Glock Talk banner

2013-2014 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Any Problems?)

21188 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  DaBigBR
I am checking to see if the 2013-2014 Dodge Charger with the 5.7 Hemi has had any major problems like it's predecessor the 2006-2007 Charger.

Any improvements over the older ones?

Any dislikes?

How is the durability of these vehicles? I know they are not like a Crownie, but that is life.

Any other comments?

Thanks!:wavey:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Where to start?

Door handles falling off - yes, FALLING off the car. Usually driver's side outside handle.

Seat tracks bent not allowing seat to move.

Wiring for headlights fubar - making them fail. Replaced several times on warranty.

Blower motors going out. Makes car sound like an idling Huey.

Huge officer safety issue with keyless start. Once running the car can be driven away without the fob in it. Bye bye police car!

Gets stuck in only a few inches of snow.

Shifter still blows goats.

Interior is still cheesy in regards to materials.

Eats brakes every 20-25 thousand miles.

But hey, it looks cool ... :upeyes: It's still the overhyped car it always was. It's still freakin fast with big blind spots. Still rides way too low to the ground. Still sucks to cross medians with. Still not as reliable as a CVPI. It feels heavy in turns/cornering. Back seat still small.

I know it's a negative review, but you asked about problems ...

Upside is the radio is nice. Nice looking car when painted up with a decent scheme - waaay nicer looking than the Caprice. Ride seems good for a cop car. Runs rings around CVPI. Both the Caprice and Interceptor seem to handle better and be faster/easier to drive.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

· Registered
25,875 Posts
Improvements seem to be slightly less time in the shop then the older ones. A little more room up front then the older ones. Check engine light comes on if both pedals are touched (needs to go to shop to get cleared) and then runs like crap. Most prisoners can't fit in the back.

We tried the key fob thing. Officer standing on passenger side. Other person was able to get in start and drive off. Not very safe or smart on dodges part.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
We tried the key fob thing. Officer standing on passenger side. Other person was able to get in start and drive off. Not very safe or smart on dodges part.
An understatement! I made it THREE miles away before I got bored and took the car back to the guy with the fob when we were playing with it.

Yesterday we had a Dodge with the seatbelt receiver broken - it came apart when it was buckled.

Those cars are crap. Nicely polished, aggressive looking ones, but crap. We loved them at first compared to the CVPI because they were faster and more comfortable inside ... but now that Chevy and Ford have new entries, they are the weak link.

These damn cars are down so much its raising hell with the car partners. They live in the shop, making scheduling nightmares around them.

Its embarrassing and downright scary how useless the Chargers are in bad weather. If its not level, dry and paved its gonna get real interesting quick. I'm in a CVPI and I am gonna hang on to it as long as I possibly can in the hopes we go to Fords.

I don't see the utility for a 350+ horsepower, RWD sedan on our highways and streets if there is a an AWD car that can do the same thing. Colorado is one of the places that Audi, Subaru and Saab sell the most cars - because they offer AWD. If the new Ford doesn't explode when it starts, or break down every 500 miles (which is about 1 mile less than a Dodge seems to have a problem) then it should be a no-brainer. An AWD car is going to be safer in bad weather, period.

· Registered
25,875 Posts
I agree. That's why I turned down a charger and took the last Vic. I hope I get another couple of years out of it.

· Registered
520 Posts
We have about 35 chargers. Mine is an 07 with 131000 miles on it. I'm not the highest mileage vehicle but close. All of ours has the original transmission, somehow. Only major problem with ours is the brakes but that seemed to improve from 2008 on. The power steering pump is going out on mine but I'm supposed to be getting a new car. It also dies randomly but sometimes I can save it when I feel the car start to shake. The traction control and stability control doesn't work in any of our 2006 or 2007s. Apparently there's a defect there as well.

Another one of our 2007s is down right now with a fuel pump out. It's a k9 car with over 150000 and god knows how many idle hours.

The interior of all of ours are still in great shape. Seats are still in one piece and nothing is falling off or coming loose. The backlighting on the hvac controls burn out quick but I just assume it doesn't work anyway as I hate interior lighting.

We have a handful of the new style, they seam to be fine. We're supposed to be getting 6 or so more shortly. I probably won't get a brand new one but rather a newer hand me down.

· Registered
1,675 Posts
2013 and 2014?

I have not heard of a single problem with the 2014's.

The 2013's seem have few complaints just as the prior few years. They seem to be getting better every few years.

My PD is stuck on the V6's. Radio controls on steering wheel are neat as are the CD player and audio inputs for iPhones/etc... Power seats are o.k. but need a #1 and #2 setting if you share a vehicle. Tires when new are great, but wear down fast in hard driving. Tire pressure system tells PSI for each tire, makes for an easy vehicle check on a cold or rainy day.

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Good friend is a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep mechanic. When I was looking between the Taurus SHO and the Charger R/T Plus, he told me, "If you get one over the other, ensure that you LEASE the Charger so that all potential issues will be handled during the lease and you will have returned the car at the end of the lease by the time bigger issues arise."

I picked the SHO...

· Registered
2,316 Posts
With everything I see here and have read in the past couple of years, it makes me wonder why don't you just buy Chevrolet's and be allot happier. There 2013 police package is supposed to be very good, from what I have heard and read.

Just my two cents. :supergrin:

· Registered
520 Posts
With everything I see here and have read in the past couple of years, it makes me wonder why don't you just buy Chevrolet's and be allot happier. There 2013 police package is supposed to be very good, from what I have heard and read.

Can't do that, they have the dreaded console shifter... :whistling:

· Registered
3,322 Posts
The 11's and up were a dramatic upgrade over the previous years. I have a '12 and the only issue I've had is gas vapors in the cabin. It's so bad that it will run you out of the car. Of the four 11 and 12's we have three of them do it. It's random with no rhyme or reason why. Of course we can't duplicate it at the dealership so they won't even look at it. Several surrounding agencies have the same issue so it's certainly not isolated. From what I've heard it's some type of purge valve that is causing the problem and will eventually throw a code and they'll fix it.

Another issue is the rear bumpers, the aren't secured very well. Troopers are tearing them off with shocking regularity. I have tore my off. One clip on the top corner is essentially all that is holding it on each side.

Radio system is very cool though. Plug in an iPhone and the data populates the screen and the steering wheel controls even work it. Pretty cool.

· No Infidels!
8,794 Posts

Can't do that, they have the dreaded console shifter... :whistling:
The Caprice costs about $4-5k more than an Impala, Taurus, or V6 Charger in these parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts