20 D anticipation!!!!!

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Lunatic Fringe, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe On the edge

Well, I finally bit the bullet and plopped down the plastic for the following:

Canon 20D w/ 17-85mm EF-IS lens
    580EX flash
    4 Gb Sandisk card
    BG-E2 vertical handgrip
    an extra battery
    UV and circular polarizer filters

and a couple of other, misc. items

Now the waiting!!! I should have everything by Wednesday or Thursday. Then the fun starts. I'm guessing the first night will be spent just trying to read through the manuals. I have a bad feeling that I will be buying the 10-22mm lens before long. I currently have the 420EX flash for a Elan 7E, so it'll be interesting to play with the remote flash capabilities of the 580 / 420 combo.

Any suggestions on what to practice on?:)

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I got mine a couple months ago.. Wow!
    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393384

Great job getting it with the EF-S 17-85 IS...
    I didn't, and am now in the market for it...

I want the 10-22 as well...

135mm f/2L too...

My 85mm F/1.8 with shade came yesterday from B&H...

Magic Lantern 20D book came today, and I'm getting ready now to kick back and start reading it...

Ya know about this cool site?
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1029

Good luck, and congratulations...

;c
    :)

3. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

I got my 20D a couple of weeks ago. I love it.;3 ;3 ;3

4. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe On the edge

M. Bill,

I just read your other 20D thread... Yeah, it looks like we got pretty much the same thing. Although with some of your left-over stuff from before you're set up better.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the 10-22mm lens before it's over. I still have my Elan 7E and its lenses (28-90mm and 75-300mm) will work on the 20D (45-144mm and 120-480mm effectively), although the 28-90 is a bit redundant with the 17-85.

Your 50mm is sweet. Sometimes a single focal length is the way to go. What is your 50, 1.4 or 1.8? I didn't notice when I looked. That's the only thing I'm concerned about with the lenses I have... the 4-5.6 aperture.

When I get a little of the "ummmmph" back into my checkbook I'd like to pick a couple of fast, L-series lenses, but I may have to wait a while for that.

I feel the same way about the 580EX. I worry about how long it will take me to actually learn how to use it to its limitations. Like I said earlier, I have a 420EX that came with my 7E. The two flashes can be linked wirelessly (is that a word?) and synched to produce double flashes. Actually, I think you can link up to five.

Tracking says I should have my stuff by Thursday, 4:30pm. Of course I don't get off work until 5:30, so I probably won't actually get any of it until Friday.

Living outside of Savannah, there are a lot of marshes and other bodies of water that are always full of egrets (sp?) and cranes and such. I think I'll have to try for some wildlife pics this weekend.

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

User's manual? What's that? ;) Seriously, just take it and go. I know that my 10D is one of the easiest models to work if you know anything about SLRs. I've only used my dad's 20D once, but I felt just as comfortable with it. Canon went over and above the top in designing these models. You can go from being very technical by using full manual mode or you can put it on auto and just point-and-shoot great images. Plus it's super fast at writing to the CF card. You can take multiple shots in a row without a write lag.

6. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I bought a 20D in November and I love it. You will not regret it at all. You will just need to spend plenty of time with it and you will fall in love with it. Good luck!

7. General Sherman

General Sherman

Well being in Savannah you could take your new camera to the beach and practice shooting "heavenly bodies" and post them here to show us how good the lens and camera is. ;f

8. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

That's a great idea...
    I'll do it soon... Shhhhh....

;c

9. Zeker

Zeker

Went from a D30 to 20D a couple of months ago. Now in the process of upgrading to L-Series glass. Just bought an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and have a EF 16-35mm f/2.8L and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L on order. Also toying with the idea of getting a Tilt Shift TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Lens.

Guns and Cameras are keeping me in the poor house.

10. Fast Shadow

Fast Shadow Victory is mine

I bought a 20D last November, I upgraded from a Digital Rebel. The 20D is a hell of a camera, the best bang for buck in photography. I recently traded my 20D plus cash for a 1DMkII as I'm moving further into the realm of motorsports photography and need the extra focus speed. I did some side by side comparisons and at low ISO, there is almost no discernable difference in image quality between the 20D and 1D2. Even at higher ISOs the difference isn't that big. Congratulations on your acquisition.

Since you're in Savannah you have access to a lot of great photo spots. I'm actually heading down there next month to take some photos at Bonaventure.