close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20 gauge for home defense?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by rally, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rally

rally

I was thinking about picking up a cheap 20 gauge single shot NEF for home defense. I can pick one up new for $110 bucks for a limited time. Friend and I were talking 20 gauge versus 12 gauge, he said 12 gauge would be cheaper and easier to find ammo for. Not sure but how do the two compare in price to shot? Stopping power for home defense? This would also likely be used by my girlfriend who is medium framed. I was thinking a ammo band on the butt with more shells.

Thanks

2. sigpro357

sigpro357

Nothing wrong with the 20 guage except sometimes it's hard to find buckshot for the 20. But the gun will do it's job. Especially if you barricade yourself in the bedroom which is where the girlfriend should stay in a home break in. Lock the door. Set up a firing position on the door and call the cops. One shot of #3 buckshot will ruin and attackers day.

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

20 will work fine. And you're girl will be more comfortable shooting it, which means she'll be better at it. And more likely to wax the bad guy...

4. snappy

snappy

Will work like a charm for HD and will be easier for the ladies use also. Not a thing wrong with it.

5. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Got my wife a 20 gauge youth model pump Mossberg for $169. Might want to check prices. Oh, btw, she loves it, and it fits her perfectly. She even mentioned wanting to try "skeet shooting" :cool:

6. cdog533

cdog533 Zombie Killer

20 gauge is fine, but a single-shot is cumbersome for home defense...

Best spend a few more dollars and find a short barreled (under 20") pump-action or side-by-side model. Add an elastic buttstock ammo carrier for $10, and you've then got a good defense gun.

7. deputy tom

deputy tom

If I was limited to a 20ga. I would not feel under-gunned.If I had a choice I would opt for a 12ga. More availability in ammo selection and if recoil is the issue I've owned both and low brass 12 ga hurts less than high brass 20ga.Try both before you decide.YMMV.tom.

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

20 ga shot intruder/attacker:faint:
    I grew up with single shots-with some practice you can reload/fire quite fast

9. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

If your lady is more comfortable with it then that is always a good thing. Recoil is also going to be a lot less than with a 12g, which is important since those single shot guns typically kick like mules.

10. Quix

Quix

I bought a Stoger 20 gauge double barrel for my wife, not too much to malfunction at the wrong time. Just pull the triggers. Have it loaded with #4 shot. People CAN miss with a shotgun, figured the extra shot would try and nullify that. Can't think of anything at the moment more intimidating than a *issed off woman pointing a double barrel at someone.

11. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

i agree. used pumps can be found for under 200

12. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Hey! You can get a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 or 20 ga pump shotgun fr abot $149 brand new. Damn good shotguns.

ps
    I like the 20 ga as a defensive weapon. Absolutely nothing wron with that.

13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I would take a 20 gauge over just about any pistol round even though I slightly prefer a pistol for HD. In another thread someone asked if there was much of a difference between a shotgun round and a pistol round so I went out and took this pic. Not sure if you've heard it before but it kind of reinforces the quote "Never ever bring a pistol to a gun fight" :supergrin:

[​IMG]

14. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

This was my thought exactly------ a single shot is still a handy gun for a lot of uses though--- just not ideal for home defense

15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Not ideal, but if that is what you have, the first intruder is going to be in a world of hurt. Briefly.

For a long time my only long guns were a 10-22 and a Springfield 16ga single shot; when I was first married and poor. I always kept a few rounds of buckshot and a few slugs for the shotgun.

16. AFshooter

AFshooter

Remington and Federal both make 3 Buck loads in 20ga.

17. texas_rifle

texas_rifle

20ga is perfectly fine for self defense, yes 12ga ammo is easier to find but as you see by the four links i provide 20ga slug and buckshot is out there currently.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/20-gauge-buckshot

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/20-gauge-slug

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...Id=20004&categoryString=653***9217***20003***

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...Id=20005&categoryString=653***9217***20003***

just two online ammo sellers of many out there. I also like the suggestion above about the mossberg maverick 88 shotguns, a little more kick (if you go 12ga) and a few dollars more just my opinion though (again 20ga is perfectly fine!!!!).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  18. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Love it

19. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

I have an older (1979) Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight M&P with a 20" bbl, parkerized and walnut furniture that I love and keep near me in the bedroom but, my wife was intimidated by it when she shot it. Kept hoping she would warm up to it but, nope.

So, I recently bought a Winchester 1300 Defender in 20ga. for her. It is a very nice little gun. 7+1 of No.3 buckshot is nothing to sneer at and it shoots great. My wife likes it so, it is beside the old Ithaca and I would not feel undergunned with either.

20. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

ouch!!!!