close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2-way radios

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kona2004, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Kona2004

Kona2004

I'm looking for a pair of 2-way radios that will basically just be for use in an emergency/preparedness kit and maybe a little camping. I have some rewards points with Best Buy so looked there first. Any users of the two below? Are they worth it or should I save my rewards and look for something elsewhere?

[​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cobra+-+microTALK+18-Mile+FRS/GMRS+2-Way+Radio+(Pair)/9206968.p?id=1218058779917&skuId=9206968&st=two%20way%20radio

or

[​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola+-+Talkabout+20-Mile,+22-Channel+FRS/GMRS+2-Way+Radios+(Pair)/8824533.p?id=1209165020688&skuId=8824533&st=motorola%20radio#tabbed-customerreviews

2. al_r

al_r

I've got the Motorola's, work well for what I use them for.
    Max city range on GMRS channels is ~1,5 miles; open road about 6 miles.

3. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

We use the Motorolas you listed at work. They have been abused for about three years now and still going strong.

4. Dragline

Dragline

I couldn't find on either of those product descriptions where the transmit wattage was listed. I question the specified range indicated.

I suppose if one person was on top of a mountain, and another person was on top of a mountain 20 miles away with nothing but air in between them, you might get a range like that.

In a city I bet the range is quite short. Better out in the woods but again depends on the terrain.

Out of those two it kind of looks like a toss up as long as they both will take regular batteries in addition to rechargeables. It's always good to have that option out in the field if your batteries die with no access to charging.

5. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

pick one that also has a weather channel radio on it.

6. Kona2004

Kona2004

The range is something I was wondering about also. WM's website had the exact same Motorola listed for I think $17 less. They also had a very mix set of reviews. Most of the negative comments were due to range with some claims of it only reaching half a mile.

7. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

The stated range is a joke. More realistic is 1-2 miles with any kind of obstructions like buildings, trees, etc.

We've had several sets of the Motorolas and been happy with them.

Motorola makes more two way radios than anyone else in the world. Look on practically any cops belt and chances are you'll find a Motorola radio.

Of course there's a huge difference between their commercial units and consumer units but when I was doing comparisons it seemed the Motorolas performed just a little bit better.

8. ipfreely123

ipfreely123 something witty CLM

Got a pair of Midland LXT-300's. they work pretty well. they were pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

9. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

Mine work for about 1 mile at the most around the neighborhood so I'd expect even less in a 'city', but they are fairly handy especially if you are getting them for free. They are great for the wife and kids if they are relatively close by. Saves sticking your head out the door and yelling like the neighbors do for their kids to come home for supper.

Beyond that you need something more robust/powerful. I've got two handheld marine VHF radios that have weather radios for emergency situations. I honestly don't know their city range though as I've never tried them out on land.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010