Civil Liberties 200 chief powwow in Washington to help take policing to an even higher standard

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Burgers Allday, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Burgers Allday

Burgers Allday

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Out of all the 'good news' in the article, which, say 5, plans mentioned will result in the most improvement to policing?

Thanks.

3. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

it would be better news if the chiefs were not involved, many of them lost the ability to police decades ago and would fail if they held themselves to the standards they expect their officers to attain.
    I will listen to a Chief that can pass my agencies FTO program

4. Sgt127

Sgt127

Will training and guidelines be provided to potential recipients of police use of force?

I think that could effect a positive outcome for everyone.

Patchman and janice6 like this.
  5. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I'm predicting a new paradigm we will be asked to retreat and seek cover and basically hide from anyone that resists us

janice6 likes this.
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

The real problem with all this kow-towing to community standards is this:

The community applies its standards to what happened. That's what the mythical "reasonable man" considers. The conditions were this, this and this and the cop did that and he should/shouldn't have.

If you don't see the problem with that, here it is: it relies on hindsight to determine the conditions, and it treats those discoveries as truth that should be acted on. "Tamir Rice only had a toy, and the cops shouldn't shoot kids with toys" is an example of such thinking be reasonable people. Sometimes it goes further and discovers that the rookie who shot Tamir couldn't meet standards at his old department, and therefore...

When decision making is on trial, it has to be judged by a guy with that level of training in that place at that time. It doesn't matter what reality was. It matters what perception was. Based on what that officer knew at the time, based on the training and exposure he had, was the decision proper?

Tamir may be "awful but lawful". But it was a decision that has to be supported each and every time it gets made. And if the chiefs want to accept a different standard, then they're wrong, and a menace.

7. VPD4327

VPD4327

Of course cops need to be held to a higher standard...it's not like the rest of society isn't degenerating to a new low on a daily basis or acting like savages with a much greater frequency. No reason to expect your fellow man to follow well established law or act with any resemblance of civility. Nope, just make sure those cops can immediately show up and make everyone a winner in a situations that have decayed for years. I hope those chiefs learned how to apply for the new fairy dust federal grant program. Most if not ALL PD shootings involve officers being presented with lethal force (real or perceived) and responding in kind. No matter how the brass try to abstain themselves from the "liability" of (GASP) shooting someone...they can't change the fact that we are under ZERO obligation to meet lethal force with anything less. Here's a zinger from left field...99.9999% of police shootings can be prevented with...wait for it...wait for it...COMPLIANCE.

8. Burgers Allday

Burgers Allday

9. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

What could go wrong with all those accumulated years of Chiefdom to draw from?

Efficiency improvements would be a major theme I'm sure. A regular bus is very inefficient unless you have lots of officers to throw under the bus at the same time. Think of a short bus as a single use appliance, suitable for throwing an individual officer underneath the bus with no wasted space. Additionally, a short bus is much cheaper than a full sized bus, you can afford to have spares. No wonder chiefs are so fond of the short bus.

Randy

robotoid likes this.
  10. sos4364

sos4364

This op seriously has no life. His entertainment is coming here seeing what nonsense he can post. It's about time he gets what he has coming from the powers that be here

Most Chiefs of these major departments are political appointees noting more. They've been so far out of the loop for decades.......let's not even mention their agenda falls under those that appointed them to their positions not the actual department they represent. Law Enforcement Officers are not the ones that need new policies or major changes in way policing is done.

Certain groups of society need training in how to be a human being , be productive common sense, and accountability. Yes it that's simple.

Dukeboy01 and Sam Spade like this.
  11. sos4364

sos4364

Your prediction has already come to light in our new De-Escalate policy. I kid you not.

Cochese likes this.
  12. VPD4327

VPD4327

Jesus Christ dude...Did I say 100%? No-so it is actually you who are incorrect. I guess I'll meet you in the middle and go with 98% +-2%. If you can excuse my 1.9% error, I will overlook your attempt to play, "gotcha"-which is an exhausting waste of time. Try to look at the up side...98% +-2% of people ventilated by police...are deserved schmucks-those are pretty good odds don't you think? Although this video is not specific to shooting, it brushes on excessive force (bad shoots may be included). If you don't like those odds, I implore you to quit eating "burgers all day" and apply at your local public safety agency where you can do everything perfectly and teach cops how they can better do their jobs-you know, be a real grass roots hero as opposed to a keyboard commando.

That being said, I farted and it's horrific...so I must vacate the area and abandon the conversation for the remainder of the evening.

Bruce M, FiremanMike and Cochese like this.
  13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

14. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

The Fist Of Goodness likes this.
  15. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

If we stop responding to the Troll, maybe he will go away.

Cochese likes this.
  16. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

You're probably right. I wonder if he has an uncle named Dean... Son! :drillsgt:

FiremanMike likes this.
  17. Bruce M

Bruce M

My guess is you were probably closer the first time. I have to guess that there literally a million police contacts with citizens each day in the U.S. and that may be low. If we remember that for every deputy out there in a desolate rural area on the midnight shift there is a pair of guys on foot somewhere like Times Square who will have some level of contact with maybe a few thousand people a shift, if we can agree that looking at and watching someone for a second or three to determine potential criminality or threat, it adds up fast. And out of all those contacts there are a handful of criminal police shootings and another handful that a few may be able to stretch enough to cause some public doubt but usually end up being justified. I am not sure that we even get to the 2% if we only consider the total contact police shootings in a year and I am reasonably certain that if expand that to contacts, it is not even close.

18. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

19. oldman11

oldman11

Yep, the liberals are on board pushing their crap again.

20. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

The accumulated wisdom of 200 chiefs in such a confined space must glow bright like a black hole!

Randy

Dukeboy01 and FiremanMike like this.