works fine for the smaller birds in the dense cover of South Western chaparell. I have my Remington 870 12 guage if I ever decide to go after duck or turkey.

There is a difference in payload (the 12 carries more shot), but it comes at the price of heavier recoil if that is a concern. Also, my Fox weighs less than my 870 so it is easier to lug around in the field.

16. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I have used a .410 for quail, and 20 gauge, and 12guage. I shot more quail with less shells with the .410, go figure. Im not saying the .410 is the way to go.

I would get a 20 gauge, and not worry about it, and a 20 is fine for ducks over decoys.

Im buying a new shotgun and it will probably be a 12 gauge, because I want to shoot a skeet and trap league and everyone shoots 12's.

Another idea is the 16 gauge, I know Remington is makeing them in both the wingmaster and express, ive been looking at geting the express, I know shells are more expensive and harder to aquire than 12 and 20, but from handling it, I seriously thinking about getting one. They seem like they would carry like a 20 and hit more like a 12.

17. noway

noway

{They seem like they would carry like a 20 and hit more like a 12.}

this has been hashed out before. Most 16ga where builted on a 12gr design and no BIG saving in weight where noticed. So all you would get would be a SG with a very unique ga and shells that you would most likely have to order online unless you live in one of those area blessed with WalMarts and Basspros that carry 16ga locally. You could also reload them but reloading component are a ***** to find also. ;)

btw: I took a look on remington www and the 16ga is upto 3/4lbs lighter on ( depdnding on stock cfg ) avg, vrs the 20ga bing more around 1 1/2lbs lighter than a equal 12ga model. So not sure that alone would justify the buying of a 16ga. Kinda enforces the arguement aganist the 16ga being much better in the weight dept.

;f

18. MrMunster

MrMunster

FWIW, the citori 16ga is built on the 20ga frame and is lighter than the comparable 12ga.

If you want light, take a look at the Franci's. Your shoulder will pay if you shoot it a lot though.