close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2012 Honda CRV Owners Review

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Restless28

Restless28

We have had our 2012 CRV EX AWD for almost 9 months.

Overall it's been reliable. It seats 2 adults and 2 older kids comfortably. I like the low loading floor and ease of entry/exit. It has good visibility and decent power. The heated "leather" seats warm up quickly and the DVD system is adequate for long trips.

The bad:

In daily driving, whether its summer or winter, we never average over 21 MPG. That is daily driving with only my wife in the car. On the highway, it's a struggle to get over 25 MPG.

The transmission seems to hunt for the proper gear at weird times and the car hesitates from a stop at times.

The windows fog up in cold weather in a rapid manner. I have never owned a car that was as severe as this. The solution is to press a button that syncs the heat and blows wide open on the windows. It works, but as soon as you turn it off, the fogging begins again, so you have to constantly switch it on and off.

This is in what most of you call cool weather-the mid 30s and low 40s. It's maddening!

The audio system is clunky and the Bluetooth feels like a 5 year old system. It is not intuitive at all.

In summary, I'm not sure that I would recommend the CRV. You fellas in cold locations would hate the fogging.

In most family hauler situations, our old 156,000 mile 4wd Tahoe beats the CRV in almost everything, except city MPG. The CRV makes a handy daily driver that can occasionally haul light stuff, but it's vastly overrated as a famiły SUV, unless you have a smaller family with tiny kids.

We had a 2004 CRV EX AWD that didn't have the creature comforts and technology of this one, but it had none of the issues that this one has. It was a much better small SUV.

I give it a 3 out of 5. Consumer Reports is lying.

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Thanks, Restless. FWIW, my wife's RAV4 can't seem to find a gear it's happy with, either. I have to turn off overdrive if I'm cruising at the speed limit on the interstate with rolling hills.

3. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks. That is interesting about the Rav4. When we were shopping, I recall the so-called "experts" poo-pooing the Subaru Forester's 4 speed auto. The 4 speed auto in my Tahoe works fine. It never searches for gears.

I'm not so sure that the Forester would have been better or even a CVT Outback. We've also had a recall on the door locks. That involved a less than satisfactory dealer experience. They left grease marks and stains on the interior door plastic and on the windows. When they sent an email asking for service opinions, I informed them of that lackluster attention to detail.

That's been months ago. I haven't gotten a response yet. Add this to the issues that I noted above, and our Honda experience has been disappointing.

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

There is nothing wrong with the defogging system on your vehicle, or the ammount of fogging that is happening. Your windows are fogging up for two reason that are completely your responsibility.

First, every new vehicle has massive ammounts of plastics used in the interior. Plastics are petro-chemical products. Plastics give-off massive ammounts of oily fumes that coat everything, including the inside of the windows. Therefore, the windows of new vehicles need to be cleaned every few weeks for the first year. Your windows are fogging so badly because you have not kept the inside of your windows cleaned properly.

Second, Honda vehicles do not turn the A/C on automatically when defogging is choosen. You need to manually turn on your A/C for the defogger to actually work. Check your manual on this.

5. Restless28

Restless28

So, my Camry had magic plastic? I never had issues with it fogging.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

What year Camry? How many miles on it when you bought it?

I believe that Toyota defogging systems DO automatically engage the A/C system.

Read your Honda manual about de-fogging, and clean the inside of all of your windows properly.

This should solve your problems.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. Restless28

Restless28

2011 SE. Bought new with less than 50 miles.

We regularly clean our windows too.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

M&P, why do you always assume that other posters don't know what they're talking about? Restless is probably as capable as anyone to evaluate his automobile.

9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Issues with fogging on new cars is very common. Like, there's a thread on the same topic here in GNG at least a few times a year.

I'm not questioning the rest of his review, just the fogging issue.

10. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

I have a 2012 CRV EXL bought it in August , we have averaged 28+ MPG ever since we bought it. On a trip to GA we got 31+MPG on the road.
    On the fogging, you have to make sure it is not in the recycling cabin air mode, it needs air from the outside.
    We really enjoy the CRV. I'm 63 and don't drive it like I stole it either.

It's marketed for young families and active seniors...guess I'm an active senior

11. Restless28

Restless28

Wow! I'm amazed at that MPG.

I also left out that this car has a tiny fuel tank. By the time it was loaded with 4 people and luggage for a week to the Gulf, the little Honda struggled as compared to the Tahoe on the same trip.

12. mymini40

mymini40

13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Couple questions - what engine do you have in the CRV, and how much horsepower? And what for the Tahoe?

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

That MPG issue is one I've read before.

The smaller engines have to work so hard to move the load, they actually get worse mileage than a larger vehicle with a more powerful motor.

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

We (wife & I) almost bought a CRV back in 2010 - got an AWD fully loaded V6 Santa Fe for less $ than a 2wd CRV with a 4 banger. It was still close - I liked the CRV - wife liked the Santa Fe - it was her daily driver so she had final say.

But we still liked the CRV and figured we would get one next time -

The body style of new CRV looks cartoonish - we hate it - Honda must be running out of engineering advancements so they are trying to make up for it in style. Same thing with the New TL - and even the Civic went for stupid with the digital speedo.

I always liked Honda - hope they get back to excellence in engineering VS - let's make this thing look like it is from the future styling so I can put them back on my short list.

BTW - we have a 4x4 Tahoe as our highway cruiser - I normally get 19 MPG on the way to our destination - more like 16 on the way home. One time I averaged 19.9 MPG -

If my choice was 19 MPG in the Tahoe VS 30 MPG in a CRV on a 2,000+ mile road trip - I would take the Tahoe every time.

16. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

yea, who wants a car with such a high resale value when you can have a GM or Chrysler that loses almost half it's value when you drive it off the lot

17. Restless28

Restless28

CRV: 2.4 L DOHC 16 Valve
    185 hp @ 7000 rpm
    163 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm

Tahoe: 5.3 V8
    285 hp @ 5,200RPM
    325 lb-ft. @ 4,000@RPM

18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Nope, it's gotta be Restless's fault, maybe something he ate.:rofl:

Seriously, thanks for the review; this CRV remains high on my short list.

I am curious about actual, real-world mileage.

I tend to get towards the lower end of the EPA estimates in whatever I drive (my old Honda Prelude averaged only 19mpg in the city, and yes, I did drive it like I stole it because I did).

Hunting for gears worries me, as would inadequate acceleration, but I've observed other CRVs seem to scoot along OK in fast traffic. Maybe those drivers also have lead feet?

Have you tried to fit a full sized grown-up bicycle inside the back, with the seat down? Or a large box, or sofa? I'm only asking because sometimes it's hard to translate objective dimensions into real-world utility. Just like the size and power of your Tahoe somewhat spoiled you, moving down from a pickup truck might be a rough adjustment for me.

The Hyundais & Kias with 6 speed transmissions and 10 year warrantees continue to tempt me.

19. Restless28

Restless28

Have not tried a bike. It would probably work. Negative on the sofa.

We use the Tahoe as our "truck". I have hauled 3 bikes in it, delivered a twin sized daybed, hauled dozens of bags of mulch, etc, etc.

The CRV does ok in traffic, but on hilly terrain, you have to stay in it, especially when loaded. The rear wheels actually looked buckled in on the Gulf trip. I actually told my wife on the return trip that the Tahoe was better for these trips, despite its high mileage.

As far as the MPG, when I drive it, I work to stay in the "green" meter on the dash to conserve, and I still only manage mid 20s at best. It has an ECO button that reduces power and acceleration. I hate the ECO mode. It neuters the car. The engine makes its power at high RPM.

20. dpadams6

dpadams6

Just bought a 2012 about 6months ago and could not be happier. City average about 24 and highway about 30.