GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

10mm Philosopher
Hump the 20-rounders ....

Just like the ol' Sarge warned our boys before they got shipped out to the Ia Drang over in the 'Nam.

photo.JPG

You want a reliable 30-rounder? ... Those feed AKs. :whistling:

Registered
Aside from the obvious prone, bench etc. is there any advantage to a 20 rd mag?
One has 50% more capacity than the other. That鈥檚 the only real difference.

For modern magazines, reliability issues and whatnot are more gun folklore.

Registered
I run 20, 30, 40 and 60 rounders. Most of my homies and I run 1 or 2 rounds down in the 30+ mags. Its because getting a 30+ full mag in on a closed bolt is a PITA. For whatever reason the 20s don't seem to have this issue nearly as much. Yes, I am smacking them in there, but still seems to happen at the worst possible time. Bang - drop.

Super Moderator
One disadvantage on certain mags (which is more often seen on older metal 20-rounders) is the rear edge of the feed lips not being welded to the rear edge of the magazine body. This makes the feed lip much easier to deform if dropped, as it is more likely to land on the rear edge vs the front edge, which is somewhat protected by the front edge of the mag body.

30s almost always have the feed lips welded/enclosed at the rear; older metal-bodied 20s often do not (some do, so this is not a hard-and-fast rule). See the picture of the 25-shot mag in post #16 of this thread to see what an un-welded, open rear feed lip looks like.

I do keep a few older metal 20-shot mags around, and few Magpul and Lancer 20s as well, as I find the shorter length much less "snaggy" inside a vehicle or in other tight quarters.

AAAMAD
I run 20, 30, 40 and 60 rounders. Most of my homies and I run 1 or 2 rounds down in the 30+ mags. Its because getting a 30+ full mag in on a closed bolt is a PITA. For whatever reason the 20s don't seem to have this issue nearly as much. Yes, I am smacking them in there, but still seems to happen at the worst possible time. Bang - drop.

Most of the women in our flight crews run 28 rounds for that reason as well.

Registered
Anybody see those silly curved aluminum 20-round mags that used to be sold by Bushmaster? I bought a few of those and they were jammamatics. Luckily I only bought three.

Also, what's with the curved plastic 20-rounders? Shouldn't these companies know by now that 20-round mags don't need to be curved in order to feed?

Anti-Federalist
Most of the women in our flight crews run 28 rounds for that reason as well.
I don't have any reason to have a weapon with an empty chamber. Maybe that's the difference.

Registered
I have all 30s except one 20 I bought on a whim because I tend to randomly snatch up mags any time I鈥檓 in or near stores that carry them. And it just happened to be on the shelf the one day at the one store.

I鈥檒l probably buy one or two more 20s. They鈥檒l likely be for when I buy just a box or two of 223 or 556 in a different weight and style from what I normally shoot to try out in a range session, see if I want to get more. That way I can fill a mag or two without leftovers. Also for bench shooting.

Registered
Also, what's with the curved plastic 20-rounders? Shouldn't these companies know by now that 20-round mags don't need to be curved in order to feed?
Magpul straight 20s were known to sometimes have feeding issues. Not sure if they鈥檙e still doing it, but they used to offer a free exchange if you had straight mags.

Registered
Anybody see those silly curved aluminum 20-round mags that used to be sold by Bushmaster? I bought a few of those and they were jammamatics. Luckily I only bought three.

You have to have a follower that tilts some with a straight mag. The case of a .223/5.56 round is tapered and stacking 20 of them still ads up. The D&H, Lancers and some other 20 rounders that are curved have anti tilt followers. Never had issues with any of them. That is one thing I don't care for about my straight GI 20 rounders I have, the follower that tilts a lot, nose dives the round and dings them up before chambering. The NHMTG/Okay have that piece of steel on the front that catches too.

Registered
As a grasshopper seeking knowledge, I for one have appreciated the topic and have added a couple 20's to the cart.

Never know whatcha might need.

Reactions: mj9mm

Registered
We were issued nothing but Colt 30 rd magazines the entire time I served as an agent. I participated in countless missions and we qualified every three months. We had to throw away a box of magazines every range detail, due to magazine-related failures. Often, rounds would foul on the follower causing spring coil bind or nose-dive into the front of the mag. All of us ran 28 rounds in our mags so we could press the cartridge stack down and check that all was well. Most of us disassembled, cleaned (mag and ammo), and reloaded our magazines after every range detail.

Twenty rounders were never that particular. The Colt SMG magazines are also spotty performers, often spewing the ammo everywhere without warning. Field use exposes the weaknesses of even the best weapons.
As stated in an earlier post, QUALITY 30rd mags are GTG. OEM Colt mags are garbage compared to modern P-Mags, Lancers, Okay Industry, or EPM鈥檚. Enhancements have been made to feed geometry, followers, and springs compared to what the Colt (GI) mags were back in the day. There is no need to download current 鈥渢echnology鈥 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrol Corporal
My department issues 20 round mags. I caught a lot of grief when I recommended them to staff. I found them to be more reliable than the 30s, the rifle with a 20 round mag fit better in the trunk mounted rifle racks, the 20s snagged less on the officers gear when slinging it, and the 20s were way better when holding the rifle over the top of a patrol car or cover.

When I went to patrol rifle school there was a drill where the shooter would run up to the firing line and quickly deploy to a prone position. Many 30 round mags got damaged or destroyed during this drill.
In one, the bottom of the mag got sheared off. It dumped the cartridges, spring, and follower on the ground in spectacular fashion.
In another, it jammed the mag hard into the mag well. After inspecting it the shooter fired the chambered round then it took a while to disassemble the rifle to clear it.
The guys from my department at that school didn鈥檛 gripe about the 20s so much after that.

Unless your rocking full-auto I don鈥檛 see a big advantage to the 30s to make it worth the drawbacks.

Patrol Corporal
I don't have any reason to have a weapon with an empty chamber. Maybe that's the difference.
It鈥檚 not good to keep the rifle stowed in the car rifle rack with a round chambered.

Anti-Federalist
It鈥檚 not good to keep the rifle stowed in the car rifle rack with a round chambered.
Maybe a SG that isn't drop rated. I can't think of any good reason for an AR not to be loaded but everyone has their own SOPs.

Reactions: billy_56081

Registered
Speaking of Colt brand mags, it's been 3-years since I bought a brand new Colt AR (that one came with P Mag), but I've seen a lot for sales lately at a couple of local gun shops of Colt brand/Colt package aluminum 30-rounders that have that grey dry film finish and the old style sky blue followers.

I don't know if Colt decided to go back to their own brand instead of including P Mag with their new AR15s or they're just selling these aluminum mags on the side.

However, as far as GI-style mags in either 20 or 30 rounds configuration, I'm sticking with the Okay/Surefire brand. If I can't find those, I'll go to D&H, but I won't bother with ASC and C Product mags based on past experiences.

I have no idea who's making the current US Army aluminum mags with the tan followers. They have no markings at the base plates.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts