close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20-30 min/day: walking or lifting?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Cooper, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Cooper

Cooper

Since 11 Jan 07, I have walked every single day for at least 20 minutes. This is my absolute minimum: most days I ran, lifted, or both. But, if nothing else, I always walked.

My main goal is weight loss: I have lost 80+ lbs, and I'd like to lose another 20 or so. I also want good muscle definition.

I'm at a particularly busy time in my life, and I am re-evaluating my walking. Most days, the bare minimum of exercise (20-30 min) is all I have time for. Would I be better served by spending that time lifting?

2. DBradD

DBradD

You should be giving advice, not asking for it! I'll take a shot at your question even though I'm a total amateur.

My guess is that you'd be better off switching to some kind of resistance training, whether it be calisthenics, weight lifting, or whatever. You've bound to have lost some muscle along your trek so far. This might've slowed your metabolism. I'm guessing that you could probably see better continued results by trying to add some muscle back.

I think you might do better with bodyweight only calisthenics considering your time constraints. It eats most of your daily time allowance just driving to a gym. Then again, for all I know, you might have a home gym.

Part of the answer depends on just what you want to do. Do you simply want to do one or the other?

3. McGAP

McGAP

I am bound by the same time restraints, so I do weights (intensely) one day, and hit the treadmill the other. I lost 65 pounds three years ago and have kept it off doing so. Good work by the way!!!

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Twenty minutes of lifting (good, reasonably heavy lifting, with short rest periods - get it done, no BSing or wasting time) will burn more calories and get you in better shape than walking. Keep the rests to no more than a minute between sets, and shoot for 45 seconds. Start the next set a little bit before you feel recovered enough to start. Twenty minutes is enough time to get fantastic weight workouts and will put you in better shape than 90% of the population.

You could also alternate walk days with lifting days.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I think you should lift 3 days weekly and interval train ala Bill Phillip's "Body For Life" three days per week.

6. Cooper

Cooper

Excellent info, y'all.

I am leaning toward doing just what ateamer said. An intense 20-min workout every week day, walking on the weekends.

I have walked so long now, I don't know if I can switch. It is the only quiet part of my day.

Thanks! Keep the replies coming!

7. Marauder.45

Marauder.45 Can'tre-MemberS

What he said.

I'm a big fan of the kettlebell. They cost a little, but you can cheat with a kettlestack for less money. Good cardio workout for the lungs, but resistance based. http://www.kettlestack.com/

Heck, if you like walking, you could Farmer's walk. When you are walking around the block with 40s in each hand, you'll have arms, traps and a grip of steel. Not to mention the additional tax on your cardio and pump in your legs.

8. Halojumper

Halojumper

I tried one of those and wasn't real excited about it. You can get a basic set, say a 35 and a (44 or 53) and be able to get started and still do a good workout. As you practice with those, you will be better able to determine which ones would be the most suitable to add over time.

9. Marauder.45

The problem with the kettlebell is shipping. It's close to $200 with shipping. If you could go to a store and get one, :thumbsup:

I think the stack cost me like $60 shipped, and I had all the weight already. It was an easy way to see if I would take to it, rather than blow $200 and find out KBs weren't for me. Besides the adjustment to the bottoms up press, and not being able to do push ups on top of it. The stack is a cheaper alternative for finding out if the KBs are for you.

10. California Jack

What can one do the k-bells that can't be done with dumbells?

11. DBradD

DBradD

I read that the feel is different because the COM is away from the handles. Never tried it, though. I did read that it's possible to get a closer approximation by grabbing the plates at one end of a DB rather than using the regular handle.

12. Marauder.45

Kind of.

The inertia is different, momentum is different. The balance of the weight is different. It engages the muscles differently. If you don't have a KB, you can do snatches, swings, and presses with a DB. The effect is similar, but different.

13. California Jack

You forgot to say they're more ballistic. :rofl: