close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2010 Census Questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tarpleyg, Jan 12, 2010.

1. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I was wondering if anyone could provide a link to a reliable source (excluding the Constitution) that indicates what the minimum amount of information one is legally obliged to divulge during a census. I have seen references that state that one only has to provide the number of people living at a residence but I have not found anything concrete.

Greg

2. varmint6

varmint6

3. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

OK, funny, and that's what I would love to do and all but what's the real answer?

Greg

4. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

5. rboatright

rboatright

Look, rationally, the minimum they NEED to know is the AGE of each person in the household so that during the next ten years they can estmate the number of VOTERS that live there.

Name seems a reasonable thing to go with age, since it allows de-duplication of individuals like teens with divorced parents who might be counted at two addresses by mistake.

in regard to the results of refusal, there HAVE been prosecutions.

as of Census $2000 the fine for refusal to respond was $100 and to refuse to answer a census takers questions in person $500.

There have been prosecutions and there have been appeals and a FEW reversals. Most of those I find are based on 5th amendment issues.

see for example: http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/461/461.F2d.1148.71-2580.html (from the 1970 census)

for a case from 1960 census where the appeal failed http://openjurist.org/309/f2d/462/united-states-v-f-rickenbacker

Recent quotes from census officials indicate that they have no particular interest in pursuing prosecutions for failure to answer, especially in the case of incomplete forms, but the possibility exists.

6. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Thanks for the links rboatright ... the 5th is an intersting argument.

7. brboyer

brboyer

You doubt the reliability of the Constitution?

8. Ragnar

Ragnar

Well, I got my census form last night and gave them what they needed - number of people living here. They got no name, no phone number and my race is American.

If they really want to push it, I'm willing to let them send over some kind of regional supervisor just so I can waste their time. They don't *need* your name. They're the government, they have access to public records just like any other agency.

How do I know that? When I put no name on my 2000 census form, the lady who showed up a month later to ask questions knocked on my door and asked to see Mr Ragnar. And I kindly pointed out that since she already knew my name why do you need me to put it on the form? She had no answer except that it was required. Whatever.

Of course, with Obama in charge, I might get some additional flack this year.

9. Fungunner

Fungunner

Having viewed the various Census data at the National Archives, to research my family history, I found nothing out of the ordinary asked by the census form, with the exception of being asked if I was Hispanic. Of course, back pre-civil war, the question was in regards to Slave ownership.

There is the another form, with more intrusive questions, which is supposed to be sent out to selected homes later on. Anxiously waiting to see if I lost that lottery.

10. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Declaration To Make To Census Takers:

"I hereby affirm that the provisions of Title 13 ....requiring me to disclose my race, personal financial data, birth date, or any other personal, private information to the Bureau of the Census, an agency of the United States government, constitutes an unreasonable, unwarranted search of my person, house, papers, and/or effects, and a governmental invasion of the sanctity of my home and the privacies of life. As such, these provisions violate the Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution, and are thus wholly void and I am not bound to obey them.

I have completed the only those sections of the Census form pertaining to the Constitutionally-mandated actual enumeration, as follows:

1. The actual number of people living at the address printed on the form, excluding untaxed Native Americans;
    2. Age of each person in accordance with US Const. Amendment XIV, Section 2;
    3. Sex of each person, in accordance with US Const. Amendment XIV, Section 2.

I have thus fulfilled my obligation to the attainment of the actual enumeration of the populace of the United States.

Any fine or other sanction that is levied by any office or organization stemming from the unconstitutional provisions of Title 13 in connection with my response to this or any other Census-related questioning will be challenged in a court of law."

11. johnd

johnd

Im in 2 minds over it..on one side I love to FCK with them as Im a naturalized American, born in South Africa, blonde hair, white skin, green eyes etc...an original African American as they want to label me. My kids were born here so are native Americans.
    On the other side Im a LEO and can legally cite the various laws that secure my ID/personal information etc and that of my whole family too. As the cenus takers arent sworn LEOs themselves, I have no obligation to tell them anything other than "that information is secured and you cannot have it"
    On another side, no one will be home on 1 April so, if one answers "0" then its a bit like a tree falling in the forest...if no one is home, who gets counted and what information can they gather on no one there?

12. BobbyT

BobbyT

For those living in:

Free states: fill out age and that's it. No use giving the race-baiting government preferences crowd any ammo.

Urban failures: trash the thing. They're losing population and making up for it in illegal aliens and vote fraud. The sooner they lose reps the better.

13. PSUEng

PSUEng

I don’t understand why this is such an issue for so many people. The FBI/CIA/NSA know everything about anyone they want to. Property records are public knowledge. Your current finances—debt, credit rating, etc. are public knowledge. How many people live at your address is on file at—you guessed it—the post office. Under the damnable Patriot Act (Thanks G.W.), an FBI sleeze can show up at your house with a hand written warrant and demand you give them information or you go to jail with no legal recourse.
    Not filling out the damn census and risking fines and more head ache is not going to make your life more private to the government, or keep them from knowing how many guns you have. They know everything.

14. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

just the total persons living in the house.

15. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

You are right, you don't understand.

16. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

OK, I filled it out this morning. I answered the following questions and left everything else blank.

*****from the next pages for additional persons*****

I answered the same questions above plus the following;

My decision was based a great deal on the census forms I have seen in the past while researching my family history. These questions were asked then and I figured I would answer the same ones now and no more.

I guess we'll find out if someone shows up at our house.

I do not doubt the reliability of the Constitution but the hiccup is this little, often forgotten, bolded clause that can really ruin your day:

17. PSUEng

PSUEng

Care to help me understand? Seriously. While I am staunch believer in privacy, the truth is, today we have none. I can't understand how not filling this out is preventing the gov from finding that info they ask for anyway.