close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2002 Elk season

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lomfs24, Apr 20, 2003.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

This seems like the place to brag a little. Here is a picture of the results of my 2002 elk hunt. This bull was taken in near central Montana. The pict was taken after dark the night we got home so it is a little dark. I tried to lighten it a little.
    He scored 331. He was a little light in the scoring due to the fact that his seconds and thirds were a little short. Looks great in a european mount on my wall though.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

AWESOME!!

i am quite jealous. i've been putting in for an elk tag here in AZ for the past few years and still haven't gotten drawn. i've got a lot of points saved up so hopefully this will be the year.

if i can bag one that size i'll be more than happy. of course that means buying another freezer, but i won't mind.

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

My wife wants us to move to AZ because her sister lives in Prescott Valley. I took one look at the elk hunting situation in AZ and said "No Way". You have to be drawn no matter what. That is if I read the reg's right.
    Here in Montana you just go down to Wal-Mart, step up to the counter and say, "I would like to buy and elk tag." And the next thing you know you are elk hunting. The picture of the elk in the post was taken on public ground, in general season with a general license. I am not saying this happens to me every year but it did last year.
    If you live in AZ you may be farther ahead to find a state with good elk hunting laws and apply for an non-resident license. I have known many of my friends who have gotten Montana non-res tags.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

yep, and you also have to submit for the lottery for deer, bear and even javalina. shocked the hell out of me when i first got here.

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

You know, I always ***** about states that have lottery style drawings because you can't just go out and hunt. But you know, those are the same states that have some record animals taken out of them because there are not soo many killed each year by general hunters like myself. Maybe it's not all bad. I just like to be able to go hunting every year and not have to depend on the lottery.
    Montana just started the whole point thing this year for drawings on special permits. I have heard that they really have been doing if for years now this year you have to pay an additional $2.00 for them to hold those points to the next year. What a crock.

6. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

That a nice you took in 2002.
    Congradulations.
    The one I took in Colorado last year was a 4X5.
    I woukd post a picture of mine if I knew how.

Nice elk congrads again
    AL

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Grizzley,
    First of all, thanks. I was feeling pretty good to even get an elk this year. It was kind of a rough year for everyone. Not many people got an elk up here this year.
    Second, I think that any elk is a trophy. May not be worth taking to a taxidermist, but in my own mind it is a trophy.
    Third, as far as posting your pict here; I am assuming you have a digital picture already. If not you will have to scan one. Next at the bottom of the page when you are posting there are four check boxes and then a box that says Attach file. Next to that is a button that says Browse. Click that button and navigate to the picture on your computer (ie... C:\My Documents\My Pictures\my elk pics\02hunt\elk.jpg) Then click the submit button. It's that simple.

8. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

Since you explained how to post a picture here goes Hope this works

AL

9. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

Thanks
    lomfs 24

The post worked and I was surprised how easy it was.
    That 4X5 was taken with a .454 Freedom Arms Revolver at a paced off range of approximately 120 yards on the first day of Colorado's Third Season.

As I said no trophy but a nice bull.

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

Jesus Grizzly,
    Why are you shooting babies. LOL Just kidding. Like I said any elk taken in a trophy in my book. He may not be a monster but Geez, you took him with a handgun. You should be as proud of that as if you had taken him with a bow and arrow.
    Way to go. You should definately not be ashamed of that.
    Here is another pic of the same elk that I got this year. Only this pic has a antler from an elk that I got a couple years ago laid inside the main beam of this one just for comparision. I thought the other one was a pretty good elk.

11. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

That other must have been a monster. It would be nice to see a picture of that fellow.

The baby that I took was one of the best looking I have ever shoot as far as coloring goes. Here is a better shot of his markings in the garage after the rear quarters where removed.

The best thing I have found about elk hunting is the challenge, the bs at the camp, and the making of new friends on every hunt. It doesnot matter whether you get a shot or not it great to be in the outdoor enjoying nature. I took my daughter and she been elk hunting four times never got a shot at an elk but ready to go again this year. She hasn't went away empty handed though she got a 4X4 Muledeer last year.

12. lomfs24

lomfs24

Grizzly
    That is a nice colored bull. He looks like he was a healthy bull. Where I shot mine we had to quarter him to get him out. So I don't have any full body pictures of him. Here is a pic of the final product. I had a friend help me with the european mounting. Someday I may buy a cow cape and do a full mount but for right now it looks great.

13. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

LOMFS24:
    That is a great looking mount.

The baby bull was one of the first I have been lucky enough to be able to get out without quartering. Because of the about 30 inches of snow three of us were able to get the elk out to our 4X4 ATVs, and with the help of the ATVs able to get to the pickup.

For the last 25 plus years, I have been doing 95 percent of my hunting with handguns. For the lighter game it either a .41 Mag or .44 Mag S&W, for elk size and larger game I move up to the .454 or .475 caliber pistols. I also carry a rifle on most occassions for taking the longer shots if I see what appears to be trophy/or near trophy animal, for Mule deer and smaller game I carry a .7mm Weatherby and for the heavies either a .375 H&H or a .416 Rigby.

Again that a very nice looking mount

AL

14. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Where should you apply to have the best chance of taking a record book bull elk? Over the past 20 years, Arizona has been the place to go for record book elk. From 1980 to 1999, Arizona produced 93 record book elk. The next closest state is Wyoming with 19! (page 263).
    http://www.trophyelkbook.com

15. lomfs24

lomfs24

That's what I meant to say Texas T

16. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

Beautiful animals all, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Cow elk. Eastern Oregon. Archery. Can't really compare this to the nice bulls posted in this thread, but it was harvested in 2002, so I'm adding it to the collection. Did pass up a few small bulls before harvesting this cow as I didn't draw a branch bull tag last year so could only take a spike or cow. Harvested with a Martin Lynx bow, Easton XX75 2315 arrows topped with Cabelas 125gr Lazer Pro mag broadheads. The elk was sharply quartered away from me on the shot. The arrow was pulled partially out by a tree or brush as the elk ran off, the broadhead and about two inches of shaft are broken off in the far front shoulder.

SG

17. lomfs24

lomfs24

Goose I have always said that any elk taken with a bow in a trophy. I have never done it yet. I get in close to elk every year but I have not managed to stick one with an arrow yet.

Congrats, any elk with bow is a trophy.