200gr xtp A#9 load data.

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by orangeride, Jun 2, 2020.

1. orangeride

orangeride

I’m seeing that accurate is showing 12.5grs max and Hornady has printed data showing 13.2gr max. Is the Hornady load safe in a stock g20?

2. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

It's should be safe in a G20. But please, please, please start light and work your way up. If no signs of pressure, increase the load to the max, but again, start light. There are so many variables to pressure; powder is just one of them. I switched die manufacturer's a few years ago and went from 12.9 to 11.5 grains of #9 with the same chronographed results. And I learned the hard way, the 12.9 grains split cases with the new dies. (I think the sizing die is a few thousands smaller on the new dies.) Glad that's all that happened. I've noticed differences in pressure (measured velocity) between nickel plated brass and regular brass - all other things being equal. Getting a 200gr. XTP past 1200 fps in a stock Glock20 barrel will require max loads and careful loading. Baby steps.

Glolt20-91 and jmaj like this.

3. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

In my experience, Blue Dot, AA #7 and Longshot gave better results using less powder. AA #9 is a good powder for magnums and it can be used for the 10mm, however, I also experienced case separation during workups with the stock Glock barrel. I no longer use factory Glock barrels in 10mm and have had no brass issues, including bulged brass.

As Mountain 10mm posted, work up your loads carefully. :)

CanyonMan likes this.
  4. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

I think I've tried just about every suitable powder in the 10mm including all the ones mentioned above (I have 200 different powders on hand) and VV N105 is my top pick for 10mm. I don't know if you will ever get the 200gr XTP over 1200 in that 4.6" barrel without really exceeding SAAMI pressure limits. With 10.0gr of N105, I was getting 1214fps from my 6" Witness.

5. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

The Hornady max load for No. 9 and the 200 XTP is fine in my stock G20 barrel. Zero indications of excessive pressure. A touch over 1200 fps over my chronie. 13.0 gr is also one of the most accurate combos I've encountered in the G20, and I've loaded 13 different types of powder into 10mm cases.

I've tried all of the usual go-fast powders in 10mm (except the VVs), and No. 9 has emerged as my undisputed favorite for max effort ammo. I might have to try N105 one of these days.

No powder has attained the similar velicities without going over book substantially (although many around here get high velocities by pushing LS and 800-X way past book). As mentioned above, its only demerit is that is less efficient than some others. You can't load No. 9 too far over book, if at all. It runs out of room!

Yes, please do your own careful workups.

The Hornady manual does have one load that seems way too hot. The 180 over 800-X. Wicked pressure symptoms in that and well beyond Hodgdon maxes.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Kwesi likes this.
  6. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Good advice on the workups!

Vertical splits? More likely an annealing issue. Even Starline sneaks in a poorly annealed case where splits occur on the first or second load. As we know, horizontal splits or smiles are a different story!

Interesting, however, that 1.4 gr difference gave identical chrony numbers, if all else was equal. Seems like something else was going on.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Mountain10mm likes this.
  7. K31Scout

K31Scout

My Gen4 Glock 20 OEM barrel shoots the 200gr XTP to 1175fps with 13grs of AA#9. The cases measure .433 but no bulges or smiles.

Same load in my 6" KKM are at 1262 fps. Cases measure .429 due to the tighter chamber.

I have not tested 13.2grs because I'm over 700ft/lbs at 13grs. and everything functions fine with the stock spring.

I've also tried other powders and AA#9 is all I use in 10mm now.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Taterhead and MinervaDoe like this.
  8. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

This is why I like No. 9. True Norma spec load coming in below book max. Yes, 1175 is a hair shy of 1200, but through a 5" barrel and it's right there.

I've never been able to get enough No. 9 into a 10mm case to have pressure symptoms become evident. Forgiving. It gives very consistent velocities and groups on paper with all of the XTPs. Fewer charges per pound than Longshot or Blue Dot, but about the ONLY demerit I can think of.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  9. K31Scout

K31Scout

I ran my chrono tests in March. It’s in the 90’s now and I really need to chrono them again to see how #9 behaves.