2 week notices

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by w30olds, Sep 20, 2018.

1. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

So this is the 2nd job I've ever quit. I've often wondered why employer's don't talk to the employee leaving and ask what they could offer to stay. In my situation there's no reasons to stay. However if said employee is leaving for better pay why not try and get them more money? If you have good people why not take care of them? When they want to talk about issues why not listen and try to help them?

I guess the mentality is oh well we can find someone else to do the job? Maybe cheaper.

When I told my boss I was leaving Monday he didn't even seem to care. I though we had a good working relationship. I know it's just business probably, but if I were a manager and had good people under me I'd try my best to retain them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

To many people in management positions let their egos get in the way of good business sense.

3. Geko45

I'll go on to add that because of the above, it is never wise to accept a counter offer from your current employer even if they do make one. It is the rare exception that your manager will be one of the few mature enough to realize that it doesn't represent a mark of disloyalty for you to shop your skills around to obtain the best offer. Personally, I make it a point to never begrudge someone for accepting a better offer and I never begrudge them for disloyalty if they choose to accept my counter offer if I do make one. Business is business, it's not personal.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I've seen some prople try the "got a better offer" deal on their boss to try to get a raise....never saw it work. Very few prople cannot be replaced.

First shot, 6Actual and Rotn1 like this.
  5. powernoodle

powernoodle

In this culture, people quit so frequently that employers quickly lose emotional energy. You are just one more in a long line of quitters. At least you communicated your intention. Many just stop showing up for work, and that constitutes their "notice" to the employer.

First shot, treg, Rotn1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

This job I got workin....phone interview, I actually said the words, "I'm tempted to quote scarface right now.....but this probably isn't the right time or place..." and still got the offer.

Not sure what I'm trying to say, except it's a good market for hirees right now.

They were asking about ethics....and I was thinking the line " I never...f'ed anyone over didnt have it coming"

But I caught myself.

Oh, now I remember...two weeks notice......not workin for me on this deal.....they'll get a week.....maybe.

7. Geko45

Yes, and to many employees let their ego get involved in their "business" too.

BobCZ and w30olds like this.
  8. w30olds

I was not trying to use my new job for a counter offer. I knew there was no way in hell they'd pay me what I'll be making at my new job. Plus I finally finished up my controls classes for HVAC. When I got this job offer I didn't even think twice about staying. However with that being said it would have been nice to feel appreciated at least. Any who just my random thoughts. Thanks guys

9. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    I don't play the employee/employer games..................when I get dumped on enough, adios

One of my last jobs, they had been dumping on me pretty bad, let it go for some time, something else came along. Several of us went to get trained for the other job, but I knew they would wimp out (and did). I stuck to the idea of leaving. The suck*** management wouldn't even talk direct to me, they had their weasel try to coax me out of leaving.......................I told him, I didn't make this decision, you did it for me.

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am really surprised they are letting you fulfill your two week notice. That is kind of rare these days but mostly only in the corporate world I guess.

/

Dave514, Ross-in-Pa and byf43 like this.
  11. Geko45

Good luck in the new job and don' worry about the "appreciation" factor. The lack of any inquiry on what would get you to stay has nothing to do with whether or not your previous contributions were appreciated. There are a dozen reasons that have nothing to do with the employee that might make a manager choose not to make a counter offer (sales forecasts, economic outlook, job market, etc.)

12. w30olds

Same here. However with me being the HVAC guy it's in their interest to keep me here. Otherwise I'd be fine hitting the road and taking a few days to relax before starting my new job. Plus they're short handed as usual here. It's all good. I'm not busting my butt for them that's for sure

13. w30olds

Thanks man. I appreciate your input. I'm not taking it personally. I've tried to talk to them in the past and nothing ever came of it. So I decided to move along once I got my certificate. Gonna suck being here for another week, but it's all for a better beginning

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

The time to take care of the employee is before they quit. You should not have to threaten to quit everytime you need a raise. There could be exceptions to this but in those few cases the employee probably should have had a conversation with the employer first.

I would never take a counter, it disrespects and wastes the time of the people that offered you more. Crappy move in my opinion.

Ross-in-Pa, Csv and w30olds like this.
  15. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Always offer 2 week notice, if they say hit the road, do it.
    But work the notice out like normal.
    You know you did the right thing!

16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

how long were you at that job? Small company or big conglomerate? I

I have a good friend who worked for the same (less than 150 employee) company since the 70's and he gave his notice in June to leave Jan 1. And the boss talked to him about it because he's only in his 60's and a it's an office job, so he seemed young to retire. The boss asked him if he wanted to do part time work, consulting, etc. When you're with a company for a long time, especially a smaller company, it becomes like a family. The conglomerates...you're just an asset, no different from a printer or desk.

And some advice for the youngsters. When you think about it, there are only 24h in a day. of that:

you sleep 8h
    you eat 1.5h
    you do "bathroom activities" 1h (add 1h to those with enlarged prostates)
    you commute 1h or more
    you're on the job 9h

this leaves 3.5h of free time every day to do what you want.

time at work is THE BIG consumer of your daily activity

Think about this for a moment and choose a profession/employer you don't dread. Life's too short for that.

17. w30olds

Yes. 2 weeks notice is the right thing. Don't want to burn any bridges. Plus might need a good reference down the road.

18. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Bean counters run the show. A job pays X amount with minuscule raises at X intervals. Good or bad employees don’t play much of a role in it.

w30olds likes this.
  19. G29guy06

G29guy06

Question: who paid for your HVAC classes? You or your current employer?

20. Rotn1

Rotn1

While I agree and that was the standard mutual courtesy back in the day; now, not so much.
    Unless it is in your contract you guys owe each other nothing.
    Back in the day when someone offered me two weeks notice, I paid them out that day for the courtesy of offering that notice period. Different attitudes today on both sides....... Which I blame on the Companies / HR Policies. (Everyone hates HR for a reason).

In regards to countering an offer to someone who is leaving. That is very dependent on the circumstances. Sometimes it is a sincere oversight or a smack in the face realization that the person was not being treated fairly. Remember senior management doesn't just sit around wondering how each and every individual is compensated. Most try to stay on top of it, but it is not always possible, particularly when folks are advancing / progressing quickly.
    Ultimately you are worth what the market will pay you. If not here, then somewhere else. The converse is when folks bluff and find themselves unemployed.

Bruce M likes this.