close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2003 Buffalo Hunt!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Michigun, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I was one of a few lucky enough to be able to add some more fresh meat to the freezer…

I got the chance to do a “once in a lifetime” buffalo hunt yesterday. It was a great time & I’m very happy I had the chance.

I was the 1st person out of about 30 to use a shotgun against this 1,000+ pounder. I used a Beretta 390 12 gauge with a 3x9x40mm Leupold mounted on a “fully rifled”/cantilever Hastings aftermarket barrel. Ammo was Federal’s 3” mag 1 ounce Barns Expander Sabot. Distance was a little over 50 yards.

The 1st shot dropped the buffalo in its tracks. To speed things up a bit I was instructed to use my G19. 2 rounds behind the right ear did the trick. It was a very humane kill.

Thought I’d share with some fellow hunters!

WARNING: Although the picture has been edited to be more “PC”, please don’t look if large, dead animals irritate you in some way or another.

2. tjpet

tjpet

Was this a fair chase or canned hunt?

What did it set you back?

Was your use of a shotgun mandatory or personal taste?

There's a wild herd out here but it's almost impossible to get a permit.

3. TriggerTripper

TriggerTripper

Nice! are you going to mount the head? Sure would be expensive, but for a once in a life time hunt it would be a worthy mount for any trophy room.:)

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Michigun,

I know you will sure enjoy the meat...!
    On the ranch I cowboyed on in Oklahoma, the ranch bordering us would shoot one of their buffs, once a year, and have a feed for the whole town... Very small blink and miss town, and there was always plenty of meat to go around, grilled out on huge pit grils.

Excellent meat!
    There aren't many Buffalo left, as i am sure you know. But in our part of the country, N.W. Oklahoma, there are still plenty on private ranch country, and they are used to breed with herfords, the product is called, "Beefalo," (no joke), and is quite expensive, and rather rare these days.

When herds, (pure baffalo), are large enough to cull one out every year or so, this is a good idea. I'm just thankful we still have a substantial number to do so.... But, unfortunatly, we will never see them in the number we once had in the past..... The west is still wild where i am from, and, where i am at now.

But, the "Glory of it," is mostly lost. Well, just thought i'd throw that in... :)

Enjoy the steaks!

CanyonMan

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

tjpet, a little of both… It was a 300-acre ranch with little cover. It was pretty hard to get close enough to choose one & the shotgun made it a little more interesting too.

If I told you what it set me back you’d crap… yup, you’d crap to know how little I paid! Cheaper then beef, about ½ the cost to be a little more specific.

My use of a shotgun was a personal choice.

TriggerTripper, nope, I’m not mounting the head. I’m giving the 2 horns to my father & he’s going to make them into a set of powder horns for me to go along with the flintlocks. I’d actually prefer that then a shoulder mount.

Because a shotgun whoops just about everything at the ranges I was looking at. With all the rifles out there in the past, 95% of them required several shots to bring this type of large game down. A 1-ounce HP’ed .50 cal. slug traveling at over 1,700 fps was made for this type of hunting!

CanyonMan, I’ve already had some Buffalo chili & it was indeed very good!

By the way, my main reason for going on this hunt was to get some fresh, untainted meat in the freezer. You can keep your store-bought beef… If I hadn’t shot it, someone else would’ve in my place. It’s how it’s done.

7. noway

noway

Canonyonman that beefalo is funny. It was breed by accident and was use to help make the bovine a more durable animal. Supposely they can endure the outside elements more better than a typical regular steer ( longhorns,hereford,angus,etc...)

In central Tx you will see a few ranchers with Beefalo stock but it hasn't caught on that much. (Kinda took the same path as the ostrich ranch "more of an experiment" vrs livestock for food substance ) I myself like seeing herds of Angus grazing in a nice green field when driving to my parents house. That's so far is the best meat that you can get and you pay alot for it.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

Hey guy, how you doin.

You are 100% correct. The beefalo, and the buffalo, are both tuff as nails 'in the elements'. Also, as you said, the idea of the beefalo has not really been a "best seller," in Oklahoma, or Texas, probably never will be.

I'm with you... The Angus is at the top of my taste bud list! :)

Take care Hoss!

CanyonMan

9. noway

noway

agreed, if I want a cross breed bovine it would be a;

brangus = Brahaman & Angus
    beefmaster = Brahaman,Hereford,& Short Horn

of just a plain jane Hereford. They all make great beef cattle. Just don't give me any cuts of meat from any aged Longhorn.

Nasty, yuck and not to tender.The Bison & Bovine combination is nowhere as high as the typical Black Angus.

10. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Lucky man.

I like your choice of long arms.

Why not a magnum shotgun slug for a close 50 yard shot?

Good going.

Not many hunters get that shot!

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

My shotgun set-up has taken more then a few MI whitetails at 100+ yards. I know it’s not the longest shotgun record out there, but I took a deer a few years ago at (laser range finder) 164 yards. I knew the distances would be a 100 yards max. I also knew nobody had used a shotgun as of yet & figured it do better then some of the rifle choices I had heard about.

12. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

well you sure had enough ammo with you ;f

i think a SG is a great choice. relatively inexpensive and more than capable of doing the job.

if you wouldn't mind posting the info, i'd like to give them a call. was it hard to get in? is it a resident only hunt or can out-of-staters play too?

13. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Sorry mpol777, this was a once & a lifetime opportunity. It was a case of not what you know, but who you know. It was by invitation only & I’m not sure how I got so lucky as to get one! ;) My buffalo was one of the very last ones taken in “thinning the heard”.

14. Tom from Sauk

Tom from Sauk

Just don't do it! Once you taste the burger from buffalo, you won't go back to beef. I could live on just buffalo burger alone. It's fantastic.
    Nice shooting! It's truly awesome when after one shot, those big animals just drop like rocks. Way to go.