close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2002 CTD Lift Pump?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Jan 24, 2012.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My '02 CTD just started running out of poop above 2K RPM. Starts, idles and cruises just fine, but there's a definite power drop off at the top of each gear...especially when towing / hauling. Lift pump? If so, how hard is it to change? I understand that I've got to get right on this so the injection pump doesn't go. Thanks, HH

2. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Have you posed your question on any of the CTD forums?

3. slhfarm

slhfarm Wheeee!!!!!?! CLM

We are talking about a Dodge Cummins? Just remembering from what my brother did to his. The lift pump is an inline electric pump mounted on the engine. He installed an after market pump and relocated it to the frame rail closer to the fuel tank. Also installed a pressure gauge to keep an eye on it.

You probably need to look at the Turbo Diesel Register forums for the best info. Have to sign up to view though.
    A quick search for 2002 lift pump turns up a lot of kits for pump replacement. Also got this thread at dieseltruckresource.com. :wavey:

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

No, that's where I ask my gun questions. :rofl: HH

5. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Lift pump on my '99 takes about two hours. Pretty straight forward but a little hard to get to. I bought my pumps from Cummins for about $150. Make sure to buy new Banjo washers as well.

6. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I have a FASS on mine, you will want it if you do any upgrades like tranny or programmers to up your HP.

7. g29andy

g29andy CLM

clean fuel filter?

8. sr975j

sr975j

start with a fuel filter change. how many miles does your truck have? is the original pump still on the truck?

being an 02, i would assume you are well over 100k. it is common for those pumps to go out between 150k and 200k. you will probably need a new lift pump.

i say go big or go home. buy a p-pump off of a 12valve, stud it, injectors, get a fass or airdog, and twin turbo it but thats just my opinion :supergrin:

Sam

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I'm going to bring it to a Cummins shop since I've been told that if you change the filter and the lift pump is indeed the problem, you'll lose prime and will need to be towed in. HH

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

most likely your lift pump is completely gone, and your injection pump is dieing,

There is a chance its just a clogged fuel line or bad fuel, but i highly doubt it,

Your looking at about 500-600 for the lift pump and 1500-2000 for injection pump,

there is also a chance your injectors are shot

11. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

If your lift pump finally junks out, it will likely take the injector pump with it as the injector relies of the prime of the lift pump for lubrication... The factory lift pump design is faulty this is no secret, these pumps going bad is of utmost regularity... It's a good idea to upgrade with a unit like an AirDog or equivilant, very much especially if your engine is chipped... The upgraded units are more expensive as any quality upgrade concerning anything will typically cost more but you get much better filtration, easier filter changes, a more reliable fuel delivery and just consider this route a requirement if you have a programmed chip of any size under the minimum offerings...

Do some research for yourself, and you'll find a wealth of info concerning this problem and all the common steps to take to remedy it...

This is of course assuming that your pump is the problem here --- assuming...

12. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Check your ground straps and battery connections. Seriously..........
    My neighbor had almost the same problem. He to it to the dealer and they replaced a Injector pump, (2) lift pumps, had a few sensors replaced still did the same thing, then someone convinced him the trans was going bad, so he had trans rebuilt . after a couple of 100 miles it would start again . However every time he would disconnect he battery, the symptoms would go away for a couple 100 miles. I recommended he take it to our truck mechanic. Guy had it 3 days and figured out it was losing the ground . A $. 10 flat washer corrected the problem.:faint: Start wit the simple stuff first......

13. 220-9er

220-9er

You need to have a fuel gauge to keep an eye on the pressure because you will kill the VP44 injection pump before you notice the fuel pressure is getting low.
    Put a FASS pump (not the stock pump) on and a fuel pressure gauge first. Drive it under a load and it shouldn't go below 5psi. The new pump will probably run closer to 15 psi or so.
    Next read the codes and you will probably need a VP44. I put on the upgraded one from Blue Chip Diesel which gives about 1.5 MPG better and has about 20 HP more.

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/

I didn't want or need a lot more HP because the transmission is the next weak point and it works fine with the HP I have. Chip will loan the tool to remove the gear pulley if you buy from him and give you a lot of helpful advice too.

14. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Every diesel engine should have three gauges: fuel pressure between lift pump and injection pump, boost, and EGT. These three gauges are pretty much a complete diagnostics suite.

Whatever the problem turns out to be, I recommend these three gauges to all diesel owners.