Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
S&W, SigSauer, H&K, Winchester, and Glock
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Glock 26 on way (10 day waiting period) and am wondering about if I should off my 19 and 43 I have in permit in place of the 26 or continue with the 43 for summer and 19 for winter carry. I have a HK USP 45 for home and woods carry. I had some spare cash and am totally ok with 26 being just something that sits as an extra gun too. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a G26 for several years and I thought it was a great pistol for CCW. When I traveled out to California, I would carry the 10 round mags, but otherwise I would normally use G19 mags in it with mag sleeves. I really like the looks of the Gen 5 G26's and I am thinking one of those might be next on my list to get.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Whatever you decide on, whether 26 or 43, or even 19, I’d suggest selling the other 2 and doubling up on the one you do go with. So if you get the 26 and like it, sell the 19 and 43 and buy a second 26. Then use that pair of 26’s year round. It promotes ease of training, slims down the necessary gear, and makes the necessary spare parts bin smaller. Just my 2¢...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Slide mass on 19, sight radius, velocity are important....19 all day. In theory people want a firearm that's "comfortable" Carrying a firearm is a tremendous responsibility. Think ahead, do you really want a mini carry piece or a full size combat handgun when the need arises.
When, if need ever arises, you need to defend yourself, believe me, reaching and pulling out a full size fighting handgun vs mini...I'd consider the G26 as a back-up gun only, not as primary. Just my .02 and I believe anyone well versed or have been in altercations would agree, if not, they've had no experience on the subject perhaps. Recently in Ohio a gentleman was ambushed by 2 gunman at the end of his driveway, active gunfight where Police said he was fighting hard for his life and shot 15 times, I spoke to officer investigating, he stated,"capacity in this case saved this man's life" He didn't have time to reload, There goes the theory about single stacks. Wolves tend to run in packs, prepare as such.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,125 Posts
I had a G26 for several years and I thought it was a great pistol for CCW. When I traveled out to California, I would carry the 10 round mags, but otherwise I would normally use G19 mags in it with mag sleeves. I really like the looks of the Gen 5 G26's and I am thinking one of those might be next on my list to get.

I agree. That's how I carry my G26.4 with a G19 mag and Xgrip. Gives a whole new feel and I really like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Slide mass on 19, sight radius, velocity are important....19 all day. In theory people want a firearm that's "comfortable" Carrying a firearm is a tremendous responsibility. Think ahead, do you really want a mini carry piece or a full size combat handgun when the need arises.
When, if need ever arises, you need to defend yourself, believe me, reaching and pulling out a full size fighting handgun vs mini...I'd consider the G26 as a back-up gun only, not as primary. Just my .02 and I believe anyone well versed or have been in altercations would agree, if not, they've had no experience on the subject perhaps. Recently in Ohio a gentleman was ambushed by 2 gunman at the end of his driveway, active gunfight where Police said he was fighting hard for his life and shot 15 times, I spoke to officer investigating, he stated,"capacity in this case saved this man's life" He didn't have time to reload, There goes the theory about single stacks. Wolves tend to run in packs, prepare as such.
One example defines the rule now?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I’d keep all 3. I like the options it gives you and see no issues with carrying a different one based on clothing, weather, etc. Especially since they are all Glocks and function the same way.

A larger gun is always preferable but not always practical. I started with a 19 and still love the gun. Unfortunately, with my body type, chronic back pain and work uniforms, I found myself leaving it home as much as I carried it. I then got a 43 and can carry that daily. My theory is, 7 rounds on me is better than 15 at home.

I have since added a 43X so I can choose between the 3. The 43 & 43X still get carried 90% of the time. I train with all three and I do drills with all three every trip to the range. I also carry all 3 strong side at 3:00 O’clock so I don’t t have to change my draw stroke much.

·
Private side
11,583 Posts
Are you able to use 15 rd mags for the 19? That would be the only advantage true advantage I could see it having over the 26.
The 26, being smaller, should be easier to carry with a wider variety of clothing but the 43 is smaller than the 26.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Keep them all.

The 26 is the little gun that shoots like a big gun. I could make the argument for it being my only pistol if I lived in a ten round state. Plus where allowed, it can use any capacity double stack mag.

There are some places where the 43 will fit where the 26 won’t- a pocket for instance- and it is nice to have options.

Finally, everybody needs a 19(or 17).

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I'd much much rather have 9+1 (11+1 with OEM mag extension) 357SIG in a G33 than 10+1 (12+1 with OEM mag extension) 9x19mm in the identical size and weight G26. A G26 won't come close to the 125-gr 1410 ft/s 552 ft•lbf ballistics that a G33 will produce.

Keep the G43 for convenient carry (I do the same with an LCP II), but sell the others to buy something in a caliber that has decent ballistic performance.
Are you from California?
That's not probable if the OP has a G43. It does not please the Overlords to deign to bestow direct sale of a G43 to the unwashed peon-serf mushroom masses in California. :)

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many guns does your issuing agency allow on your permit? If they allow three or more then keep the 43 and 19 on there and add the 26. Always best to have options.

SO91B
My County allows 5

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,125 Posts
I'd much much rather have 9+1 (11+1 with OEM mag extension) 357SIG in a G33 than 10+1 (12+1 with OEM mag extension) 9x19mm in the identical size and weight G26. A G26 won't come close to the 125-gr 1410 ft/s 552 ft•lbf ballistics that a G33 will produce.
Not intending to rehash the whole 9mm vs. 357sig debate, but the ballistics you quote (velocity and energy) are pretty far down on the list of being important. A better factor to determine is depth of penetration and expanded diameter (in the case of a HP). This will depend on the round in question. Sometimes a 357sig will have better penetration/expansion and sometimes the 9mm will have better penetration/expansion.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts

Keep the G43 for convenient carry (I do the same with an LCP II), but sell the others to buy something in a caliber that has decent ballistic performance.

That's not probable if the OP has a G43. It does not please the Overlords to deign to bestow direct sale of a G43 to the unwashed peon-serf mushroom masses in California. :)
But yet, when a 9mm fan shows-up in a thread about the .40 or the sig round, they get blasted for it.
OP, did I miss how many you can have on your permit?
Me personally, I’d keep the 45 if you like taking that into the woods and for HD. The 43 would probably stay too, it’s so easy to carry when you really need something small. If you can have one more, I’d go 19. A very good all around choice for carry.
Saying all of that, if I could have just one, it’d be the 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But yet, when a 9mm fan shows-up in a thread about the .40 or the sig round, they get blasted for it.
OP, did I miss how many you can have on your permit?
Me personally, I’d keep the 45 if you like taking that into the woods and for HD. The 43 would probably stay too, it’s so easy to carry when you really need something small. If you can have one more, I’d go 19. A very good all around choice for carry.
Saying all of that, if I could have just one, it’d be the 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They allow us 5 on our permit. We are in northern California but can have the 15, 17, 19 round magazines as back in March and April for that week they were legal for purchase. Our off roster guns like 43, 48, 43x, etc are always avail for PPT.
As far as 357 sig goes I am not partial to the higher velocity or penetration and that's why I am fond of the 9 and 45. Availability of ammo is important to me too as we once went on a camping trip and a buddy of mine forgot ammo for his Glock 32 and none of the local stores had ammo for him along the way.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I'd say the 43 is the oddball, and my inclination would be to standardize on double-stack 9. But sounds like there's no reason to get rid of anything if you like them all.

From a practical standpoint, I think there's no reason to go below the 19 in size.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts