Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to upgrade tomorrow morning. I've made a bootable USB. I'm currently backing up Home, and I made a list of the programs I need to d/l after I'm up and running.

I'm a little apprehensive because some things were a pain in the ass to configure. Such as my VPN and Brother printer/scanner and the ability to view RAW thumbnails. Plus all the usual re-configuring to get it how I want it.

I'm glad I only do this once every LTS. Anyone already running 20.04?

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
I'm going to upgrade tomorrow morning. I've made a bootable USB. I'm currently backing up Home, and I made a list of the programs I need to d/l after I'm up and running.

I'm a little apprehensive because some things were a pain in the ass to configure. Such as my VPN and Brother printer/scanner and the ability to view RAW thumbnails. Plus all the usual re-configuring to get it how I want it.

I'm running Debian 10 on my laptop.. but I occasionally get some pretty bad screen tearing. It works fine otherwise, but it is extremely annoying. I'm considering maybe rolling over to Xubuntu (I'll probably use XFCE until I'm put in the grave). I tested about 2mo ago and it worked flawlessly.

I regularly back up my home folder to my NAS, since it holds no "data" (just config stuff)... I can back it up in seconds....

I may give it a go in a bit. Watching Inside Game right now (not a bad movie really)

Edit: There's a simple script I found somewhere a while ago.... basically as long as you set up your appropriate repositories, etc.. you can easily adjust it to add whatever software you want to download and install. Run the script, and it downloads and installs all the software in the script in one shot.

I'll see if I can track it down.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
Well crap... I can't find a flash drive..lol (well I found one but it appears to be toast for some reason)... Wish I had noticed that yesterday as I ordered some stuff on Amazon and would have just tossed a few on there.

Maybe I'll venture out tomorrow and pick up a few somewhere.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
OK.. so I got really bored, and w/ no flash drive.. I figured I'd fire up 20.04 in Virtualbox and take a gander. It seems to be running great, but it's Ubuntu, which means it has more of what I don't want than what I want. I was trying to find that script, and couldn't.. but I thought.. how hard could it be? I'm not a script kiddie at all, but this was beyond simple.

First on the virtual machine I created a file, modified it, then made some changes..
touch install-script
sudo chmod 755 install-script

For a test, I did some simple stuff... basically made sure my system was up to date, then installed/removed some software. Running the script will require sudo, and is a simple sudo ./install-script

#Update and Upgrade
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade --yes

#Install software
sudo apt install vlc rhythmbox-plugins keepass2 rhythmbox synaptic insync deluge --yes

#Remove software
sudo apt remove xfburn ristretto thunderbird parole transmission-common transmission-gtk --yes
Each section is pretty self explanatory what it's doing... worked like a charm

So then I shut down, deleted the virtual machine and restored it from a backup I made when I first created it (essentially I had a new install again). Now I simply wanted to add some custom repositories for software I use, fetch their security keys, and install them as well.

#Fetch Keys
wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys ACCAF35C

#Add Repositories
sudo sh -c 'echo "
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list'

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.insync.io/ubuntu eoan non-free contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/insync.list'

#Run Updates and Upgrades
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade --yes

#Install software
sudo apt install google-chrome-stable vlc rhythmbox-plugins keepass2 rhythmbox synaptic insync deluge --yes

#Remove software
sudo apt remove xfburn ristretto thunderbird parole transmission-common transmission-gtk --yes

#Remove Leftover Packages
sudo apt update
sudo apt autoremove --yes
sudo apt autoclean
The only major changes here, was fetching the keys (which I made the first thing in the script) and added the repositories I needed (in this case, for Google Chrome and insync) then I ran my updates and upgrades. If you don't do it in this order, it will come to a screeching halt as the repositories you just added won't be accessed in the script when you start installing software, and it will error out. When I was done, I noticed I had quite a few packages I no longer needed from previously uninstalled software.. so I removed them with autoremove and then autoclean to clean up all remnants.

You could configure this script to do anything you know how to do via command line.. I always just find adding/removing software the most time consuming thing on a new install. I've got a few more things I have to do, but figured I'd share the jist of it.

Who says us Linux guys don't know how to party on a Saturday night!

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the past I failed to create /home on it's own partition and somehow I've managed to corrupt Wine beyond repair or effective removal so I'm doing an extra clean install :) Here goes...

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
In the past I failed to create /home on it's own partition and somehow I've managed to corrupt Wine beyond repair or effective removal so I'm doing an extra clean install :) Here goes...
I've honestly never put home on it's own partition. Just nuke it. But like I said, w/ my own fileserver.. I keep almost everything there, and backup my home folder to there... it's about a few 100mb in config files and takes no time to move into place when I'm ready.

Good luck...lol

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Install is complete. Configuration time now. I'm hoping in the future I won't need to do all the foot work again unless I manage to break something beyond repair... which I seem to do from time to time :)

Reactions: IndyGunFreak

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
Well, wouldn't you know it... found a flash drive. About 35min from install to completely setup. That script worked out awesome. Screen tearing appears to be completely gone.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
It's been quite a while since I've used Xubuntu... It's actually quite fast. Guessing last time I used it, was probably around 16 something... It was pretty much a slug.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
20.04 is pretty quick. I've got a few more tweaks and then I'll start to transfer data over.

All of my applications installed without a problem. One hurdle I always have is getting RAW thumbnail views and this time is no different.

Reactions: IndyGunFreak

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...and there's not even a gnome-thumbnailer for 20.04. Sheesh, also "format" from the right click does nothing. Have to use gparted or disks.

No other bugs/glitches yet...

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
...and there's not even a gnome-thumbnailer for 20.04. Sheesh, also "format" from the right click does nothing. Have to use gparted or disks.

No other bugs/glitches yet...
I've not used Gnome in ages... just was not a fan of Gnome 3. XFCE has never had the right click format, so I'm used to just using Gparted.

Have you tried other GUI's, or do you just really like Gnome 3? That's fine of course, just curious.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've not used Gnome in ages... just was not a fan of Gnome 3. XFCE has never had the right click format, so I'm used to just using Gparted.

Have you tried other GUI's, or do you just really like Gnome 3? That's fine of course, just curious.

I tried KDE but it was flat and lifeless. I haven't tried any of the others.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
I tried KDE but it was flat and lifeless. I haven't tried any of the others.
You should take a look at some of the others. I'd rather go to the dentist than use KDE (well maybe not, but I don't like it at all).. although KDE 4, the newest release, does have quite a bit of polish to it. MATE is really good, if you liked the old Gnome 2. Basically they just updated all the Gnome 2 code and released it as MATE. Cinnamon is OK.. not really my cup of tea but it's fairly popular. Then you have the two "minimalist" GUI's... XFCE and LXDE (both of which I really like).

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should take a look at some of the others. I'd rather go to the dentist than use KDE (well maybe not, but I don't like it at all).. although KDE 4, the newest release, does have quite a bit of polish to it. MATE is really good, if you liked the old Gnome 2. Basically they just updated all the Gnome 2 code and released it as MATE. Cinnamon is OK.. not really my cup of tea but it's fairly popular. Then you have the two "minimalist" GUI's... XFCE and LXDE (both of which I really like).
I'm willing to trade a little performance for a good looking environment. I had considered Deepin but I don't know if I should trust it securitywize.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
I'm willing to trade a little performance for a good looking environment. I had considered Deepin but I don't know if I should trust it securitywize.
Never heard of it... I generally prefer with the "major" distros, as I know they will typically always have support. Ubuntu, Mint, Debian... then just add whatever GUI you want.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Brother has drivers for most of their products. We have a MFC-J625DW. Download the script, make it executeable and run it to get set up.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brother has drivers for most of their products. We have a MFC-J625DW. Download the script, make it executeable and run it to get set up.
I've not ever seen a script written by them.. They do have the drivers and I got everything up and running Sunday.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
Well, just wanted to say after just over a week... I'm becoming more and more impressed w/ Xubuntu. I'd wrote off the *buntu's a while ago.. mostly because of their bloat, but I understood they had that as it appealed to their user base, which was often inexperienced and newer users.

I'm not sure what has changed over there, but this has been every bit as fast as Debian XFCE... and w/o some of the annoying issues that Debian 10 was causing me (screen tearing being the worst of it)

My NAS is still running OpenMediaVault (Debian 10) and I like it a lot... but if there was a decent webUI for Ubuntu Server (not webmin, it sucks)... I'd probably consider switching.

For now though, things are going swimmingly and I'm happy.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, just wanted to say after just over a week... I'm becoming more and more impressed w/ Xubuntu. I'd wrote off the *buntu's a while ago.. mostly because of their bloat, but I understood they had that as it appealed to their user base, which was often inexperienced and newer users.

I'm not sure what has changed over there, but this has been every bit as fast as Debian XFCE... and w/o some of the annoying issues that Debian 10 was causing me (screen tearing being the worst of it)

My NAS is still running OpenMediaVault (Debian 10) and I like it a lot... but if there was a decent webUI for Ubuntu Server (not webmin, it sucks)... I'd probably consider switching.

For now though, things are going swimmingly and I'm happy.

I've send very few error reports so far. Unsurprisingly they have all been related to Chrome... just like every new update. They only bloat I ever associated with Ubuntu was the Amazon app. I can't think of a single other thing I'd consider bloat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts