close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2009 Taxes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mrmatt, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mrmatt

mrmatt

Just got done doing my 2009 taxes. I'm getting considerably less back then I did in 07 & 08. Financially nothing changed much for me in 09. Feels bad!

2. marlinfan

marlinfan

Tax rates didn't change. Are you sure you didn't miss a deduction or change your withholdings? Going through the 1040 line by line from the last 2 years shouldn't take too long to figure out where the difference is. :)

3. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I seem to remember that with-holding rates changed - sometime last spring. It was done make us feel like we were getting a tax cut. But, of course, there was no tax.

The idea was that you'd get more each payday and less refund next spring - (now)...

Am I imagining things again...?

4. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

Is your AGI, Taxable income, deductions and tax payments the same as last year? Just compare to last year.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

We are getting MUCH less with MANY more deductable stuff this year.

Sucks.

I was expecting over $10,000.00 based on the last two year's returns, but nope. Freakin' sucks!

6. viniglock

viniglock

I like you avatar!:whistling:

Anyway, there are several free services that can revise the return. Did I said for free?:wavey:

7. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Nope. You aren't imagining anything. The gubmint decided to withhold less regardless of what you wanted.

There's gonna be a whole bunch of people that are going to have to write a check instead of getting a refund like normal.

I compared my 2009 w-2 to my 2008 w-2. The 2009 w-2 shows $2,000.00 less withheld than 2008.

8. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

3.5K more in taxes this year, no changes in anything. I guess that will be 3500 I won't be spending at a democrap's place of business.

9. timetrial-pro

timetrial-pro

I have to pay every year for the last 10 odd years, That sucks...

10. MedicOni

MedicOni

I actually got more back. But it's my first year not being claimed as a dependant. That and school is awesome :D

11. AAshooter

AAshooter

The change in withholding came with a Making Work Pay credit for most working folks. The credit is $400 for most people and $800 per couple. Ideally the lower withholding will be offset by the credit.

For most people it should not be to bad; however, if you have multiple jobs, the withholdings were probably lower from all employers but you only get one credit. This can be problematic.

For those on SSN and not working, they should have received an additional $250 payment around April last year.

Here is more information on this:
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204447,00.html

12. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Obama wants that $13 a week back.

13. silentpoet

silentpoet

Hope and change is expensive.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Only for other people's money

15. Mikey444

Mikey444 sacré bleu!

I should be getting a decent return as I payed more out for school this year. Of course, anything I get will just go right back to paying for school.

16. captainstormy

captainstormy

I always set up my withholdings so that aside from a huge deduction (like buying a house, which I plan to do this summer) I only get back a minimal return. I don't like the idea of giving the government an interest free loan during the year.

Last year I got around $550 back between state and federal. This year I'm getting about $230 between the two.

Mainly for me its because of their change in withholdings. Also, my student loan intrest rate dropped to something stupid low like 3%. In 08 I paid over 2K in student loan interest on it, in 09 I paid less then $700 in student loan interest.

Not that I'm complaining about that. I pay the same amount so it will just finish the loan faster. Just a reduction in my deduction is all.

17. PSUEng

PSUEng

I do the same. I don't like giving the gov an interest free loan. Plus, at least at the state level, with a lot of states in the red, you may not even get it back.

18. rj1939

rj1939

I figured we would see less return, since the Zero "gave" us that thirteen dollars a week.

What troubled me more was all the interest they are showing about your IRA accounts, way too many questions about them. If there was any doubt about their intentions of going after them before, there isn't now IMHO.

19. rahrah12

rahrah12

I actually got a little more back this year...surprised me because I thought it would be less due to that extra $400 we got(13$ a week or whatever...)

20. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Not doing my taxes until the beginning of March, but I expect to get a good amount back this year. Things that will help this year; Had a baby, bought a new car, and our rental house didn't do as good as the previous year.

The only drawback is we didn't spend a lot on either of our rental properties, so less deductions because of expenses this year, but not by much.