Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Infidel :)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential stupid question, but I have to ask -

What is the point of the .223 version of the Rem 700 20" barrel Tactical vs the same gun in .308?

I mean I GET the idea of the barrel length, being handy and short to move around w/ / place anywhere, I mean WHY in .223?

Isn't that a little under powered for two legged critters in a bolt gun vs. a larger caliber?

I get the .223 in a bolt gun for small game, but people?

Flame away! I guess it's just that a larger caliber seems to make more sense to be for "tactical" bolt gun / sniper rifle?

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and from a 20" barrel on a precision rifle, I'd say not underpowered one bit.
That had been my first thought, but it really didn't make sense.

Then I thought about how I have heard of less "underpower" issues from friends in the service who have been to the "sandbox" from full length ARs, but then I also thought "well you have to have some power loss also from the bleed off of the gas from the 5.56 round to cycle the bolt in a 20" M16 still anyway (right? PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!!!!????)".

I KNEW/KNOW there are power loss issues w/ the .223/5.56 in a 16" or less AR/M16, especially in the military M4 length of 14.5".

It just didn't seem to make that much sense to me that a .223 round would pick up that much more power in a 20" bolt gun to be THAT much more effective than a 20" AR/M16. Again, I knew it was MORE, but I did not think it was THAT much more (???).

I figured just going up to a more powerful round made more sense (????).

Decap Pin Killa
I think the question should be if you got to call the ball at Remington, why wouldn't you make one chambered in .223?

In addition to the reasons already stated, you will have a section of the market that simply want something "tactical" for coolness factor, but will only ever use it as a varmint gun. It should excel in this regard. Others will use it for a target gun and the cost of .223 compared to .308 would be really appealing. If for no other reason, .223 is one of the most popular sellers in the country. From Remington's perspective, let the internet geeks get into caliber wars. Just make the damn thing.

Full disclosure - I have a couple AR's, but my bolt guns are .308 and .30-06. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the question should be if you got to call the ball at Remington, why wouldn't you make one chambered in .223?

In addition to the reasons already stated, you will have a section of the market that simply want something "tactical" for coolness factor, but will only ever use it as a varmint gun. It should excel in this regard. Others will use it for a target gun and the cost of .223 compared to .308 would be really appealing. If for no other reason, .223 is one of the most popular sellers in the country. From Remington's perspective, let the internet geeks get into caliber wars. Just make the damn thing.

Full disclosure - I have a couple AR's, but my bolt guns are .308 and .30-06. Just playing devil's advocate here.

I FULLY get the "tacti-cool" factor for all the keyboard / gunshop commands. :)

I guess what I really wanted to know was beyond this, DOES the .223 have a real world place as far as "sniper rifle" beyond that of precision (b/c I get and know that the .223 is a VERY accurate round) round, but as far as a POWERFUL round?

I agree w/ you, it just seems to me something in .308 or larger just makes more sense as far as a "tool" and not a TOY. Don't get me wrong, I like my "toys" too, I just like them to also WORK in the real world too. :)

(PS - I am also torn b/c we already also own two .223 guns and a .308 one too - at least either way I am covered on ammo :))

Registered
You have to ask yourself, if you really need stopping power in a scoped precision rifle which is used for longer, accurate shots. The .223 offers accuracy with little recoil. .223 ammo is generally cheaper than .308.

The M4/M16 in a military application is used also at close distances and a threat that is just wounded, remains a threat at close distances.

Decap Pin Killa
Again, taking the standpoint of a LE sniper, it makes all the sense in the world. You aren't likely to be taking 700 yard shots. It will most likely be from the rooftop across the street. The .223 will perform very well and isn't likely to keep traveling. There's the real world niche as far as I'm concerned.

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to ask yourself, if you really need stopping power in a scoped precision rifle which is used for longer, accurate shots. The .223 offers accuracy with little recoil. .223 ammo is generally cheaper than .308.

The M4/M16 in a military application is used also at close distances and a threat that is just wounded, remains a threat at close distances.

I guess my first issue is # 1 I do NOT have a scoped, precision, long range rifle of any type currently to round out what I do have. Closest thing I DO have is an M1A w/ open sights, and I really did not want to scope that necessarily.

Again, hence why I am still leaning more towards a .308 gun, but I do have to admit the idea of a low recoil, precision .223 gun IS appealing also. :) I guess it's just the "need" not out weighing the applicability of it w/ me.

...........or I could just buy both. :) Hehehehehehehe

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, taking the standpoint of a LE sniper, it makes all the sense in the world. You aren't likely to be taking 700 yard shots. It will most likely be from the rooftop across the street. The .223 will perform very well and isn't likely to keep traveling. There's the real world niche as far as I'm concerned.

True, guess I hadn't thought if it like that. That's the real answer then, it's more of an "urban" kind of thing then.

Of course, again, if you are only going to have ONE then......................

Directiv 10-289
The average distance for a police sharpshooter was around 77 yards.

A 7.62 headshot can leave you with a bullet continuing on and hitting an innocent. In fact there is a LE load of 110gr for the .308 designed to lessen this.

So, the 5.56/.223 makes some sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.