close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 teens inadvertently shot by police.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Spence, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Spence

Spence

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-teenshooting-010710,0,6122302.story

Police may have inadvertantly shot and injured two teen girls in Adams County Monday when officers returned fire on 4 armed robbers during a botched robbery attempt. The girls had called the police to report the home invasion only minutes before the gun fight.

It happened Monday night at a home in the 7900 block of Mona Court. Two victims, girls 14- and 17-years-old, were shot and received minor injuries.

Today, the girls' mother tells Fox 31 News her daughters were shot, not by the suspects, but by police. And the Adams County Sheriffs' Department confirms that is the scenario they are looking at.

Police say the girls called 911 about 8 pm Monday, when four masked men burst into the house. Investigators say right now it looks like the suspects randomly targeted the house and there does not appear to be any connection between the suspects and the victims.

The Department says the suspects ran outside and opened fire on arriving officers. Four officers returned fire and it looks like two of the bullets went through the walls and windows and hit the girls.

None of the suspects were injured and they fled. Two have since been arrested and police are looking for the others.

Law enforcement sources say this is a complicated police shooting. They say when suspects start shooting, police have a responsibility to respond to that threat.

However, they also have a responsibility to make sure they are aware of their target and background and take into account any risks.

It happened Monday night at a home in the 79-hundred block of Mona Court.

2. spartan985

spartan985

One of the 4 basic safety rules.......

Be sure of your target and whats beyond it.

3. rfenster

rfenster CLM

shouldn't this be in 'cop talk'?

<--- (Ducks)

4. spartan985

spartan985

I lol'd :tongueout:

5. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

When shooting a bottle, yes.
    When shooting a squirrel, yes.

Bottles and squirrels don't shoot back.

6. staplebox

staplebox Trudging along

I wasn't there and I don't know the whole story - and it's an ugly scene to roll up on 4 BG's shooting at you so I can't fault the cops for returning fire but...

Damn. Four cops each go 0 for 4 AND manage to hit 2 girls hiding in their house? I'm not sure how to score that call but it's got to be somewhere below zero, on whatever scale you use.

7. Andy W

Andy W

Are you kidding? Those little b***ards are dangerous.

8. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Were the girls looking out the window?

9. Spence

Spence

LoL maybe, but I'm not that brave!

10. matthewa5

matthewa5

So as long as a badguy is shooting at you, its ok for highly trained officers to not be conscious of what is behind said badguy when returning fire?

I'm NOT saying these Officers are guilty of negligence or anything, I wasnt there, so i wont judge their actions. BUT i do think your logic is flawed with that comment. I expect a gangbanger to not care what direction he is shooting at, not an LEO.

11. GAFinch

GAFinch

I predict a Box of Truth post before the 3rd page.

12. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Im not blaming the girls for this accident but if I hear shots outside my house after Ive called the police I will hit the ground for cover until the shooting has stopped.

13. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

What? You wouldn't grab your Glock/Tac Light and clear the house? Sir I hear bye demand you return to GT newb status until your bonafides can be properly verified!

14. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

This thread is beginning to circle the drain already

15. Naelbis

Naelbis

When bullets are flying around in an urban environment these things happen. Does suck for the girls but I wouldn't be to harsh on the officers. They were fighting for thier lives and probably only shoot once or twice a year. Most LEO firearm training sucks and consists mostly of stationary fire from known distances.

16. Lohtse

Lohtse

I hope the victims are OK.

As for the officers involved, it sounds like they behaved properly - if I remember correctly, the bullets actually went through the walls of the house before hitting the girls. I think most people would assume walls are a good backstop (even though they often aren't!).

17. Rohniss

Rohniss

Sucks for the Girls hope they are ok, but if rounds are coming back at you I have a feeling accuracy will have a inverse relation to the volume of fire and proximity of hostile fire... but that's just me...

18. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Yea but If Im in my bedroom and Im the only one home or my family members are next to me and I hear gun fire from the outside Im not running towards it especially since it may involve the cops that I just called.

Imagine the cops have just killed the armed robbers outside and you come out with your glock in hand and they confuse you for a 4th or 5th robbery. It could be deadly. I rather stay with my family members ready for the threat to come through the door. BTW, I will yell out "this is the home owner and I am armed" in case the cops may be doing their sweep.

Now if I hear intruders and HAVE NOT called the cops yet, then I will do a sweep for any unwanteds.

19. HiddenEyes

HiddenEyes It can be done

Laws will vary from state to state. Some states will make this the fault of the officers, saying they shouldn't shoot unless they can be sure bystanders won't get hurt. That is a very high standard and while maybe ideal it is not realistic. Anyone that has taken fire will know this.

Other states put the blame where it belongs, on the BG's. The idea here is that they started the chain of events that caused the harm. Basically if they didn't start shooting the cops would not shoot back and not hit the girls. This will not make the cops feel any better, but they sure can't help someone if they are killed themselves.

I'd like the story better if the BG's at least got hit, but I don't know the specifics and it might have been almost impossible to get a good shot.

I do hope the girls recover fully and the BG's get caught.

Mr. HE:cool:

20. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

And I wonder why some of the posts in CT are so caustic when it comes to the GP.....:whistling: