close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 teens shot during church service in Richmond

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

2 teens shot during church service in Richmond, CA
    Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer

The three suspects - who may have been juveniles - fled after the brash 12:30 p.m. attack at New Gethsemane Church of God in Christ, as the singing of the choir was replaced by frightened screams, said Richmond police Sgt. Bisa French.

The two victims, a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man, were hospitalized and were expected to survive. However, French said, they were not willing to help investigators try to track down their assailants.

"The key people aren't being cooperative," she said.

A church deacon who was present during the shooting, Charles Miller, said one of the victims was struck in the leg and the other in the shoulder. It was not clear, both he and French said, whether they were intended targets.

Miller said some of the more than 120 church members who witnessed the shooting told him the suspects had paced up and down an aisle - apparently looking for one or more targets - before shooting the victims near the back of the church.

Church members "were going to ask them to remove their hoods" before the shooting, he said.

"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a 'pop pop pop pop pop,' " Miller said. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn't know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."

The shooting, at 2100 Roosevelt Ave., comes amid a violent beginning to the year in Richmond, which has already recorded seven homicides. The city is still recovering from a violent gang rape outside a high school homecoming dance last year that made national headlines.

"Obviously it was a very brazen attack - in broad daylight during a church service," French said. "It's very unusual. You'd think a church is a safe place that people can go no matter what circumstances they have in their life or where they are in their life. After today, obviously not."

French said investigators were talking to witnesses and believe some of them can identify the suspects. But French said the congregants - apparently scared to get involved - were unwilling to look at photo lineups.

"I don't understand," French said. "Where do you draw the line?"

She said witnesses to violent crime in Richmond often believe they will face repercussions on the streets, but rarely do.

Miller, 64, said he was deeply troubled by the shooting, which showed a lack of respect for his church and its members.

"It's terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," he said. "It's just something you don't do."

But after police emptied the church and processed the crime scene inside, Miller said, he and some of the congregants returned to finish services, which had begun at 11 a.m.

"We went on and had church anyway," Miller said. "We were giving thanks that nobody was killed. We wanted to go and serve the Lord anyway."
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/15/MNDK1C1O68.DTL

2. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

"...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest on to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

AMEN

3. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

If your not going to help the police, then you can pay your own doctor bills....
    cause I bet they don't have insurance :whistling:

4. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Richmond was a dangerous place when I lived in Contra Costa County 40 years ago.

5. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Send them to Hell to meet their master..........:whistling:

6. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

Revelations, right? :rofl:

7. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

No such book. :dunno: :whistling:

8. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

It's not going to get any better,either.Be prepared, even in the LORD'S house!!

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

They must hang around on Clock Talk in GNG where they learned,

Never talk to the police!

10. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Indeed. Every time I step foot in there. It is just too dangerous not to. Especially given the fact that ex inmates and their families may go as well. Most of the time they're cool, but it only takes one.

11. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

This is why you always carry in Church. :wow:

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Lets see.......

Shooters paced the aisle as if looking for someone in particular,

Victims will not cooperate with the police.......

hmmmmmm

13. A6Gator

A6Gator

I'm thinking the book of Monty Python...

Yet ANOTHER sign to check for before entering a building..."Please remove your hood before shooting..." :rofl:

14. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I love that movie.

LOL, merely keeping quiet in the sanctuary before worship is moving down the list of modern liturgical concerns! :supergrin:

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Is no place sacred?

16. opelwasp

opelwasp ZOG/MORON LUBE

Not in a Godless society.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

How true, and how sad.

18. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I've found that I cannot worship and pray the way I want to when I'm carrying because it puts me in "condition orange," and that mental state isn't conducive to contemplative prayer and Christian meditation/devotion.

I need to learn how to reconcile the two...fast.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I am always on Defcon 4 :wow: anyway at minimum so I am used to it.:tongueout: I can genuflect :supergrin: just fine unless my shirt or jacket is too short and then it might be a problem.

Never understood nor cared about those color coded :dunno: references for alerts. Just give me good ole Defcons.:wavey:

20. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

4 is normal. I think you'd have to be at DEFCON 2 to be synonymous with condition orange. Not to be confused with A Clockwork Orange. That's totally different. And soylent green is people. It's PEOPLE!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010