GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Previously 89109
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obvious prone, bench etc. is there any advantage to a 20 rd mag?

·
Wolverine
9,089 Posts
Twenty is plenty. I have some thirties but they’re second line.

Have to admit part of my bias is from my brother who was in ‘Nam. Apparently the 30’s weren’t as reliable then and not the case now. Still, ergomonics favor the 20’s IMHO. If I had full auto I might feel differently, IDK.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Yeah, I’ve always preferred the 20’s for the HD role. I have a couple Colt 20’s I use, and I also have a couple Lancer 20rd mags, one of which is in my HD AR right now.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you are using an AR Pistol and carrying it in one of the assorted "go bags", it will have a smaller profile making it a bit easier to deploy from the bag.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
I would strongly disagree with that assessment.
I second. PMag or Lancer.
I prefer 20 round mags for AR10/M1A and 30 rounders for AR15.
At the range bench/prone I use 10 rounders for both.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
The M4 Carbine accepts 30 round magazines carrying 5.56mm ammunition, including the Nato M855/SS109 and US M193. Each fully loaded 30-round magazine weighs about 0.45kg.

I am a Viet Nam area Veteran and lots of Veterans are quoting 1960s nonsense just like the WWII Veterans will tell you a .45 ACP hardball round will tear a nazi in half. :drillsgt:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmmmm........imagining a 30 rd mag in conjunction with a triangle guard 20" A1 upper........like rubbing fingernails on a chalkboard. Curved 20s look almost as bad.

Serious answer - no difference.

·
emeritus
3,518 Posts
Twenty is plenty. I have some thirties but they’re second line.

Have to admit part of my bias is from my brother who was in ‘Nam. Apparently the 30’s weren’t as reliable then and not the case now. Still, ergomonics favor the 20’s IMHO. If I had full auto I might feel differently, IDK.
Twenty is plenty until it is not.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
We were issued nothing but Colt 30 rd magazines the entire time I served as an agent. I participated in countless missions and we qualified every three months. We had to throw away a box of magazines every range detail, due to magazine-related failures. Often, rounds would foul on the follower causing spring coil bind or nose-dive into the front of the mag. All of us ran 28 rounds in our mags so we could press the cartridge stack down and check that all was well. Most of us disassembled, cleaned (mag and ammo), and reloaded our magazines after every range detail.

Twenty rounders were never that particular. The Colt SMG magazines are also spotty performers, often spewing the ammo everywhere without warning. Field use exposes the weaknesses of even the best weapons.

·
AAAMAD
30,981 Posts
I’ve used both, never seen a advantage to the 20’s in terms of reliability. They are slightly handier for movement.

·
Range Bum
1,132 Posts
20 or 30 doesn't matter. if i am shooting in a shooting range, I just use a 10 round mag for sweet leisure shooting to save on precious ammo. if I am going to war, I might even take a magpul Pmag d-60.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,025 Posts
I use a 20 for HD role. Smaller form factor and a little lighter. My magazines are all topped up. I've not ever had a failure due to a full magazine.

SpikePistol.jpg

1 - 20 of 64 Posts