2004 Nissan Frontier 6 cylinder starting problem

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TechPyle, Sep 12, 2015.

1. TechPyle

TechPyle

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier. Last February I had to change the starter out. Last Wednesday I noticed that it was slow to start. Thursday morning it was even slower. I took it by O'rielly's auto parts and had them check the battery and the alternator. Both checked out but when I tried to start the truck at the store it barely crunk and I heard it grind just a little. The person at the store said it might be a bad starter but it would be under warranty. So I got it home and pulled the starter off. Took it to the store and they tested it and said the starter was perfect. I took it back home and reinstalled it and now it cranks fine. I tried shutting it down and restarting it several times with no problems. When I took it off all of the connections were tight. Any idea what could cause the problem or should I just drive it until it breaks and then try to diagnose?
    Thanks for any help.

2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Battery cable/s,replace both.The 2nd thing that comes to mind is at the first install a ground cable was loose.'08. jmtcs

3. TechPyle

TechPyle

Follow up. After getting it working Saturday night I let it sit till about 1 today. I tried it an it crunk up fine. Shut it down and crunk it again. On about the fourth recrank I noticed it start to act up again and take longer to start. I let the truck run for a few minutes shut it down and then it refused to start. I could hear it throwing the gear out but it would not turn the engine over. So I pulled the starter again and this time the auto parts store replaced it. After reinstalling the starter it crunk without a problem. Tried it several times, drove the truck and tried it and it still works. I am going to cross my fingers and hope that the new starter fixes the problem.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Glad it did "crunk" for you.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  5. TK-421

TK-421

Might be a loose connection or bad cell in the battery. Most tool places you take it to, o'reilly's, autozone, etc, don't use a method of testing that can detect a bad cell. My battery dropped a cell, and it wouldn't start my car. Charged it for a while, it still wouldn't start.

Took it to Autozone, they tested it, tested fine, told them it wouldn't start the car, they charged it, still wouldn't start it. Took it to O'Reilly's since Autozone wouldn't do anything because it tested fine, O'Reilly's told me it was probably a bad cell and the tester Autozone used wouldn't detect a bad cell and say the battery was fine even when it wasn't, so I took it back to Autozone where I had a warranty and they reluctantly gave me a new one.

6. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Unfortunately some of the starter rebuilders do a really poor job, only replacing defective parts, and ignore the rest of the starter. I replaced several starters in my small block chevy from a supply house. Finally, I just took it to a Chevrolet dealer and had them rebuild the starter with GM/Delco parts. No more problems. This was 25 years ago by the way!

7. TechPyle

TechPyle

I hate any electrical problems on a vehicles. Even if you fix it you are never really sure and I hate being left stranded. Battery is new purchased last February. I hope that I don't have any more problems.

8. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

It needs some of this:

[​IMG]

Seriously it does sound like contacts in the starter. My wife's car would do that except it wouldn't even budge the starter. It was very intermittant. I replaced the starter and so far no more issues.

The contacts for her car would be about $10 but considering how aggravating that thing is to get to, I just went ahead and replaced the whole thing.

9. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

10 to 15 yr old cars will, in many cases, develop corrosion in the harness. I would trace all the ground wires, and clean the contact points on everything to do with your starter circuit. You might also try changing the starter relay. They usually just quit, but I have seen them where the relay is not engaging all the way, so the amperage to the starter is reduced, and the motor turns over slow.

10. TechPyle

TechPyle

I need some of that just about every morning. I cleaned all of the contacts I could get to. No problems with it today.